Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

I hate to tell you this but the plants you pulled up appear to be yellow foxtail to me. When did you put your atrazine down??? Did you get any rain on your atrazine??? It appears like it didn't do hardly anything, what was the field prior to seeding SG???

I would much rather mow now and spray later vs spray too early. I didn't think I would end up with anything (I have a beautiful stand) when I did my first planting. All I heard was patience and that's my advice to you.......

Last edited:
  • Deleted by antleraddiction
Show…
  • Deleted by antleraddiction
Show…
No! Lol. I sprayed second week in May I think. Atrazine and gly since there were some weeds up already. And plenty of rain. This was brassicas last fall. It was clean as a whistle for a month then this weed exploded.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I made a mistake this year & learned the hard way. I should have known better. I didn’t look at buddy’s fall harvest on beans & it skipped past my mind how much foxtail & crabgrass I noticed while helping him plant. Atrazine covers most things but not good on foxtail & crabgrass. I know this but I guess “ignored it”. Mess of crabgrass & foxtail now. Any time a guy gonna deal with this- look to add quinclorac & possibly do multiple burn downs. Here’s very good research/study on atrazine + quinclorac. Only downside to quinclorac is just cost & it’s not bad but about $40/1 lbs & 1 lbs/acre. Do it right or kick urself later like me though. Solid foxtail & crabgrass. I cut at very high rpm & did a little bit lower in this case - long story why but gotta fight em. Might hit with quinclorac & atrazine & crop oil later.
https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2094&context=usdaarsfacpub
893532bc37fb869fa3e3e0d29ccc3b54.jpg

Skip- I got a 4 year old stand I just never got it the way I wanted it because of timing on my part . Getting some pockets of Johnsongrass in there It's not hurting anything but I wanted to get it out. Not sure my option I know I can burn next year and use outrider but it's Salty at like $350.00.. Wasn't sure if I burned and added Oust in early April if that is effective to kill established Johnsongrass.. I also thought about burning and then hitting the regrowth with Plateau. This isn't a spot problem I need to clean up the whole field about 10 acres... I did a burn at the end of April this year and it released the Johnsongrass for Sure.

Last edited:
I read Outrider is Safe to spray on NWSG and will Nuke it . I am going to burn next year and give it a try as it emerges.. Id try it now but have no way to spray field it is to tall .. need to clean the field up and release the natives better.. I do know oust is deadly I have used it on every planting I have done the year prior and it smokes stuff no question.. If I knew it would be effective I would give it a shot I don't think it will kill the established Johnson grass pre emerge in the spring.. Ill do more research or make some calls on that.

Read the Oust label needs 6 ounces an acre to kill Johnson grass , that would smoke the Natives even at an early April spraying before they get going ...

Last edited:
Im not 100% sure on this BUT- I’d certainly look into plateau (imazapic) post emergent on Johnson grass. I know it’s been used for post emergent use to kill it. The part I can’t recall is damage to established switchgrass.

Im not 100% sure on this BUT- I’d certainly look into plateau (imazapic) post emergent on Johnson grass. I know it’s been used for post emergent use to kill it. The part I can’t recall is damage to established switchgrass.

I talked to John Osenbaugh over the week end he said he didn't have much experience with Johnsongrass but has sprayed 24OZ platuea on established switch and didn't kill it said it will turn it purple and effect growth but will not kill established plants. I read 12 oZ acre to kill Johnson grass on the label.. That is an more logical option I have some BB mixed in a touch so that wouldn't effect that..

I bought a little piece of ground last November. I frost seeded about 3 acres of CIR in early March onto ground that had been in corn. The previous owner plowed it and added Anhydrous last fall. I had a few different guys who were supposed to get me some Atrazine. I waited, and mowed, waited, and mowed etc. Was unable to get Atrazine and the Foxtail went nuts! (I did spray with gly on May 10th, but we had an extremely cool, dry spring and I don't think the foxtail was up yet). So now its August 5th and I've got a field full of Foxtail that is 3-4 foot tall with some switch mixed in that is 6-12" tall. Will Quinclorac do me any good at this late date?

Won’t hurt. Might not help this late in game but I guess If I was a betting man- there would be benefit. Hard to say. Make sure u mix methylated seed oil (all easy to find). I’d get that foxtail battled for sure though!! At a minimum - cut high! Don’t let it choke canopy out of young switch.

