Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Team Justifiable Jakes kill thread.

isu22andy

Turkey season started off for me and I was like was like a kid on Christmas Eve I couldnt sleep I was so excited. Myself and Missionman and a few other clowns on here have been scouting all the week before. Missionman watched the birds fly to the roost the night before so we grabbed a camera thinking we would film a bow kill... Well as 4:30 turned to 5:30 into 6 into light we soon realized the gobblers we roosted were all hens. Disappointed to say the least we packed up and moved on.

After numerous other attempts to use a bow we ran into more snags, birds hanging up, calling in jakes, calling them into 40 yards just for them to turn around and high tail it out of there. Im willing to say I had probably 10+ sits with the old stick and string until I couldnt take it anymore. Me and Missionman started to go our separate ways due to work schedules and lugging around the camera gear got to be a pain. My hopes and dreams of arrowing a bird were in the dumps and I was out for bitter sweet revenge. With a wild look in my eye 4th season rolled around and I dusted off the ol Benelli for a meeting with Mr. Gobbler. After numerous laps around the sections I have permission to hunt (Along with 15 others it seems like ) I finally spotted a strutting Tom and watched him roost into the tree for the next morning. Low and behold I was so excited I had to go tell Missionman and of course missionman happened to be having a campfire fiesta that night so after consuming numerous Blue Yummys and people doubting my ability to get up after consuming blue yummys past my bedtime the 4:15 alarm call was pounding in my head.

Dressed in my camo that now reaked like campfire smoke (Yes I slept in it and had to clean the sheets the following day) I jumped out of bed hit the truck and got to the honey hole. Took off across the field with the avians on my back and just as I leaned against a tree that the top was broken off and in the field (Also conveniently located in a nettles patch i soon find as light breaks) . A lone gobble strikes, CLOSE, I mean 50 yards close than soon goes quiet as I hear the wings flap down to the ground. I finally lay eyes on the strutter and his two ladys probably 80 yards from my setup. I let out a sequence of 2 yelps on the slate and he turns like a mad hornet right at my setup. Dumped him at 25 yards with a 3.5 inch Longbeard XR (Freaking cannon) - Something Ive be'en trying to get with my bow in that range for multiple days. He was toast by 6 am. Double beard 10.5" beard, 7/8s spurs 19.9 pounds.

Anyway here are the pictures. Still wish I could of got one with my bow, I did end up going back out with the bow using the Mojo scoot and shoot. I had 2 encounters under 10 yards, the first one I got drawn back and creaped around the edge of the decoy and was settling the pin and he quickly went out of strut and took off like a bat out of hell. The next one I got drawn back, and I tried going over top the fan to get a shot at him - Turns out thats not the answer. I got within 40 yards of another using the same tactic but he got all spooky and ran off. Drove around for 2-3 more nights and never saw a strutter again (on land I can hunt that is ) so I guess it was my time to be done. Illusive critters. Maybe next year. Thanks for all who contribute to this site, I probably should more as long as Ive been registered now.

bird1.jpg

bird2.jpg

bird3.jpg

bird_4.jpg

bird_5.jpg

Also on my Team is MissionMan. I will post his pics of his bird in a minute and he is supposed to post the story. He shot a monster 10.5 inch beard, 23.6 lbs and 1.5 inch spurs!

Missionmans pictures

turk21.jpg

turk22.jpg

turk23.jpg

turk24.jpg

Last edited:
As requested the tall tales of the 2016 season. Starting with high expectations after roosting the same group of birds multiples days in a row before the season started isu22 and I embarked across the darkness being careful not to make any noise as this was the year we were to both shoot our first toms with bows and on film no less.. Needless to say all hens as we sat in dark silence. This started to become the theme as we hunted together, we could find them usually but we couldn't ever get them to commit.
Finally on my first hunt alone without a camera in the same spot as opening morning no less I heard 487 gobbles from 3 toms be fore they flew down, 100 yards ahead of me across an open hay field.. as usual luck this year for some reason they walked the opposite way they usually do go figure. Now at this point in time I had listened to my peers about not over calling blah blah blah. After the birds went away over the hill, my frustrations had got the beat of me and I started calling like the leader in a marching band. Low and behold I glance out the side window and see one coming hard at 70 yards I position myself for a shot as he comes running past my window and jumps on top of my strutter decoy. He gives strutting see a few spurs to the face before knocking off the fan. This seemed to confuse ol Mr Tom and he strutted at 5 yards long enough to whack him in the money with a rocket 4 blade hammerhead. It hit him so hard he did t even flop around.

As for my scoring bird with a shotgun. Alot less eventful........ on a confidence high from the bow kill i took to the woods looking for a lone Tom I'd been seeing off the highway. I started walking in the general direction I had heard gobbles from the previous scouting trip. Walking across an open. Field expecting to need to walk another half mile I was shocked to hear a gobble about 200 yards ahead and there was only one tree he could be in. Conviently placed between us was a hairy fencline with a gap in the fence right on the top of the ridge line he'd be strutting on after fly down. It was getting light so I bellied crawled behind the strutter decoy to place my hen then belly crawled in reverse to stay out of his sight. I yelped once and he gobbled and gobbled trying to get me to come to him. He flew down and I needed him to actually walk away from me up onto the ridge so he could see the decoys. As soon as it sounded from his gobbles as if he had worked away up onto the peak of the ridge I let out a chorus of yelps. He started coming gobbling every 5 yards he was about a foot from the decoy when I let him eat a few hornady pellets. He was an absolute giant surely looking bigger than my first one but a scale doesn't lie a mere half pound bigger but the spurs were incredible I hadn't ever seen spurs like that . I shot him 6 minutes after the beginning shooting time.
I have plenty of pictures if I can figure out how to post them

Good work guys, sounds like you had an entertaining season and got some nice birds too. Congrats!

Plenty of video of the one looking at the decoys and following his girlfriend's around us at 50 yards lol we have alot of video of strutters 100-200 yards away nothing up close and personal. The morning of the fog and monsoon rain was a highlight 80 yard close call as well

Top Bottom