Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The bad, the sad, the best season ever.

nannyslayer

The last 2 years, I have been trapping more than deer hunting during bow season, so I haven't had much tree time. This year, I decided that I was going to put trapping on the back burner for awhile and get back in the tree bow season. I put more hours in this year, than I have in a long time. I killed a couple doe's for the freezer at the farmers request, then went on to buck only hunting.

I hunted hard with not many opportunities at a mature buck. Then, Thanksgiving week, seems like mature bucks were everywhere. I missed a great buck at a close distance, then had an unfortunate incident with my #1 target buck.

Enough with the bad and sad, on to the best season ever! My dad has been coming to Iowa deer hunting for 7 years. He has taken several giant nanny's, but shot opportunities at mature bucks were tough. Seems like no matter what we were always in the right place, wrong time or vise versa.

December 17th rolls around and we are back at it again chasing whitetails. Anymore, it's not about the kill but the time that my dad and I get to spend together. Well, with a heck of story getting him pinned down, several hundred yards of stalking by the both of us from different angles, and putting a horrible shot on him, then having to walk 1 1/2 miles around the section to come in down wind and over the hill from the buck to put the final kill, my dad got it done. He killed a 5 1/2 year old Iowa whitetail. It was a buck I chased around all last year during late season with no shots presented, and this year he lost a few inches, but none the less a great whitetail.

My dad has kept me in the best hunting he could my entire life, I was just happy that I could repay him just once. We were both excited like a couple of kids in the field after he put the final shot on him, definitely a moment that brought back the memories of my first buck I shot back in 1990. This is no where near my dad's first whitetail, but definitely his biggest and one that we will remember forever.

DSCF2005.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

A few days after he left and things calmed down on the farm, I went back out and was able to fill my tag on a nice whitetail. Not a monster, but a nice 4 1/2 year buck. I couldn't be happier on how the season ended.

DSCF2015-1.jpg

Last edited:
Cool buck! Looking forward to seeing your as well. Congrats to your dad and yourself!

A couple awesome bucks! Congrats to you and your dad...hunting with your favorite hunting partner trumps all! :D

Congratulations to you and your dad! Both great bucks but if you are like me, the memories mean more.

Top Bottom