Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Teach me about scope rings/mounts.

I'll be in the market for new scope mounts/rings in the near future. Suggestions?

Whats the difference between $20 rings and $50+ rings?

Low, Medium, or High?

1-piece base or 2-piece base? Does it matter? (bolt action gun)

Way too many variables to cover very much but:
Mount as low as you can without touching barrel! More recoil requires more secure/solid bases. That is the rational for 1 piece bases (though I have never had a problem with 2 piece bases up to a 30/378 Wby mag).

IMHO: Correct mounting (straight & secure) trumps most everything else.

Some say that the scope should be as good (expensive) as the gun. Seems silly to use chintzy mounts/rings on an otherwise good setup.

What scope are you mounting, on what kinda gun?

Haven't decided on the scope just yet, but leaning toward the Burris C4 4.5-14x.

Mounting it on a Remington Model 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader.

Remington action is pretty solid so I see no need for a 1 piece base. I am a real fan of Leupold "dual dovetail" rings & mounts but Burris also makes one that looks to be identical. Another option that works well with a black powder muzzy is a "quick release" for easy removal when cleaning. Both Leupold & Burris offer a QR setup. Either setup should suit you well.

Remington action is pretty solid so I see no need for a 1 piece base. I am a real fan of Leupold "dual dovetail" rings & mounts but Burris also makes one that looks to be identical. Another option that works well with a black powder muzzy is a "quick release" for easy removal when cleaning. Both Leupold & Burris offer a QR setup. Either setup should suit you well.

Thank you for your help and advice.

Don't really see much need for a quick release, as I doubt I will take the scope off. Are the quick release ones really that accurate that they can be taken off and then put back on and expect the same accuracy?

Would bases like this work just fine?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/optics/riflescope-accessories/mounts-bases%7C/pc/104791680/c/104752080/sc/104534280/i/104008680/warne-1-2-front-extension-base/1656708.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fmounts-bases%2F_%2FN-1100058%2B4294389018%2FNe-4294389018%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104008680%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

So I'm looking at different bases and mounts, and I like the idea of the Burris Signature rings, but can someone fill me in on Dovetail mounts vs regular Weaver bases and Zee rings?

And are all the dovetail mounts universal? For instance, the site I was looking at ordering the scope and rings from doesnt have the Burris double dovetail mounts, but they have the Leupold ones.

So I'm looking at different bases and mounts, and I like the idea of the Burris Signature rings, but can someone fill me in on Dovetail mounts vs regular Weaver bases and Zee rings?

Nothing wrong with the "Weaver style" base (same as Picatinny rail). Good solid system. Dual dovetail also a a very solid platform. I guess the bottom line for me is; given comparable security, I lean towards the one that is aesthetically more pleasing. (Guilty :rolleyes:) I've got more guns topped with Leupold mounts, rings and scopes that I'll admit to in print and never had a problem with any of them, ever, even with a few heavy recoil boomers. Given that they work equally well, I think that they just look "cleaner" and more streamlined than the Weaver style. That is unless you are building something on an AR platform in which case ya just gotta have a Picatinny rail or it wouldn't look right. ;)

I am certain that the "dual dovetail" components available from Burris & Leupold are completely interchangeable.

Top Bottom