Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taxidermist Fraud

157buck

Hey guys, I am in need of some assistance. The taxidermist who has 3 of my deer mounts and two sets of antlers off of 2 salvage deer has left town and moved to another town in Iowa. I have a general area to look, but haven't yet. I have given ample time to complete work (since January) and cannot get return call or message as of now. I have reached out to him and his business partner "wife", and I am getting no communication after several attempts. I fear the worst, that they sold my animals or do not have them. I don't even care about the down payment of $600 for the 3 animals as I just want my possessions back. I have had work done before by these two and was phenomenal. Didn't even see this coming, nor could take these two as thieves. Makes me sick! Has anyone had this issue before? I know there are a few others who know who I am talking about. I am about ready to take action, as I was told it was not criminal yet but civil. The DNR headquarters in Des Moines is my next stop tomorrow morning. The two owners of previous business will not communicate nor will return my animals/racks as requested or asked. The problem started in Osage, IA. Mitchell County DNR is aware of the problem but we allotted for time to finish animals first. Deadline was not met and all communication is lost it seams. Any suggestions would/could help. Thanks for your help, all posts are greatly appreciated.

He will turn up, your possessions probably not. The problem is the legal system can't place an appropriate value on your heads. I feel bad for you and I'm sure many people would say handle it yourself. Reality is the situation isn't worth jail time for you.

I'm breiner11. PM me or give me a call. Brian Reinertson I'm on the board of Directors for the Iowa Taxidermy association and can probably help.

Yeah, I have heard he was in pretty deep, sold lots of animals. Didnt he move to Spirit Lake??

Yeah, him and her both (Rich and Amber Gonnerman), for those who also have/had problems. I know the exact location where they are living and will be going after them. Ryan, I'm not sure exactly what the status on my animals are but if you hear or see any of my antlers, please let me know. Makes me sick! I sure hope they didn't sell anything. Who did you hear this from?

Sucks man. He did my last mount and had it for 16 months, called said it was done, I drove over to pick it up, he said here it is, I looked at it and said that isn't my deer! He said ohhh sorry, I put your antler on somebody else's head and vice versa. He had to tear it completely down and redo. He did get it done finally but yeah after that I would never trust him. And yes I had heard his wife (who has most of the talent) has been working for a taxi in spirit lake for the couple years so I'm sure that's where they made the move to. Sent from my iPhone using IW

Last edited:
Yeah, him and her both (Rich and Amber Gonnerman), for those who also have/had problems. I know the exact location where they are living and will be going after them. Ryan, I'm not sure exactly what the status on my animals are but if you hear or see any of my antlers, please let me know. Makes me sick! I sure hope they didn't sell anything. Who did you hear this from?

Just keep a cool head not worth going to jail over. Best of luck.

This stuff makes me extra mad since it gives all taxidermists a black eye. Just like tresspassers getting a $60 ticket some taxis don't even get a slap on the wrist for this stuff because nobody wants to prosecute. Every trophy is sacred to the hunter and the thought of never seeing it again is sickening.

Here is what a hunter has the right to when working with a taxidermist:
1) a reasonable TAT unless worked out otherwise
2)replies to text and calls within a few days
3)honesty, things happen and people understand if told the truth

I agree with you, Brian. It just floors me to think that some people would stoop so low as to sell another person's trophy for whatever reason. Let's hope this isn't the case with this situation.

As for the OP, definitely find out where this guy is living and pay him a face to face visit, unannounced. Demand that he produce your antlers so you can see them with your own eyes. Hopefully, for your sake, he has them in his possession. At that point, you could take them back, or give him more time. Your choice. In my opinion, the best thing that could happen is you get your antlers and your capes back; then take your business elsewhere. Communication is so important in any business. I understand if he doesn't answer the phone all the time, but he sure as heck better listen to his messages and return calls in a timely manner. I've been in a similar situation years ago, so I know how you are feeling. I was able to get my deer back after 2 years but I had to find the guys parents to locate him. Quite embarrassing. Best of luck to you, and let us know the outcome.

Who are they working for in Spirit Lake. I know both of the taxidermists well? Not to mention both of the CO's in Dickinson County.

Last edited:
I order supplies from Tom Matuska I wonder what he will think of this situation. Tom is a great guy he aims to please.

Tom is aware of the situation and has been a saint (as usual) on trying to rectify things for everyone. He is one of the good guys in this world, I highly respect him as an ambassador for taxidermy and a man.

This problem started in Mitchell county and not Dickinson county. The Mitchell county DNR contact is aware and has not been brought up-to-speed on the current situation. He will be brought up to speed if I do not see results soon. Then, the Mitchell county DNR and myself will also be reaching out to Dickinson county and Osceola county for help. The Mitchell county DNR will be the person to get the investigation started for criminal proceedings. Make no mistake about it, my next avenue is to get law enforcement (DNR) involved for criminal purposes (theft). I will also be reaching out to attorneys for advice and preparing for the worst. I have researched other precedents set with similar cases so criminal prosecution is an option and last resort if necessary. Anyone else who is experiencing problems will be reached out too as well, if this needs to reach such level. It will take a collaboration of multiple parties to get a criminal charge. Multiple civil cases are apparent already, however, money will not solve a thing in said case. There is no money to be had, the ultimate reason for the sudden move/hiding. Word travels fast, and they are aware! I hope Rich and Amber decide to move quickly and do the right thing. For those who are trying to help these two, do not be fooled by deception and lies. They are good at it. Please get the word out to these two any way possible. Those on this website are very intelligent and seem to stick together for the greater good. I know word gets out quick with these forums/blogs. All I ask for is a call from these two so we can work out a resolution/get a plan together for a meet and pick up of possessions without it getting to the next level. I have been told by guilty party (Rich) I would be getting a call and still nothing. The ONLY reason he called was because they have been pressed by the heat being brought. This makes me believe one thing so far. They are hiding something (DO NOT HAVE OUR POSSESSIONS anymore). Those of us who have been deceived and taken for money (deposits of hundreds of dollars) will not get any money back. If so, it would be a miracle. We can only be lucky as to get some or all possessions back at best. At this point, that is ALL I am wanting and what is most important to me. Brian (Breiner11) and Tom Matuska have been very generous to offer a helping hand, and it is greatly appreciated. Rich and Amber Gonnerman ARE aware of the need to rectify the situation. We having been moving forward in the past two days with a little communication at best (a few text msgs by Rich only) only because of Brian and Tom working together to get resolution and peace of mind. From there, it's been the common "I will call you shortly" but receive no calls etc. This seems to be the (good attempt and we are "all good" in Rich's mind) or how he deceives those who have taken an interest or want to help. Nothing more happens from then on. I would like to continue moving forward and actually get the ball rolling with getting possessions back in hand for all of us. Any more advice/help is needed and appreciated. I am thankful and grateful for a close knit community such as you all, to lend a helping hand. You all have good morals and share the same passion for the animal and hunt, something that is hard to explain. This just makes me sick! I am sure you all feel the same...Money is one thing, but a memory and/or a feeling is another.

Top Bottom