Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taxidermy advice for the upcoming season

ReinertsonTaxidermy

I hate to see negative experiences with people on here about their trophies so I decided to post some tips and recommendations for you guys who shoot trophies when you decide who to have work done.

1) go see their work or look at their work on fb or websites
2) do NOT price shop! An extra 50-100 bucks is pennies over the next 20 years
3) ask for references, if they don't have any satisfied customers you can talk to, run don't walk away
4) get them your buck asap! Don't parade it around town in the back of you truck until the cape goes rotten

I know many of the taxidermists in the state and here is who I will personally vouch for. You will be happy with these guys or I'll personally make it right.

Western Iowa- Darrin Brinks
central Iowa- Phil Carlson
Eastern Iowa- Durk Sterner, Sam Gaylord

There are many other great taxidermists in Iowa but these are the guys I know for a fact will give you top notch service and quality.

I hope this helps some of you avoid the hassles you don't want when this should be a celebration, not heartbreak. Feel free to PM me with any ?s or concerns.

Brian Reinertson- Iowa Taxidermy Association Board of Directors

Also, this thread isn't intended to have people chime in on other taxidermists they use. This is for artists I guarantee with do your trophy justice. Hope it helps

I'm so saddened I didn't make the list:( J/K, I'm just a guy that does a couple of dozen a year as a side deal from my full time job and so I don't get over loaded and prevent someone from getting their mount back in a reasonable time.

Breiner11 is a good guy. I've never met him in person but I PM'd him with an industry related question and he helped me like I knew him for years. He cares about the industry as a whole and I agree when you read the "this taxidermist took my mount or ruined it" that it hurts the whole industry.

I'd trust his references without question from my interactions with him.

Also, this thread isn't intended to have people chime in on other taxidermists they use. This is for artists I guarantee with do your trophy justice. Hope it helps

Great post and class act thing to do! Nothing worse than seeing a deer ruined by a terrible mount.

Side note.....I'm shocked Chris Hoskins didn't make the Central Iowa list :D, he does my work and a lot of other guys I'm sure on the site!

Booner, Chris would have been #1 on the central Iowa list but he moved to Colorado. He is a dear friend of mine, can't say enough about his work and him as a person!

Booner, Chris would have been #1 on the central Iowa list but he moved to Colorado. He is a dear friend of mine, can't say enough about his work and him as a person!

Was the move official yet? Last I talked to him couple weeks ago he was waiting to here about his house selling. Either way, he said he'd be back thanksgiving and Christmas and still be doing deer and would take em out with him and bring them back.

Breiner11 is a good guy. I've never met him in person but I PM'd him with an industry related question and he helped me like I knew him for years. He cares about the industry as a whole and I agree when you read the "this taxidermist took my mount or ruined it" that it hurts the whole industry.

I'd trust his references without question from my interactions with him.

I second that. I talked briefly with him at the ITA this spring, and could tell right away that he is very trustworthy and definitely someone I will look up to for a long time. Great post, Brian!

What a class act post. Everyone sit back and think about the business they work for and the industry they are in. It's hard to sit here and give other peoples names who could potentially take business away from themselves.

I have never met Briener but I have shared a few PM's back and forth about a few things and wouldn't hesitate to bring an animal to him if I was a bit closer.

For a few of you Northern - North West Iowa guys... I would put a plug in for Mark Baker Taxiermy out of Lawton, IA and also a plug in for Jim Slocum out of Reading, MN

Both are fantastic!

Good luck to everyone this fall! Great post Breiner!

Well said Brain! I'd say 90 percent of the mounts at the deer classic look terrible but they probably got it done cheap!

I will second greg cuvilier... He has done all my work and is a fantastic guy and taxidermist... He has done 2 deer heads, 2 antelope, 4 birds for me... I have 2 bears, a deer, and a fish there currently to get done yet. He is a year out but well worth the wait in my opinion!

Having seen piles of pictures and a few mounts in person Brian is the real deal when it comes to taxidermy. This post alone should tell you what kind of person he is. He's answered a few questions for me and if something ever happened with my current taxidermist he would be my #1 choice.
Keep up the good work

Another guy from Central Iowa that does great work is Terry Hinegardner. He is also is to get ahold of and communicate with.

Another guy from Central Iowa that does great work is Terry Hinegardner. He is also is to get ahold of and communicate with.

Like I said earlier in this thread. This post is is not for suggestions on others. The artists I named are ones who I personally guarantee the highest quality and service. Just trying to help members who want piece of mind they will get a superior product for their money.

