Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The dirty side of whitetail hunting........

Ya, before Barney Fife shows up and pops his only cap in me because I don't think he should get a buck tag every year. What a freak!

So fletch you are hunting all over the nation, but sitting on the border telling everyone to keep out...this is our ground.

Classic!!

For the farmers who raise havoc and end up voicing through lobbyist's with Farm Bureau..... I think something PRODUCTIVE would be for those guys to be put on a DNR walk on farm program list for hunting. It could target the loudest and most frustrated farmer's land for drastic reductions in deer, turkeys, coons, etc.

Side note, with all that Farm Bureau does that spits in the faces of hunters, wildlife and deer management, I sure hope all of you have moved your insurance to another company.

So fletch you are hunting all over the nation, but sitting on the border telling everyone to keep out...this is our ground.

Classic!!

Do you even read these threads or just post self-serving comments? Seriously, I have NEVER in my life discouraged anyone from hunting here. Like I said, I have encouraged several to apply for tags and have let some hunt my properties. I even run trail cameras for some NR friends and have a good time doing it for them. I have only said that NRLO's should not get preference for tags as it would be detrimental to resident sportsmen. My NRLO friends even agree. What part of that can you not get through your thick skull?

Try reading and comprehending something before spouting off with something that just makes you look silly.

Funny that there are hundreds of NRLO's and only a couple that come here and incessantly whine about how unfair things are. The rest are smart enough to know when they have a good thing.

For the farmers who raise havoc and end up voicing through lobbyist's with Farm Bureau..... I think something PRODUCTIVE would be for those guys to be put on a DNR walk on farm program list for hunting. It could target the loudest and most frustrated farmer's land for drastic reductions in deer, turkeys, coons, etc. Side note, with all that Farm Bureau does that spits in the faces of hunters, wildlife and deer management, I sure hope all of you have moved your insurance to another company.

Great call Sligh

Those farmers raise cane but they don't allow proper management of their ground!

Great call Sligh

Those farmers raise cane but they don't allow proper management of their ground!

It's their neighbors ground they cant allow access on that is the problem more times than not. Most farmers I know that have deer issues, readily allow hunting and encourage it. I did say MOST, not all.

Some farmers want ALL deer dead. Some hunters want enormous populations of deer. Again, there has to be compromise. Economically, it really only impacts one side.

Look I like NR and I like $$$$. I hunt and decided I wanted to lease out my own home farm once. I leased it to a NR and at the time the Money really came in handy. I had another NR who is still buggin me to lease out trhe same land and its almost funny. He threw a check at me and said please pretty please. heck I liked the guy enough that I gave him, thats right gave him an antique Dodge Power for free. I knew he had enough money to get it restored and decided I would pay it forward. So The NR's I'm sure more than once have bailed out a R who needed a little money. I tried to lease out one of my farms and someone on here thought I was someone I was not. After that slap in the face I did not lease it. It sat un hunted and its too bad someone did not get a nice hunt there. I had 2 killer spots I could have put someone for not that much money and they would have had the place all to themselves with hundreds of acres of good habitat around them. I am not all about money but the money spends green if it R or NR. The Misses liked it and I will do it again if I can find some non ying yangs be it R or NR.

I have been the deer horder problem farm in the past. I had so many deer that the neighbors all tried to surround me and cut them all off coming and going. even so the edges were nothing like the middle which was awsome. I left 30 acres of corn stand once and it cost me a lot of coin to do that in the end. all cause i wanted to horde the deer as I liked seeing them.

Last edited:
Do you even read these threads or just post self-serving comments? Seriously, I have NEVER in my life discouraged anyone from hunting here. Like I said, I have encouraged several to apply for tags and have let some hunt my properties. I even run trail cameras for some NR friends and have a good time doing it for them. I have only said that NRLO's should not get preference for tags as it would be detrimental to resident sportsmen. My NRLO friends even agree. What part of that can you not get through your thick skull?

Try reading and comprehending something before spouting off with something that just makes you look silly.

Funny that there are hundreds of NRLO's and only a couple that come here and incessantly whine about how unfair things are. The rest are smart enough to know when they have a good thing.

You are running trail cams for NR? From your posts you sound like the most negative human being I've come across. Who would want you messing with their land. Every time you post something you bash someone, both R and NR.... I'd stay far and away from your advice or help!!

The irony is all on you, bash us for trying to manage our farms that we OWN and you are on the road buying cheap OTC tags in other states.

You are running trail cams for NR? From your posts you sound like the most negative human being I've come across. Who would want you messing with their land. Every time you post something you bash someone, both R and NR.... I'd stay far and away from your advice or help!!

The irony is all on you, bash us for trying to manage our farms that we OWN and you are on the road buying cheap OTC tags in other states.

