Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

TeenageHunters 2014-2015 Journal

After a big day Thursday I was stomped on Friday! I couldn't get out of bed to save my life, why you ask? Because I had districts for track. I'll be running on the big blue Thursday and Saturday next week. With that being said, turkey hunting last night was a drag. I didn't see a single turkey or hear a single gobble, then again I did go out at 5:30pm Last night I set 3 alarms and told myself I need to go since this is the final morning I can hunt. I woke up at 4am then I hit the pillow and woke back up to my second alarm at 4:05 I rolled out of bed and made the hour trip to my hunting spot. I drove into the field and wanted to get closer (I'm super lazy today) and drove about 1/4 mile into the field. I get out and hear gobbles about 1/2 mile away on the other side of the fence. I figured nothing would be even close to where I was setting up. Where I setup the landowner took out Walnut trees, I sat in between two walnut logs. I was putting out my hen decoy I heard 3 gobbles probably 70 yards from me in the trees. I look over and it's light enough to see 5 birds total in the trees. I stuck my hen decoy in the dirt and headed back to the walnuts. I've never seen toms strut in the trees before and they were doing just that, which was pretty cool to watch for half an hour. About 6am two hens fly down clucking and the toms soon follow. I watch as they're at 100 yards (No idea I'm there or the decoy). One of the toms start closing the distance, 60 yards and then they all turn around and start going the other way. I thought this was my only chance I'm going to take this. I shot 3 times, the entire time they were just staring at me! On my third shot the tom dropped in his tracks and started flopping he then got up and flew but hit a small tree and didn't move after that.

23.5#

Spurs
1 1/4
1 7/16

Beard
9.5"

New tradition is to have a cat in all my harvest photos.

No medals or victory laps for me. Placed 16th in the 3200 (Was in 4th until lap 6 with a 4:44 first mile) and 13th in the 1600 with a 4:36.12. Most competitive 1600 race for our class EVER.

Great effort regardless, TH. Competing at that level is something to be cherished forever. Hats off to you and the rest of your team!!!

No medals or victory laps for me. Placed 16th in the 3200 (Was in 4th until lap 6 with a 4:44 first mile) and 13th in the 1600 with a 4:36.12. Most competitive 1600 race for our class EVER.

4:36.12 mile that is moving, makes my 8i min miles seem SLOW. Great job competing at state.

It seemed like the whole state track meet this year was FAST. There were lots of records broken from what I read and saw. Congrats on qualifying and running well...you still have next year too!

Great job kid! I agree with Daver, heck of a fast meet! My son ended up 14th in the state in 1A high jump as a freshman. 1A and 2A winners both had higher jumps than 3 & 4A! Crazy. You should be proud, state track is a big deal!

It's official, I'm hunting Elk and Mule deer in Colorado this year!

12135-colorado2.jpg

that will be an awesome trip man. My ole man took me to colorado elk hunting my senior year of high school. A trip I will always remember. Missed a 5x5 and a cow. I still can't believe it.

Thanks guys! It's going to be a blast. I've been working hard on the food plot and I'll be spraying trails tomorrow. I put up a few stands today and the soybeans are coming up great thanks to all this rain! My EW is having a hard time though, I don't think it's going to do the best this year.

Thanks guys! It's going to be a blast. I've been working hard on the food plot and I'll be spraying trails tomorrow. I put up a few stands today and the soybeans are coming up great thanks to all this rain! My EW is having a hard time though, I don't think it's going to do the best this year.

Regarding your EW...if you are having trouble with it now, as an FYI, I have planted it later than this time of the year a few different times and still had a good outcome for the year. So if it is really messed up, IMO you still have time to re-do it.

Regarding your EW...if you are having trouble with it now, as an FYI, I have planted it later than this time of the year a few different times and still had a good outcome for the year. So if it is really messed up, IMO you still have time to re-do it.

Replanted the EW and it's taking off now. Some of the older stuff is germinating now. I think I didn't harrow it good enough. Still pretty busy dealing with summer jobs, 3 swim teams, Club Track, and cross country. My senior year is going to be busy.

I've got some trail camera pictures to upload soon. Besides that everything else is coming along great. I'll be out for a scouting trip in August and more than likely be putting out 3-4 trail cameras.

Finally had time to pull the card today, left it out for a little under a month and got a few great looking bucks on the camera.

12135-shocker_buck.jpg

12135-massive_buck.png

This buck is pretty old!
12135-_274021.png

12135-pict2916_-_copy.jpg

12135-pict1796_-_copy.jpg

Bought 4 Moultrie A-8 Cameras to setup out there and have a new scope on my 7mm WSM. Bought some Cabela's Boa Snake Boots. Buying some Sitka Downpour Gear and Deadshot Fieldpod next. Have to return the range finder because it didn't work. Still have a lot of stuff on the gear list, leaving next Monday to scout and put cameras up! Can't wait to see some Elk and Mule deer. We're zip lining and white water kayaking in Wyoming before I start scouting.

You wouldn't believe the amount of Antelope we saw going up to the mountains.

Went shed hunting on some BLM land in Wyoming, saw a few Mule Deer and Rabbits.

Nobody had been up where we're hunting in a long time. There weren't any tire tracks up there.

It was thick, but there were tons of Elk tracks

Top Bottom