Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Farm

Outdoor Family

Well I thought I would share some photos of our farm with now over a years worth of play or work or yes fun...I have to pass long many thanks to the ideas on QDM web page and here...(I'm the 10342 person to thank dbletree)..But most important is my family with all four kids getting their hands dirty...and my lovely wife of the year for putting up with....everything..

Fist picture is what we call the middle swat. It is has two corn plots, two bean plots and an nice clover patch....and well a test(mostly dumb test) of surgar beets planted in bare spots in the beans, that I nuke again before spreading the beet seed..day later the rain cover them nicely...nothing really happen with them yet(we'll get a pix of those soon)THIS is the spot....

6933-farm_7-19-11_030.jpg

Now the question here is...Can I broadcast rye, GR, and Crimson Clover into it say late aug??Rye to grab what N , GR to get deep,breakthing up and add nutrients then crimson clover for N in the spring that will be disced in for corn by May...then just swap back and forth each year...Good idea????

6933-farm_7-19-11_018.jpg

This is one of my broadcasted corn plots that was planted after beans last year...no fertilizer added(Mercy College gets evey penny I have right now:rolleyes:)only nuked for weeds....I would like to add another thank you to dbletree and the advice of becoming a Pheasant forever member..well worth the cost of being a member...

6933-farm_7-19-11_026.jpg

Here's another shot with a little clover in the picture......

6933-farm_7-19-11_031.jpg

This is a little 3ish arce plot that I did at the request of my daughter...she wanted sun flowers...well with everything going on it was last on the list...but a call from PF with a bag to try...why not...so I brushhogged it twice(#$*$ MFR and Blackberries) down close and then nuked it twice...right before a rain we broadcast and roll....They are growin and hope to have some yellow flowers for her to look at...I did go around a couple of times spraying weeds with a gallon srayer...and that's killing some of those things....

STOP IN THE ACTION >>>>>WE HAVE RAIN<<<<<<<<YES<<<BEEN WHILE LITTLE A p <>
6933-farm_7-19-11_034.jpg

This pix is of the north side of the farm that we cleared from MFR and Blackberris...Pasture is really inproving...the corn is doing ok but not great...but the beans by the creek are great...broadcast rape and ptt in the bare spots in corn and hopefully my clover/rye/GR in the beans...if thats a good idea....

6933-farm_7-19-11_029.jpg

Here a pix of the ppt and rape broadcasted in bare spots in the corn....

Any idea direct or comments for improvment is always welcomed...

Looks like a lot of hard work is paying off!!! Great job so far. Thanks for sharing the pics.

.Can I broadcast rye, GR, and Crimson Clover into it say late aug??Rye to grab what N , GR to get deep,breakthing up and add nutrients then crimson clover for N in the spring that will be disced in for corn by May...then just swap back and forth each year...Good idea????

Get that mix broadcast into the soybeans as soon as they start turning Konrad and it should do very well. Post some pics this fall and next spring also and let us know how the crimson does overseeded into the soybeans?

All of your habitat is coming along great...especially for not using any fertilizer! Just keep rotating, keep using the combination of rye/radish and clovers as cover crops and food sources and you keep you deer and your soil happy! :)

Top Bottom