Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Telephone pole tower blind

nemohunter

The local co-op replaced a bunch of telephone poles recently and left the old ones on my farm, I'm wanting to build a tower blind out of some and was wondering if anyone had used telephone poles for this and had any pics or ideas.

I did one with 4 poles in holes. Built a frame 10' up & built a 6'x6' shed with a metal roof & vinyl track sliding windows that my wife hunts out of with a ML. A Buddy heater keeps it quite comfy. Sometimes she will even let me shoot a doe out of it after her tag is filled... :rolleyes: Don't have pictures on this computer, but it looks like an oversize outhouse on stilts only with windows. Keeps the "Boss" happy, which makes my life good... :way:

Another thought would be to use some to make some pretty sturdy bridges across some ravines. I would be thrilled to get some free/cheap telephone poles on my place.

Daver said:
Another thought would be to use some to make some pretty sturdy bridges across some ravines. I would be thrilled to get some free/cheap telephone poles on my place.

I'll have few left if you'd want to come get them for free

I'm located about 20 miles northeast of Macon mo, if someone is seriously interested pm your number and I'll give you a call, I think I have 8 or 9, I'm going to pick the 4 I want and the rest someone can have

I'm located about 20 miles northeast of Macon mo, if someone is seriously interested pm your number and I'll give you a call, I think I have 8 or 9, I'm going to pick the 4 I want and the rest someone can have

If I had a suitable trailer to haul them away, do you have a way to facilitate loading them on the trailer? (I am assuming these will be too big to lift by hand.) Also, how long are they roughly? What does a telephone pole weigh anyway?

We built one out of light pole. 12 ft to the floor. 6x10 box with 4 windows and a normal walkdoor. We also built treated steps up to it. Yes a buddy heater does keep it nice and warm inside. Great place to take the kids and perfect for late muzzeloader.

I wanna build 2 this year, at least 12' to the floor, then build an elevator(ish) to get my crippled butt up inside of it. :D

We built this one a number of years ago with treated 4x6's as the base, but we'd have loved to have had access to some free/cheap power poles at the time...would've worked just fine :way:

P1020559.jpg

NWBuck

Daver said:
If I had a suitable trailer to haul them away, do you have a way to facilitate loading them on the trailer? (I am assuming these will be too big to lift by hand.) Also, how long are they roughly? What does a telephone pole weigh anyway?

I think one way or another we could get them on the trailer with my tractor and loader, I'm thinking they might be around 30-35 feet long, if you wanted them shorter I suppose they could be cut, not sure on weight, somebody else on here might know that

I think one way or another we could get them on the trailer with my tractor and loader, I'm thinking they might be around 30-35 feet long, if you wanted them shorter I suppose they could be cut, not sure on weight, somebody else on here might know that

OK, I say let's go for it then. I have a heavy duty work trailer I could bring that can handle at least 4 poles. I don't know if you need to get rid of them soon or not, but I would prefer to get them when the ground on my place is dry enough to take a truck out across the field close to where I want these poles to be.

The local co-op replaced a bunch of telephone poles recently and left the old ones on my farm, I'm wanting to build a tower blind out of some and was wondering if anyone had used telephone poles for this and had any pics or ideas.

I'm sure you probably already have, but you should check to make sure that you can have them for free. I had 2 replaced and asked REC if I could have the old ones and they said no, but I could buy them if I really wanted them. They wanted $300 each, if I remember correctly. When we built the house they had to run a new line back because there wasn't any service there and had to set 3 poles on my land to access the line out at the road. They were about $700 a piece 20 years ago.

Most REC's will let you have the old poles for free find them out working somewhere and talk to them. We don't like hauling the old poles back to the shop!

Daver said:
OK, I say let's go for it then. I have a heavy duty work trailer I could bring that can handle at least 4 poles. I don't know if you need to get rid of them soon or not, but I would prefer to get them when the ground on my place is dry enough to take a truck out across the field close to where I want these poles to be.

Whenever your ready to get them let me know

Top Bottom