Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taxidermy Question is

zvholk

I need to find a tree branch to mount Owens bear on, how do I make sure it’s bug free?

We are getting it done similar to this
d29cec81f8e3059c48274d28bd64fcfc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wait for the water to go down and there will be big drift wood like that laying on shore on many rivers and reserviors around iowa I would think

Heat will kill the bugs. If you can create a makeshift kiln to hold heat around 150F for a short time it will kill whatever is inside. You'd probably want to hold the heat for a good half hour to make sure the interior of the wood reaches temp. This is how bedbugs are killed when they're scattered around the interior of a house.

Another option is to let the piece of wood dry out and then use an insect fogger on it. Place somewhere you can close off and then treat it. I looked into it when thinking of mount ideas. They say water fleas and other tiny bugs are the problem. Dont boil as it opens the woods cells. Everything I had found says to fog it once its dry and then you are worry free.

I know a lot of guys that also spray them with Permitherin. Let them soak for a week or so then spray it off

Top Bottom