Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Start of a New Adventure

drakedeerman

Hi guys! My name is Drake Deerman, I’m 19 years old and I live in Alabama. I will be graduating high school in two days and in the next week I will be going to Iowa to interview for two jobs. One is a for sure deal and the other I’m not sure of, so whichever I end up going with will determine where in Iowa I will be living. It will either be in Clarinda or near Osceola. I’ve been reading these threads on Iowa Whitetail for a long time, and I knew this is the first place I wanted to come once I knew I would for sure be heading that way! Iowa has been a dream of mine since I was just 10 or 11 years old, even then I was completely obsessed with not only hunting big deer, but doing everything in between, from working on the habitat, planting food plots, shed hunting, watching deer grow into those big mature bucks that we dream of shooting, etc. which I have been very successful at doing here on our family farm in Alabama, but Alabama just doesn’t have what I’m looking for. And it’s finally time to make my dreams become a reality. I was just wondering if any of you guys were anywhere around any of those areas, or what you guys though of them, from the deer hunting aspect and from just a living standpoint. I’ve been to Osceola a few times and absolutely loved it, but Clarinda will be completely new to me. I hope I can get some good feedback from you guys! And maybe even make a couple friends due to the fact that I’ll be living by myself, not knowing anyone up there. Thanks guys!
-Drake

Welcome Drake. If you last name is really Deerman, that is pretty sweet and you are moving to the right place! I commend any person that chases their dreams, whatever they may be. I made the move, wish I would have done it at your age. You probably wont regret it.

Welcome, I don't know enough about the Clarinda area to say anything, but I know the general Osceola area is very good. Getting access to the better private properties will be a task, but I suspect that it can still be done. I was also going to say that there are plans in the works for an IW get together this summer. If you can attend that I suspect that you could make friends there with someone and that could be very helpful in terms of getting some hunting partners, etc. Good luck and welcome to Iowa...in a few days. :)

Iowa is were dreams become true for a whitetail hunter!!
Either location is in the zone. You’ve done your homework well.
Best of luck and by the sound of the OP you will fit well on this forum so welcome and post often.

Either place has plenty of good habitat. I've got a farm 20 miles north of Clarinda that is pretty decent. The further south you get the more hills & timber you'll find. Gets better & better until you hit the MO border, then the rules/seasons change and it's all different. Clarinda is further from a major metro populations (at least of Iowa residents) so that's a positive. SW IA is somewhat overlooked for deer (and we like it that way). Either place can and has produced the kind of deer I assume you are looking for. Good luck and stay in touch!

Thank you guys for all the kind words! I hope to be living up there in around three weeks, and without hunting up there previously it won’t be too big of a problem getting my resident liscence. When will the IW get together be and where? I’ll be sure to make it up there! And yes, as crazy as it is my last name really is Deerman haha!

Welcome Drake. My advice is be kind to all your neighbors. Iowa has a lot of kind people! If you work your butt off you can find some ground but hunting ground in Iowa is sacred. Honesty and a little hard work could get you on some land. Also don't over-look public.

Congrats! Lottsa good territory around there, both private & public. Good luck on ya as you embark on the next phase of your life!

Good work. Lucas Co is as good as anywhere IMO. A few other countries have the name reckognition but it's good. Real good. You really can't go wrong. Prepare to have some mind blowing encounters never thought possible in years to come. Enjoy the ride.

Top Bottom