Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The "Black Gun" Thread

So was I, especially with everyone wanting the thread. Anyway, what brand is your AR? I like the looks of it and my next one will be a boringly simple set up with iron sights and probably only a trigger upgrade.

Muddy- It's a DPMS AP-4. Basically a M4 clone with a 16" barrel. The rear sight was actually the carry handle that it came with that I 'chopped down'. There's a few videos of this on youtube. You'll have no problem doing it, very easy.

It started out life with a quad rail, weapon mounted light, Daniel Defense A1.5 rear iron, and a primary arms mini red dot. I decided to go back to only irons & chopped my carry handle. Then, decided to drop some weight and took off the mini red dot and went back to some plastic hand guards I picked up at the gun show. I'm not a fan of the DPMS glacier guard plastic handguards, they are just too bulky for me. I mostly shoot Wolf ammo anyhow, so having a high power scope on it won't really do me any good. I'm surprised at how accurate I can be with the irons. Out to 300 yards I have no problem being 'minute of man' accurate.

Muddy- It's a DPMS AP-4. Basically a M4 clone with a 16" barrel. The rear sight was actually the carry handle that it came with that I 'chopped down'. There's a few videos of this on youtube. You'll have no problem doing it, very easy.

It started out life with a quad rail, weapon mounted light, Daniel Defense A1.5 rear iron, and a primary arms mini red dot. I decided to go back to only irons & chopped my carry handle. Then, decided to drop some weight and took off the mini red dot and went back to some plastic hand guards I picked up at the gun show. I'm not a fan of the DPMS glacier guard plastic handguards, they are just too bulky for me. I mostly shoot Wolf ammo anyhow, so having a high power scope on it won't really do me any good. I'm surprised at how accurate I can be with the irons. Out to 300 yards I have no problem being 'minute of man' accurate.

YOU RUN WOLF STEEL THROUGH YOUR GUN:eek:

Love that FE edition RRA, fricken sweet is right. I'll post my DPMS someday if I can remember :grin:

Ill have to post pics once i get my all my after market on my r-15, and hopefully whenever i get around to finishing my "build" which will probably just turn into an upper to swap in and out

Here is my black rifle. I pieced her together over the last few months.

RRA Predator Pursuit Upper
Spikes Tactical Lower
RRA Parts Kit
Timney 3lb Trigger
Vortex Viper Scope
Burris Mount

RRA1.jpg

RRA.jpg

Guys, I need some help here. Besides the obvious protection from the oncoming zombie apocalypse, what is the best way to justify buying one. Looking pretty hard at a RRA. I want one for mainly thinning out the yotes at my parents' farm.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Guys, I need some help here. Besides the obvious protection from the oncoming zombie apocalypse, what is the best way to justify buying one. Looking pretty hard at a RRA. I want one for mainly thinning out the yotes at my parents' farm.

Because they are great shooting guns, actually, not many factory bolt actions will even shoot with them.

It's your right as an American to own one.

There is no better hunting rifle for yotes.

It's your right as an American to own one.

Their easy to maintain and clean.

And lastly, it's your right as an American to own one. :grin:

Everyone needs an AR!!

Well when i bought my first one my thinking was coyotes are worth 5-10 bucks for a good one. About 1 out of every five i kill is a good one. I probably kill 15-20 coyotes a year. So i just figured in 25 years the gun would actually pay for itself:way:

What are your recommendations on buying partially assembled for someone with zero black gun experience? Don't do it or is there an easy way to do it? I just want to get one but get started at a decent price....then I'll probably get addicted and buy buy buy! haha

What are your recommendations on buying partially assembled for someone with zero black gun experience? Don't do it or is there an easy way to do it? I just want to get one but get started at a decent price....then I'll probably get addicted and buy buy buy! haha

Lots of ways you can do it.

My first couple have all been factory assembled guns. Nothing wrong with going that route. If I were to do another, I'd definitely piece it together myself.

Or, you can buy a full assembled lower and find an upper you like. The lower is the registered piece of the firearm, so an upper could be sent directly to your house. You'd probably get 'more gun for your money' that way. You will find lowers everywhere, your local gun store likely can order them or you'll find them at most any gun show. Just make sure if you order an upper you get a bolt carrier group. Some come with them, if not you'll need to order that seperately.

Lastly, you can build complete from scratch. Buy a stripped lower, order a lower parts kit (LPK) from Midway USA (other any other place) and put the lower together. Then you can either buy a complete upper with the BCG (bolt carrier group) or buy an upper receiver & the barrel, gas port stuff, etc that you need to put it together.

I'd go with one of my first two choices above for your first AR though. Remember you can switch uppers & lowers, so you can run one lower & several uppers. I'm looking to do that for my next build. I'll probably go with an A4 (20" with flat top) type of build.

I'd love to get a POF lower, but those damn things are $$$!! But as far as if you want to go your own route I'd agree with above, You can build from nothing or mix a lower and an upper together which is a very easy route to go

Went this direction instead of the build. Just couldn't help myself when I saw it!
RRA, 5.56/223 came with the 2stage trigger, quad rail, floating barrel
Gonna put a red dot on it for now that I have. Will eventually add a good scope. Just need to put some rounds through it now!
DSC_0007-1.jpg

Walking into the store and walking out with black death is so much more fun than building for the first one.

Nice gun.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Walking into the store and walking out with black death is so much more fun than building for the first one.

Nice gun.

That's for sure! Having a hard time putting this thing down. Cant wait til morning to try it out at the farm

Top Bottom