Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tag your bucks!

Blaster

PMA Member
Guys. I have now heard 2 storys of guys getting there buck and bow taken from them for not tagging there bucks before they moved the animal. Both guys tagged the bucks after taking pictures. Both guys put pictures on facebook and internet sites like this one and the DNR saw the pictures. One was in the back of a truck, and one was on a deer cart. Just trying to get the word out to tag your bucks before you take pictures. Both guys were real exited and forgot to tag the bucks before the picturs and now there out there trophy and bow.:(

Just keeps honest people honest.

Exactly. It is the law though, pretty point blank in the regs as far as the animal needing to be tagged before it's moved. Kinda mind boggling that a CO would confiscate an animal and weapon for that though...

Pretty sad deal, a law is broken but when is some form of forgiveness given, especially if those dude followed the rules and called the deer in within the slotted time from of the time of the harvest.

If I was a betting man, I'd say the counties (CO who is prosecuting) is probably that of some new blood. Blaster wouldn't happen to be our neck of the woods where this happened would it?

I would have a hard time believing that the DNR would take their buck and bow just because they had pictures taken before they tagged the animal, if they tagged it soon after or before the DNR contacted them, the DNR would have a hard time proving when the deer was tagged. All the hunter would have to say is they photo shopped the tag out of the picture. Again that is if the animal was properly tagged before contacted by the DNR.

That's being pretty hard a$$ed if that's the only violation. If, when they came to check out the deer and there still was no tag applied then I would be suspicious. The tv and magazine guys take hero shots the next day in better light all the time and remove the tag. If I remember the regs correctly the tag is not to be removed before the deer is processed.

I hope the stories you are hearing are not true. I know it is the law but I also know some people make honest mistakes. Maybe a fine for it...oaky. Taking the deer and bow is extreme.

Little off topic, but if it is okay to tag a doe on the leg, why not a buck???? I have done this before to take photos. Guess I was hoping a reasonable CO would see without a doubt there was no intent to circumvent the law and save the tag for later.

Pretty sad deal, a law is broken but when is some form of forgiveness given, especially if those dude followed the rules and called the deer in within the slotted time from of the time of the harvest.

If I was a betting man, I'd say the counties (CO who is prosecuting) is probably that of some new blood. Blaster wouldn't happen to be our neck of the woods where this happened would it?

Yes they were both in central Iowa.

Yes they were both in central Iowa.

Boone, Story, Webster, Polk, Warren-All 3 of these dudes are under the age of 35 with Webster's CO being fresh off the boat. Not going to make any assumptions but I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.............

I have to say...this is one subject that really burns me. (Although I appreciate that Blaster is only trying to throw a warning out there based upon what he has heard. So I am not addressing this towards him.)

But are we so short of actual violaters that we need to posthumously track down the dirty scoundrels that took pictures of their otherwise legally taken deer without a piece of yellow plastic taped around the antlers? Good grief!

What about "the discretion of the CO" we are always hearing about? Is there no common sense left in this world? When we are fortunate enough to take a nice buck we look forward to taking nice pictures and to me, nice pictures of nature do not include yellow plastic.

If the DNR would like to come and fine me for that, I will be glad to give them my address. I hardly think that people that are taking deer and posting pictures of them on the internet for their friends and family to also enjoy are where are real "poaching" problems lie.

My buddy shot a doe on public ground in story county EM and it fell in standing corn. He pulled her out about twenty feet into the open before tagging her. $192 ticket.

I have to say...this is one subject that really burns me. (Although I appreciate that Blaster is only trying to throw a warning out there based upon what he has heard. So I am not addressing this towards him.)

But are we so short of actual violaters that we need to posthumously track down the dirty scoundrels that took pictures of their otherwise legally taken deer without a piece of yellow plastic taped around the antlers? Good grief!

What about "the discretion of the CO" we are always hearing about? Is there no common sense left in this world? When we are fortunate enough to take a nice buck we look forward to taking nice pictures and to me, nice pictures of nature do not include yellow plastic.

If the DNR would like to come and fine me for that, I will be glad to give them my address. I hardly think that people that are taking deer and posting pictures of them on the internet for their friends and family to also enjoy are where are real "poaching" problems lie.

Very true. The guy that shoots rifles with spotlight at night or the trespasser that shoot a nice buck off a property that he should not be on...let's go after those guys!

Ha, doesn't surprise me! DNR are spread so thin the way it is then they waste their time with this crap! Guy/gal makes all the effort to harvest a deer with a bow then they throw the book at them for not tagging it right away? What a joke! I agree the law is the law but can't everyone agree that they would rather have the DNR in their area focusing on the bigger problems like headless deer in alfalfa fields?

I agree 100%, do you want more people to follow regulations or do you want to scare us to death where we no longer feel comfortable reporting deer or anything that involves contact with a CO or any form of the DNR.

It is one thing to blatantly break the law, but this in my opinion is going above and beyond. Sickening really.

There are so many pics I see where the tag is not visible, it makes it hard for me to believe the DNR could legally confiscate someones deer and bow based off of Facebook pictures, if that is the only evidence they have. If this is the case there was probably more to the story, like when they contacted the person they found un-tagged deer, that could not be accounted for.

It could be a case of the DNR sending a message to some "questionable" hunters. Maybe they can't get them for the real violations, but this was the only option sort of deal.

I'd be hard pressed to believe the dnr would take a bow and animal without more of a backstory.

Top Bottom