Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taking Stands Down Before Shotgun

Do any of you archery hunters that hunt public land take your stands down before shotgun season begins? I thought about it and left mine up, and now I am kind of regretting it. I have it locked up with a 3/8" braided cable, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be stolen. It's not that I trust shotgun hunters any less than any others, but the sheer volume of people moving through the woods at this time kind of concerns me. All it takes is one dishonest person to walk by and see your stand and it's gone. :(

I'm sure they will be fine. If anything, you may have had a few people climb up in'em and sit for a bit. I bet they will be there when you go back.

Bought hang on stands? Like sureshot said I would guess you will be okay, because I doubt a shotgunner is gonna want to lug a treestand out of an area with so many people around. That said I know of a place where there were some homemade wooden platformed hang ons on a public piece, and some guy/group thought that the stand needed a bunch, and I mean a bunch, of holes in the platform.

We pull ours down every year, and we hunt on private ground. We don't hunt the late part of the season, and pulling them lets us get a couple more years out of them before needing replaced. Had a buddy leave a couple up on public ground last year. One was stolen and one was left alone, so from his perspective, you have a 50/50 chance!

I always take mine down. In the past I have left them up and they were fine. But there was a few times they were not there. Better safe then sorry.

Top Bottom