I bought a little piece of ground last November. I frost seeded about 3 acres of CIR in early March onto ground that had been in corn. The previous owner plowed it and added Anhydrous last fall. I had a few different guys who were supposed to get me some Atrazine. I waited, and mowed, waited, and mowed etc. Was unable to get Atrazine and the Foxtail went nuts! (I did spray with gly on May 10th, but we had an extremely cool, dry spring and I don't think the foxtail was up yet). So now its August 5th and I've got a field full of Foxtail that is 3-4 foot tall with some switch mixed in that is 6-12" tall. Will Quinclorac do me any good at this late date?
I wouldn’t waste my time or money. Ran into this exact scenario 6-7 years ago. Talked to Paul, and he said don’t worry about it. It won’t be a problem the next year. He was exactly right. I had 14 acres of foxtail the first year and very little switch. I mowed it a few times and let it go. The next year I had zero foxtail and a great stand of switch.

I wouldn’t waste my time or money. Ran into this exact scenario 6-7 years ago. Talked to Paul, and he said don’t worry about it. It won’t be a problem the next year. He was exactly right. I had 14 acres of foxtail the first year and very little switch. I mowed it a few times and let it go. The next year I had zero foxtail and a great stand of switch.

As long as the foxtail doesn't seed and you keep it mowed you are golden if it seeds you will have the problem again.. Don't ask me how I know :) I learn the hard way !! I have not had good luck with Foxtail and Atrazine. I use Atrazine and 1.75 qts Dual magnum now and there is no foxtail. Dual magnum I believe is more effective on Foxtail IMO

Won’t hurt. Might not help this late in game but I guess If I was a betting man- there would be benefit. Hard to say. Make sure u mix methylated seed oil (all easy to find). I’d get that foxtail battled for sure though!! At a minimum - cut high! Don’t let it choke canopy out of young switch.
Well, since I already bought the Quinclorac, I'm gonna give it a shot. Thanks Sligh, MN Hunter and Jbohn for the advise. I'll post my results in a week or 2...or 3. Some of the switch is 18" tall. Will it hurt it if I mow at 12"?

Well, since I already bought the Quinclorac, I'm gonna give it a shot. Thanks Sligh, MN Hunter and Jbohn for the advise. I'll post my results in a week or 2...or 3. Some of the switch is 18" tall. Will it hurt it if I mow at 12"?
No issue at all 12” tall. Go get it done!!! Quinclorac with methylated seed oil has had good results. Depends on when sprayed. Being a little later & more mature foxtail.... please fire back on how well it does. Pics if possible!!! Read label on methylated seed oil & quinclrac. Last time I sprayed it- I did about 1 lbs to acre of quinclorac & labeled rate of meth seed oil.

**for the rest of u guys... if u are planting switch with atrazine in crop ground with known foxtail & crabgrass- I personally would spray in early summer before switch germinates..... quinclorac, methylated seed oil, atrazine, heavy Gly & any addition of like 2,4-d or possibly some light metolachlor.
****If I had my choice & control... I’d spray spray spray spray and spray!!!! (Post emergents to kill any weeds that come up before switch germinates). & add lil more pre emergents too if able. It’s crazy how many lil weeds can bust through & cause problems. If a guy can spray 2-3 times- sure is nice. Makes the battle much easier. One and done almost always will have some stuff bust through & how many times I looked at a “weedy” newly planted switch field with 30-45 days before germination with lil weeds coming in- so many times i said “dang it, I need to spray this new weeds!!!!” Sometimes the foxtail & crabgass starts as lil baby carpet and that’s when a guy needs to go in and spray again!!!!

This is positive advise for some...um me... :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You should leave a check strip/patch/area where you don't spray and then compare next year :):)

As long as the foxtail doesn't seed and you keep it mowed you are golden if it seeds you will have the problem again.. Don't ask me how I know :) I learn the hard way !! I have not had good luck with Foxtail and Atrazine. I use Atrazine and 1.75 qts Dual magnum now and there is no foxtail. Dual magnum I believe is more effective on Foxtail IMO
You will have to keep the foxtail mowed about every 3-5 days to keep it from going to seed unless things really get dry. It will just keep producing seed heads, lower and lower. Ill try and snap some pictures the next time I am at the farm. My problem now is, I think the switch is too thick that deer do not spend as much time in there as I thought they would, until gun season that is.

You will have to keep the foxtail mowed about every 3-5 days to keep it from going to seed unless things really get dry. It will just keep producing seed heads, lower and lower. Ill try and snap some pictures the next time I am at the farm. My problem now is, I think the switch is too thick that deer do not spend as much time in there as I thought they would, until gun season that is.

Top Bottom