Brian has given a few excellent pointers on selecting a taxidermist from a taxidermists point of view. High (#1) on his list was "Go see their work". I would like to expand on that thought just a touch. As for my background; I am not a taxidermist, I am a consumer. For a lot of years I was a reasonably uninformed consumer. Over the past few years I have become a bit more of an educated consumer. Certainly not a judge, but I think I'm a little more educated than the average consumer. I've got a bunch of deer mounts. No giants compared to many but they are all special to me (& my wife). Anyway, a few things to keep in mind when you go to visit a taxidermist to see their work:

1. Do NOT look at the antlers!!!! God made those, not the taxi!. If you just want to look at the antlers, save your money & do a Euro or a horn mount. Ok, look at how the hair meets the base. Is it neat clean and well placed all the way around? Are the antlers positioned such that the angle of the main beam as it leaves the skull is on the same line as the bridge of the nose/forehead? With rare exception, it should be. Are the antlers mounted symmetrically? Are the antler burrs roughly 2 fingers from the back of the eye? If not, it will likely screw up the eye shape. But overall; do NOT look at the antlers!

2.Look at the eyes. They should be clear, clean and with rare exception, symmetrical. The shape should be correct. Google "deer eye images". They should look like that. Some taxis could help themselves by doing that. The eyes in most instances should look like they are focused on you, no matter where you are in the room. That's what deer do in real life. There are exceptions but they are done on purpose. I have a great mount with a deer rubbing one of my white pine trees. It has the eye on that side slammed shut. Taxi had a tough time getting that one right but he eventually nailed it! I also have a dual pedestal mount where a whitetail buck & a mule deer buck are interacting with each other. That one would look wrong if the deer didn't look like they were looking at each other, but they are the exceptions.

3. Look at the ears. They should have a natural shape. They should be thin and have crisp edges. They should be positioned in any one of a number of anatomically acceptable positions. It's frequently desirable to have ears in different positions. It may accentuate the antlers or just break up the monotony of having every mount's ears upright & erect. They do need to be anatomically correct however. A deer will never position it's ears such that, if it rains, water will run in the ear. They also need to be in emotionally acceptable positions. A deer with one ear up and alert while the other is laid back flat in a totally pi$$ed off position is just plain wrong. Often overlooked but very important are the ear "butts" or base of the ear. This area should be of appropriate size & shape. There are a lot of muscles in that area that allow the ears to do all the moving that they do. They must be part of a correct mount. Not just a big wad of sculpting clay, they should show some definition. The position of the butt is also very important. In a living animal the ear butts are very close to the antler bases. Look at some pix of living deer. Too many mounts have a big gap between the ear butts and the antler base. Some taxis must use dead deer pictures for reference, if they use any at all!

4. Look at the lips. There shouldn't be too much lip showing and for God's sake they shouldn't be smiling!!! I know a guy who was so upset when he got a trophy back that had a smile and raised eyebrows (from a highly recommended taxi) that he started taking classes to learn how to mount his own deer that didn't look "gay". He's doing pretty passable work himself these days! :D

5. Look at the nose. Again symmetry is key. Nostrils should be open but not flared. The nose should have some texture bumps, not flat. Some even recreate the "rosettes" on the nose with little hairs in the center of each one. Probably most important is the nose should not be BLACK. A deer's nose is a complex fleshy grey color, not black!!!

6. Look at the grooming. The hair on the neck should lay fairly flat, even on a long haired late season specimen. It shouldn't look like a "bad hair day". Hair that won't lay flat is a sign the taxi doesn't know how to select the right size form. It should also be groomed down (like down towards the ground, not down the neck). That is the way it is in nature. so that rain runs off, not down the neck.

7. If you can, take a friend with you that is more knowledgeable than you to help you interview a prospective taxi.

8. Lastly, did I say DO NOT LOOK AT THE ANTLERS!!!! They are the one thing on the mount the taxi has nothing to do with. Unless of course, you want the taxi to do repair work on your trophy. Then ask to see their repair work.

Sorry to be long winded, but it really pains me to see someone subject a great trophy to bad taxi work. All you talented & knowledgeable taxis, on IW please feel free to correct anything I've said incorrectly. I'm still learning...

Forgot to add; please, any of the well qualified taxi's on IW, Please feel free to correct anything I've misstated. I'm still learning.

Horse doctor hit it right on the head. I reckon he might know a thing or two about animal anatomy. Many guys think their mounts look "great" but the sad fact is they don't understand anatomy and don't compare their mounts to live deer pictures. The ears lay where they do on all deer, eyes have a consistent shape, hair always lays the same, etc.. I wish people would simply compare their mount to the trail cam pics of the same deer. Does it look the same? If so, you hired a good artist. If not, you could have done better.

This is the whole purpose of this post. The artists I named will do your deer justice I guarantee it. They study and understand what a deer actually looks like. Yes, there are others, but these people are a slam dunk for you that want a wildlife artist when you get that trophy.

Like others have said, look at some of the bucks of a lifetime at the Iowa deer classic. Makes me cringe after seeing some of these monarchs of the woods, they deserve better. These bucks are what make everyone wish they hunted in our great state..

Darrin brinks out of Washburn does amazing work and is a hell of a nice guy! Takes around a year to get deer heads back but I'd rather wait a year then to have someone rush it and end up with a crappy mount!

Top Bottom