Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tagged out!

LYON

PMA Member
Had some fun this morning and filled my tag! I had to run to my brothers house to pick up my niece and on the way I saw a buck tending a doe in a cut bean field that my brother owns. I finished what I was doing and needed to head to work so I went back that same way to see if they were still out there. Sure enough they were, but were now bedded in a terrace a couple hundred yards off the road. I was able to find both the buck and the doe with the binoculars and made a game plan to put my sneak on. Cowboy boots, jeans, a carhart coat and I was ready!
1f602.png
I was able to work my way to the near end of the terrace which was about 50 yards from the buck. He was laying in the weeds on the top side and the doe was down below him. Keep in mind this terrace is sparse grass and weeds and only about 10' wide so not a whole lot of cover by any means. I slowly inched my way along in the bean field on the top side edge while keeping an eye on his antlers to see which way his head was turned. I got to about 40 yards and felt like I was being too loud on the bean stubble and pieces all over the ground so I took my boots off and went sock footed. I walked crouched down to about 30 yards, then went hands and knees for another 10 which got me to 20. He looked my direction a couple of times during the process but thankfully there was enough stuff between us that he'd eventually turn his head back and look in a direction that was about my 10 O'clock. Once I got to 20 yards, I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but he did it for me. He stood up and stepped out of the terrace and faced me head on. He stood there for a good 5 minutes looking at me. I'm holding my bow in front of myself to break up my outline as best as I can. Once he stood up, I knew he was young and not a buck I'd normally shoot, but decided I was having too much fun and would let er rip if he gave me the shot. Eventually he turned broadside and I was able to draw and nailed him. He went about 100 yards and was done! A few weeks ago, I made a little plastic bracket that holds my phone that I can screw into the stabilizer hole on my bow. I was smart enough to think ahead and clip my phone in and had a chance to hit record about 3 minutes into our stare down so the remaining couple of minutes of him looking at me and the shot is all recorded! It's a little bitter sweet, I definitely have bigger deer that I was after and now I'm done, but what a rush this was!

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Totally awesome video...nothing like letting us be right there with you! Congrats on a great buck!

NWBuck

That’s a great accomplishment killing a deer the Fred Bear way:cool: Really neat congrats!!!

Oh but he knew something was hinky!! Score be damned!! That's about as good as it get's!! Congrats!!!:cool:

Top Bottom