Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taking my son hunting

johng9662

My son is 10 years old and I was curious of the regs for youth that age. He is very interested in knowing what I do while I am out. Is they any rules about whether he can just go out and sit next to me while bowhunting. Just planning on sitting on the the ground because I don't have an extra stand.

Johng9662

If your son is just tagging along then you shouldn't have to worry about regs. other than he should be wearing hunter orange during gun hunts. If he touches any type of weapon then you need to start reading up on the regs. Down here in FL my son can carry his own weapon, w/out a lic. and w/out a completed hunter safety course as long as he is within my reach at all times and game he bags applies to my limit, until he is 16. As a non-res. hunter in other states we hunt such as IA & W.V. he needs a lic. and a completed hunter safety certificate and has his own bag limit and needs to be within arms reach until 16.

I will say this though...it won't take very many trips b4 he decides he wants to be like daddy and start carrying a gun/bow.

I have taken my boys bow hunting and late muzzleloader hunting for the past couple of years. I hunt the urban doe only hunts in October and they love tagging along. Shot a doe the first day out last year and I thought my 7 year old was going to jump out of the tree he was so excited. My 5 year old fell asleep last year and his snooring cut down on the number of deer I saw - but he had a good time anyway. I put up a 10 foot ladder stand and then hang a portable alongside it. I climb the ladder right behind them, strap them in, and then step over to the portable. Works quite well. Had a doe and her triplets come in close our first day out this year, but I didn't get a shot. Oh well, my son was still excited. Take a kid hunting if you get a chance!

Thanks RTN and Rjack for responding. I am planning on taking him out on Saturday. Haven't found anything on the DNRs page that say it is not legal. I sent an email to them to get an answer hopefully I will here back before then. My son is real excited about going. Been working on getting his clothes scent free.

Top Bottom