I only sound negative to you because I don't agree that you should get preference for tags as a NRLO. I maintain that its selfish of you and many NRLO's agree. That's why there are only about three of you whining about it here all the time. Sorry if that makes you feel so picked on.

We will agree to disagree and I will continue to voice my concerns for the wellbeing of Iowans.

For the record, some of the out of state tags I have purchased have been very expensive. Best to keep your comments to yourself when you don't have a clue about the topic at hand. Again, it just makes you look foolish and takes away any credibility you had....which wasn't much.

I only sound negative to you because I don't agree that you should get preference for tags as a NRLO. I maintain that its selfish of you and many NRLO's agree. That's why there are only about three of you whining about it here all the time. Sorry if that makes you feel so picked on.

We will agree to disagree and I will continue to voice my concerns for the wellbeing of Iowans.

For the record, some of the out of state tags I have purchased have been very expensive. Best to keep your comments to yourself when you don't have a clue about the topic at hand. Again, it just makes you look foolish and takes away any credibility you had....which wasn't much.

Let's agree to disagree (thanks!)

If you got nothing positive to add to the debate/discussion then don't post. Read your response, re-read it again, and use common sense. Thanks.

If you got nothing positive to add to the debate/discussion then don't post. Read your response, re-read it again, and use common sense. Thanks.

If that was directed at me, please consider the agitating source here. Otherwise, yes I try to follow the common sense approach.

It's their neighbors ground they cant allow access on that is the problem more times than not. Most farmers I know that have deer issues, readily allow hunting and encourage it. I did say MOST, not all.

Some farmers want ALL deer dead. Some hunters want enormous populations of deer. Again, there has to be compromise. Economically, it really only impacts one side.

I think you make a good point that goes through the minds of SOME farmers. Let's think through this though....
What is THEIR solution (the farmers with "big problems")? After all, those are the guys that are screaming to FB and having FB lobby to wipe out the deer across the state. In these instances, if their neighbor's ground can't be controlled, wiping out deer across the rest of the state isn't going to help them anyways. They will constantly be an island of higher deer #'s and never be happy, even while everyone else suffers from lack of deer.

The reality is, the BEST and most REALISTIC approach is to have these farmers do all they can to put as much pressure on THEIR land as possible. A walk on program for hunting would likely be one of the best approaches. The solution is NOT to eradicate the deer everywhere else - which is what FB would ultimately like, whether they say so or not. So, if there's a better solution, I'd bet folks would have an open mind to it on either side of the issue. Ok, well maybe not FB folks but I know the reps, hunters, DNR, etc are listening.

By the way J.W., the fact that you took the time to learn things about me that have never been posted here is not only flattering, but really pretty creepy of you. Borderline stalking. What's next? You gonna show up at my front door and yell BOO! Or, will I just find you sitting in one of my stands next Fall?

You want to take it to a personal level because I don't support your push for NRLO's to get tags? Do I threaten you? What gives J.W., is that just the law enforcement side of you wanting to be in control?
You guys remind me of a couple of mature bucks meeting in different places but the outcome is always the same.:D

I think you make a good point that goes through the minds of SOME farmers. Let's think through this though....
What is THEIR solution (the farmers with "big problems")? After all, those are the guys that are screaming to FB and having FB lobby to wipe out the deer across the state. In these instances, if their neighbor's ground can't be controlled, wiping out deer across the rest of the state isn't going to help them anyways. They will constantly be an island of higher deer #'s and never be happy, even while everyone else suffers from lack of deer.

The reality is, the BEST and most REALISTIC approach is to have these farmers do all they can to put as much pressure on THEIR land as possible. A walk on program for hunting would likely be one of the best approaches. The solution is NOT to eradicate the deer everywhere else - which is what FB would ultimately like, whether they say so or not. So, if there's a better solution, I'd bet folks would have an open mind to it on either side of the issue. Ok, well maybe not FB folks but I know the reps, hunters, DNR, etc are listening.

I do agree with your points. FB did in fact start a program to match farmers up with hunters. As far as I know, it really never did get off the ground. Not sure FB really tried very hard. I think they would prefer to just line the coffers of some politicians and push their agenda that way instead. I think the program had merit and may have been a decent solution, or at least a nice piece of the puzzle. It only makes sense.

My fear is that it will be a compromise that very few people on either side will ever be satisfied with.

If that was directed at me, please consider the agitating source here. Otherwise, yes I try to follow the common sense approach.

No it's directed at everyone in general, especially the one who keeps reporting posts but himself cannot stop stirring the pot.

I hear ya. I will refrain from commenting on divisive subjects. To let others know I have not reported anyone's posts.

Top Bottom