Switchgrass

Discussion in 'Dbltree's corner' started by dbltree, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Daver

Daver PMA Member

I have a patch of switch that has about a foot of growth this year. It also is a south facing slope, so it gets a little warmer, sooner. This past winter was mild enough that soil temps were running ahead of schedule in Feb and March. If there was ever a year where switch may be out ahead of normal, I think this is it.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. ELKY

ELKY PMA Member

I would like to apply some nitrogen to my switchgrass this spring. What is the earliest date I could apply?
    (4 yr old stand)

4. Sligh1

Sligh1 Well-Known Member

If u put it down NOW- be careful.... I would go to coop and buy either smart nitrogen (polymer coated, slower release) 2nd choice: treated Nitrogen to protect from evaporation. I'd be concerned about burning the plants so I'd almost choose the 1st option from the coop or go lighter on option 2.
    U don't wanna burn up plants and both above will help in that regard & evaporation. If those options don't work- put N down around late March of next year for example.

5. Jbohn

Jbohn Member

Any updated on new plantings I have a new planting in , up to 2 weeks ago it was still clean as a whistle... Would think with temps and moisture it should get going soon.

6. Sligh1

Sligh1 Well-Known Member

How old are plants? I would be very surprised if they are not greened up by now and growing well. If u are down in cooler temp bottoms I suppose- situations like that could keep soil temps cooler. Or if there was a substantial amount of old growth on top- takes longer to warm up. bet next time u out there b growing Strong.

7. Jbohn

Jbohn Member

This is a brand new field seeded this winter.. :)My established fields are up and rolling ..

8. HorseDoctor

HorseDoctor PMA Member

That new a field, you'll have to be on your hands and knees with a magnifying glass to see switch. It's there. Be patient. Maybe, just maybe, you'll find a little next year. Just now/spray to keep the weeds under control and you'll have switch in 2 or 3 years. Patience!!!

Sligh1 likes this.
  9. Sligh1

Sligh1 Well-Known Member

This winters seeding.... ^^^. U ain't gonna see a thing until around late June or early July. Lot more patience and mowing- that's for sure. Unless u seeded straight switch where u can blast with post emergents and atrazine.

10. Jbohn

Jbohn Member

All I do is straight Switch I think its the bets IMO , no big deal I have a few other fields I have established , I hit this field with oust last summer and Atrazine this Springs it was clean so figure some might be going , appreciate it..

11. Sligh1

Sligh1 Well-Known Member

Nope. I've waited and waited and sometimes have to catch myself going "is it going to come up?!?!?". FAILURE?!?!? All the sudden mid July hits "hey, here it is". With that said.... If you wanted to dial it in "perfect"..... If it's still clean right now.... If you hit it with Atrazine right now at heavy rate (buying time til germinate) - I would GUESS you will get to August 15-Sept 1 and say "wow, it's waste to chest high in spots and putting on seed heads". Not gonna be super thick but if you do it right it will put seed out FIRST YEAR believe it or not.

12. antleraddiction

antleraddiction Member

I seeded some acres last year and had pretty good results. There were a couple of spot that were fairly bare so I inter seeded more in Feb and then put a strong dose of atrazine out. I checked them out last night and they were about an in. tall.