Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

T/C Triumph Breech Plug Help

MO-APE

I'm looking for ideas on how to clean out the fire channel of my breech plug. I'm not sure what got in there from the primer but I can't push it out with a needle, nipple pic, shank of a tiny flyfishing hook, etc. I've tried soaking it in Hoppe's Solvent for two days, tried another few days with T/C solvent and even a few days of water/dawn dish soap.

The channel is so plugged that I can't get any liquid to drain through it, can't blow through it or even see light through it in a dark room holding a flashlight up to it.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm looking for ideas on how to clean out the fire channel of my breech plug. I'm not sure what got in there from the primer but I can't push it out with a needle, nipple pic, shank of a tiny flyfishing hook, etc. I've tried soaking it in Hoppe's Solvent for two days, tried another few days with T/C solvent and even a few days of water/dawn dish soap.

The channel is so plugged that I can't get any liquid to drain through it, can't blow through it or even see light through it in a dark room holding a flashlight up to it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Very small drill bit.

The small fire channel is the part that is clogged (opposite of primer), do you know if Lowes would carry that small of a drillbit?

Look on Amazon and search for orifice bit. They come in a kit of different sizes that are very small with a little handheld pencil style chuck they are very handy for things like this and they are under $10.00.

Last edited:
The small fire channel is the part that is clogged (opposite of primer), do you know if Lowes would carry that small of a drillbit?

Not sure on Lowes, but start small and work your way up. If you are removing metal then you are enlarging the hole more than it was originally manufactured. That isn't necessarily a bad thing as you will get better ignition but too large will result in blowback which is bad news. Without researching it I am guessing a #65 bit would do the trick. http://thinkingafield.org/2012/12/put-some-spark-in-that-muzzleloader.html

Yeah, just be careful... I ordered a new breech plug from Knight a MONTH ago..finally got it today after season ended because I messed the previous one up... oh, they sent me the wrong one but say it will work..I am pretty leary about that

They make a little tiny brush for that. Or a drill bit or a heck of a needle - all the same goals. Primer sounds reasonable. After that.... I'd just buy TWO new breech plugs - not that expensive and it's ALWAYS good to have a back up for reasons like what your'e having.

Thanks all, another one is on order...I'm done for the season. I let you know if I ever find out what the exact problem was.

Look on Amazon and search for orifice bit. They come in a kit of different sizes that are very small with a little handheld pencil style chuck they are very handy for things like this and they are under $10.00.

Agree. Drill bit for the flame channel, but not using a drill. It is unlikely you can or will damage the plug doing this. A torch tip cleaner for the flame hole after cleaning out the flame channel.

I bought a new triumph plug this year, they cost like $45 which shocked me. Serves me right for letting it rust with a copper brush in my muzzy box

T/C, Traditions and most Knight breech plugs use a 1/8″ drill bit
For CVA use a #32 drill bit. Numbered drill bits are machinist bits and can be found at various online supply houses like ENCO, or search “numbered drill bits”. For the actual flash channel a torch tip cleaner works really well. They can be purchased on Amazon or any welding/farm supply type retailer. Make sure to only turn the drill bits by hand. You don't want to remove any metal from inside the breech plug. Good luck.

I would find a good way to hold it down- vice grips etc- and hit it with compressed air or a power washer. Enough concentrated water or air should blast through I would imagine?

The backside is an 1/8" bit but i believe hes talking about the tiny little hole in the powder side, i guess i would attempt to pick at it with a needle or pick set until i could get it loose and then finish cleaning with a torch tip cleaner.
If you know anyone with an ultra sonic cleaning system that is a sure fire way to end up with a spotless breech plug but still requires a cleaning afterwards but it will loosen up any and all fouling

Top Bottom