Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Has anybody ever burned a 3rd years stand in March and applied Oust in March to clean up cool season. Don't live at my farm checking options. Probably can burn late April

Should clean up cool season grasses with burning in late April. I don't like using Oust on switchgrass because any new seed won't germinate. If you burn this year I bet you will very happy with the results. I wouldn't even use atrazine.

Yea my problems is I am going to have to try to find someone to do it I cant be there at the proper time. So I was thinking I could burn and use a pre emerge. Thanks

I haven't noticed any popping but I haven't looked super close either. I'm gonna guess 2-3 weeks folks will see em. After you notice those peach fuzz grass stems, give em 60 more days to amaze you with growth if they are in good growing conditions. I'll look at mine over the weekend.

I haven't noticed any popping but I haven't looked super close either. I'm gonna guess 2-3 weeks folks will see em. After you notice those peach fuzz grass stems, give em 60 more days to amaze you with growth if they are in good growing conditions. I'll look at mine over the weekend.

I thought it was too early for mine to germinate but I have a bunch of what looks like switch seedlings coming... I'm guessing they are from seed that was already there.

ForumRunner_20160602_231723.jpg

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
What is everyone seeing out of this years new plantings ? Is the low moisture effecting them?

Osenbaugh's is no longer carrying CIR switch they are pushing Shawnee as a better Switchgrass any information on this . I have only ever used CIR.

I mowed some switch this weekend that was frost seeded and heavy atrazine & burn down applications. It's such a wet bottom that some weeds started coming through. Just for reference, (SORRY - I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN PICS!!!!)..... It was about 12" tall, pretty small yet. That's my scenario. Stuff I drilled later, other natives, are about 6" tall. I'm sure it varies all over from one farm to another though, planting time, rain, soil, etc.

new switch.... I would have to ask "WHY" the change? Is it availability or is it that this does have advantages? Yes, CIR can have problems, disease, etc. But, so can others like Blackwell, etc. Honestly, you're likely splitting hairs. I've planted Kanlow and and another variety I can't recall and I don't think you will notice a ton of difference. All have a little different traits (Like Kanlow is taller but more spindly BUT also grows on wetter soils well too). See what the difference is or claims

My SG looks fair at best, between the super wet spring we've had mixed with some corn herbicide washing in I'm sure I'll be reseeding some. Also had an explosion of broad leafs too with the wet conditions, so I will definately be mowing this week. On a brighter note the preparations for the planting lead to the release of a ton of natives that were basically non existent in the Brome grass previously. :):):)

2qv5ikl.jpg

i1bjgn.jpg

Don't mind the equisetum (puzzle grass) in the picture....

Last edited:
I have read every post a few times but does anyone feel you are at a disadvantage of frost seeding say end of November I ask this because of time issues. I would really like to seed while I am hunting because I live 12 hours from my farm and to come back just to seed in March is difficult I could hire it out but I like doing things myself.

I think with 10 lbs. a acre plenty of seed , does the weather have effect on seed damage don't see how it could I mean that's nature. What would be the cons to a early seeding last week November.

Drilling switch in the fall is a very good technique. I am not sure about broak casting at that time, I would be nervous about doing that. Can you get a grain drill in there?

I can get a drill in there, Is your concern that the seed will wash away and not stay were placed, It is killed foxtail I sprayed in September with Gly and Oust after I Mowed and let regrow ...

I can get a drill in there, Is your concern that the seed will wash away and not stay were placed, It is killed foxtail I sprayed in September with Gly and Oust after I Mowed and let regrow ...

I am not sure why...whether the seed gets consumed by birds, mice, etc, or if it is just that the 3-5 month period between broadcasting it and it beginning to germinate is too long or what. I just know that broadcasting that far in advance has not worked well for me.

Drilling it in late in Nov or early Dec though has been one of the better ways to go though for me.

Will fire Kill young red oaks I have a fence line of young trees that boards a CIR filed , wondering if I need to till in front of them. Thanks

Top Bottom