Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

the gobble call

J

jason

Does any hunter ever used the shake gobble call? If so, is it just used to draw in the dominant tom, or will it challenge any adult male turkey?
Thanks.

The gobble shaker is used as a "shock" call, just as a crow, barred owl or hawk call would be. It's not meant to be used to call toms in, but rather to locate them by getting them to gobble in response to your calls. I hunt mostly public ground and for safety reasons do not use any gobble calls.

TB

We started in MO before Iowa had a turkey season and in the Ozark mountains we needed locating calls. Today in Iowa the best locator call is a rooster pheasant, every time the cackle the Tom's gobble.

Other than a locator getting them close is the hard part especially late season so we have resorted to "fighting purs" by Knight and Hale. In the early '90 Big Ern and I had a Tom going but couldn't get him any closer, we hit the "purs" and he almost ran us over.

Just me,

TLH

KH126.jpg

Photo contributed by Knight and Hale

The gobble call may be used primarily as a locator call but there are instances where it'll bring a hung up gobbler in closer. I had a group of toms hang at 50 yards and then start working away from me. I hit the gobble call when they were around 100 yards away. The boss bird stopped and turned around then gobbled at me. We exchanged for a few minutes then he broke and came running in to see "who" was moving in on the 2 "hens" he saw. Him breaking brought all the rest and to make a long story short I had my pick of 5 gobblers at about 10 yards after hitting the call. Got my first with the bow that way. Anyway, it doesn't always work, but having a gobble call is worth it in my opinion. Be careful on public ground as you will probably call in more hunters than birds.

MW

Both my brother-in-law and I have used the gobbler shaker-type calls for several years now and have really liked the way they can be used as a locater call. But just like the others have said....don't use it on public ground! ....or ground that you know that there are other hunters in the area. A few years ago I was hunting a tom that I kept locating with a gobble call.....went in to cut him off at the ridge top and BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! 4 shots from some bozo at the turkey I was hunting.....he was barely 70 yards away from me in in the timber. So be careful! Good luck and good hunting!
-GunnerJon

I do not like using a gobble call much myself. And I don't like carrying any more junk than I have to. I shake my box call if I get desperate and have body armor around me. I pull one in once in a while looking for a fight or to cut his buddy's action. Goose call is a great locator also.

Top Bottom