Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Systemic insecticides for apple trees

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
I'm sure some of you guys on here are noticing Japanese beetles devouring your apple trees. I used to spray Sevin on ours about twice a month and it worked, but it'd rain and need reapplied. Then I learned Sevin is tough on bees so switched to something more bee friendly but it still need reapplied, which is ok for the trees in my yard but I can't do that for the trees I've planted for wildlife.

Anyone ever use any root applied insecticide for keeping Japanese beetles off apple trees? I'd really like to find something I could use and still be able to eat the fruit. I've just began my google internet search and thought I'd throw a post up here as well. I've found some options, they seem spendy, and am not sure yet if the fruit is safe for eating yet?

If U wanna eat fruit & not hurt bees- perythrins like permethrin. Gone reasonably fast & since apples clearly have no blooms - as long as don’t get on flowers & spray early/late in day - be pretty safe. Will kill mites as well which is the major downside of sevin (carbaryl) along with nasty on bees.
Safest is a insecticidal soap or something like neem oil.

Top Bottom