Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The *NEW * Mathews "Outback"

Re: The *NEW * Mathews "Outback" (PIC)

Rack,

How in the world can you get rid of your Feather Max. Every year I look at the new Mathews and want one bad ... but the Feather Max still kills. I have not owned many bows and I've had the Feather max going on 7 years. I absolutley love this bow. Besides the fact that I'm a poor teacher with 4 kids and can't afford anything else.

mole

here's another pic
f9e6d7c9.jpg

I'm sorry Rack, I shoot a Hoyt Supertec set at 75 pounds that will launch a 2413 at 285 fps. I was making reference to sluggish as compared to what I am used to. It is a fast bow plus has super silent draw and release, all of what my bow is not. I actually may get rid of my back up bow and get one of these.............maybe

Well, I bought the Outback today and so far so good. I bought the new Quik Tune rest for it and the jury is still out on it. The adjustment stem on the rest sticks out so far that I can only get 4 arrows in my 5 arrow quiver. Not a big deal since I only carry 3 normally, but hey, what if I want 5 and can't
bigshock.gif
! It also seems to have a vibration in the rest that I'm not real crazy about so I'm gonna see if the bow shop will take it back or trade me for something else and I'll stick to my Trap Door rest I got from Maxracx.

As for the bow, it is smooth. I do think it is louder than my Feather Max, but then I have enough limb savers on it to choke a pig. I shot it through the chronograph and it clocked in at 272fps with the arrows I'm shooting. As a comparison, my F-Max shooting the same arrows clocked in at 253 fps. All in all, I give the Outback
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

As for giving up my Feather Max, well, what can I say, it has been a great hunting partner. I don't think it will get too much dust on it though. I plan to use it as a Turkey buster at the very least and for sure have it along with me in Colorado in case duty calls for one reason or another.

To all you Hoyt guys, I did pick one up at the bow shop and give it a good lookin' over while they where setting up my bow. I have to admit, they are a great looking piece of equiptment and I can see the attraction. I like the way they draw and it felt good in my hand, very well balanced bow. I've never considered buying one,or even shot one, but I might if Muddy didn't have one.
evil.gif

Congrats Rack! You may want to consider the trophy taker it is a hell of a rest that has stood the test of time and I love mine and I know a ton of guys that shoot em and love em... anyway I agree about the Hoyts I shot a RazorTec last year and almost... I say, I say almost walked out of the store with it. They shoot better than they look. Again congrats on the bow and I would be surprised if you end up taking that FeatherMax to the turkey woods instead of the Outback.
evil.gif

Are you shooting ACC's?

Limb, I had been shooting ACC's for about 3 years and had to give them up. Why you ask? The last time I went to buy them they wanted $180 per dozen!!
bigshock.gif
I loved my ACC's, but not that much!$

ACC arrows are way over priced, My brother swears by them but then he swears when he looses one at the league shoots. When he first started purchasing these they where still up there but $180$ is gone way to far. I'll stick to my carbon impact's Fat shaft. alittle bit off topic but could not resist a reply. my $0.02

Rack- so you like the Outback? The archery shop here will not carry them. They say that the won't sell them because of the axle to axle length is to short? I think that is a pi$$ poor reason not to sell them. I just wanted a opinion from someone who has shot one. SHREDDER!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't belive you even shot one, and it seemed like you had good things to say about it.
waytogo.gif

I shot the New Outback at the ATA show in Indianapolis, IN on Friday. It seemed to be a really great bow: quite, quick, very well made and short. Don't buy into that you have to have a long axle length to shoot good. Finding the bow that fits you and your style is the most important thing. I didn't like the Outback as much as the LX, that bow is awesome for a one-cam. Seriously, as far as no hand shock, solid and quick look no further than the LX. I shot 30 different bows and I had to rate the Mathews as a 10. The new hoyt E-Tech is at least a 9.5 to a 10 if your like me and like a 2 cam bow (I mean cam and a half). It's a joke to call these bows a cam and a half, they are a two cam bow. One of these days the pendilum will swing back to the two cam bows and I think the cam and a half is trying to help with that. Its such a big marketing thing, for now a bow company can't compete if they don't at least offer a one-cam, but I think the future will change that.

For the price, I liked the new AR 31" & 34" cam and a half bows: very quick and quite!!! One heck of a buy for a great hunting bow! So many bows to choose from and so little money to spend, unfortunately!
yay.gif

Baby-G, is it the Hoyt Etec or Xtec? i thought it was Xtec? of coure i'm not up on the bow stuff like i used to be.
busted.gif

Muddy,

The X-tech is made by Hoyt.

Man, you Mathews guys must be pretty happy with your bows if you don't even know the competition.

hehehe.... Just kidding!
yay.gif

Yep, I do like it. It's just a shorter LX. It's, silky smooth, and faster than any bow I've owned before. It's shooting right at 275 fps and I don't shoot light arrows. I've shot the LX and it is fantastic. I personally wanted a shorter length bow, so I went with the Outback. I will say that the Outback is a tad louder than my Feather Max but then I had so many Limb Savers on it I could drop it out of a tree and not damage it.

I did add a Limb Saver to the Cable Roller on my Outback and it did seem to cut that last bit of noise I was hearing out. I used the Split Limb type and it worked real slick. I'm probably way behind everyone else with this idea but then what's new. Hang on, I'll take a picture and post it.....Here it is.
582Limb_Saver_on_Cable_Roller_arm-med.jpg

Here's a photo of the new toy as it is...so far. Other than a new quiver hood that matches the new camo pattern I don't know what else I'd change. Probably more Limb Savers, I'm a freak for those things.

582Mathews_Outback-med.JPG

what sight do you have on it? Looks kind of like a Toxonics.

Pretty sweet Rack! Other than the fact there is no iowawhitetail arrow wraps on the sticks looks good!
31045-cheers2.gif

Rudd, It is a Toxonics sight. I just got it. It seems to be a good sight. I like the no alan wrench adjustment on it.

Limb, I didn't want to waste valuable merchandise on target arrows. I have my IW wraps on my killin' arrows!
waytogo.gif

I went to CIA today and looked at the Outback. Man is it a nice looking bow. I also shot a Hoyt Razor tec. Man I was really impressed. It had a trophy taker drop away on it and that really impressed me also. The only thing I didn't like about the hoyt was how loud it was and when you had it back at full draw it seemed like it wanted to jump outta your hands. I was impressed though.

Rack, I just wondering if you have looked at the muzzy zero effect rest. I have it on my legacy. There are alot of moving parts with the rest but hell, there are alot of moving parts on a bow period. It really helped my grouping when I was shooting past 35 yards. It is a good looking bow. I love Mathews bows. I had the fx for 4 years and then went to the legacy. Good luck in drawing first blood with the new bow.

157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

Top Bottom