Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

I'm not in IA but in southeast NE(south of Omaha 30 miles) and my established switch is 4 to 6 inches tall already. Saw it last weekend when planting trees. I was very surprised.

Hmmmm. Ya- spose it’s possible. U pry got some good quality soil, super good sun &/or a variety that may come out of dormancy earlier. Good thing to always check.
Heck- 2-3 weeks ago we were just drying up from SNOW where I’m at ;). Just below Des Moines.

I am going to investigate my fields a little closer when I get a chance. Might hit it this weekend. If there is no switch coming up.

Its heavy clay, and cir variety. All the screens and fields I have of it were shooting up this weekend. We haven't had measurable snow for a long time and not much rain to speak of. It finally started warming up and there have been some very warm days. Soil temp is 62 degrees 4 inches down on bare soil.

I had to be careful when I sprayed my burndown on my bean plots so I didn't hit the switch.

If one is going to check for growth look at the clumps of last years switch that get the most sun exposure and that will tell you right away if one's established switch has started growing.

Here's three pics I walked out and took this morning to ease the minds of the unbelievers;)

This switch is in shadows until about 8. It is on a hill that faces west but other cir stands I saw growing on are in bottoms and hill tops and face north, south, and west.

I didn't walk way into large fields of cir but my screens and in the fields 5 yards or so and they all had shoots popping. I'd be very careful spraying established stand this year. I would have bet the other way prior to witnessing the growth I have.

Attachments

• cir 1.jpg
    cir 1.jpg
    938.6 KB · Views: 299
  • cir 2.jpg
    cir 2.jpg
    942.1 KB · Views: 288
  • cir 3.jpg
    cir 3.jpg
    948.1 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Heat and rain. Same field only 1.5 weeks later. Coming on like crazy

Don't see any of the new planted stuff coming yet.
81ba8f80f2d2ce802b640214b4916e02.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Took me about 5 years to figure out switch grass glad I did. It for sure made me insane for a few years when to spray and trying different herbicides to clean it up , whens it going to come up . For new stands it's like you show up 1 day and there it is and your like where did that come from might be May might be middle of July :) . I remember worrying because had weeds in it or foxtail is it going to make it .For sure has been the #1 habitat enhancement I really learned to be patient even know at first it was driving me nuts.. It been a game changer for me along with other Improvements. I love it... Just takes time managing it then all of sudden your like man I did it I created this. Stands are awesome if there clean and few weeds here and there don't hurt in pockets and what not. Diversity !

Checked the first burn on a 3 year old stand, cleaned it up and really set it loose plant's where up about knee high burned May 1st.. Really Cleaned it up set it free I can see how big that plants have gotten with setting back competition. .. Late burns for me ....Was in there this week end looking at it .. There where fawns everywhere.. :)

Quinclorac 75 Herbicide can this be used on a new planting ? this cleans up foxtail. I have a planting that is a few years old I added some seed to fill it in. Getting some foxtail..

It “should”. I would not call quinclorac a “powerful” herbicide. If it were me.... I’d add atrazine & crop oil to the mix. U wanna keep the mowing option in back pocket too if u need to keep that canopy open. U have a lot of options here in all honesty. If ever wanna post pics of situation if more ?’s or wanna get real specific - post em. Good luck & sounds like u got a dang good project and progress made!!!

I have a great stand of CIR/Kanlow switch, thanks also to Paul and this site. A couple days ago I mowed all of it short to the ground when I saw just how much Canada thistle and poison hemlock were in it. Since it's so early in June and we have tons of moisture, I'm not concerned about getting all my growth back by August. But would any of you guys still try to smoke the thistles by spraying it all with say Crossbow just as things green back up in a week or so? Or would you think the switch will come out of the gate strong after the mowing and dominate at least just for this year while the thistles are hurting, and try to get them sprayed out next year earlier in the season?

I have a great stand of CIR/Kanlow switch, thanks also to Paul and this site. A couple days ago I mowed all of it short to the ground when I saw just how much Canada thistle and poison hemlock were in it. Since it's so early in June and we have tons of moisture, I'm not concerned about getting all my growth back by August. But would any of you guys still try to smoke the thistles by spraying it all with say Crossbow just as things green back up in a week or so? Or would you think the switch will come out of the gate strong after the mowing and dominate at least just for this year while the thistles are hurting, and try to get them sprayed out next year earlier in the season?
I would spay with 2,4-D. I did that to a patch and it is looking good. Thistles very much dead.

In my experience, Canada thistle is not controlled well with 2,4-d. Looks dead but regrow from roots almost immediately. Have had better luck with Milestone but even that’s far short of a sure thing! I would spray with that and then hit it early next spring withGly. Once you have it in grass, I think you’re in for a never ending battle. Wish Canada would take this one back!!! :confused:

In my experience, Canada thistle is not controlled well with 2,4-d. Looks dead but regrow from roots almost immediately. Have had better luck with Milestone but even that’s far short of a sure thing! I would spray with that and then hit it early next spring withGly. Once you have it in grass, I think you’re in for a never ending battle. Wish Canada would take this one back!!! :confused:

Have to hit it early and hard. If it gets any size to it, agree.... not going to work.

Hit it with grazon , kills it dead, even when tall.

Switch right? Have from 1" to 8" tall. Put 4qt acre atrazine but weeds in like crazy. Just one variety if you can tell in background? Idk what it is. Need to decide how much longer to wait to use 2 4 d

b7e3ae381dae1dc3467da2b381697ff0.jpg
fc13ab163b6ff0e07070592d8c8dbd1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom