Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Stone Knife Saga!

Shovelbuck

It's Ron's fault, it really is. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
This whole epic event started the other evening when Ron PM'd me this photo...........
Bone_knife.jpg

He said something like....."this is a cool looking knife"

I thought so also, and told him that I bet I could have one built before he did. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
This "simple" primitive knife has tested me greatly since yesterday afternoon at which time I was ready to box it up and send to Ron and have him build it! But I wasn't quite ready to admit defeat quite yet.

Let's start at the beginning.
I left the house yesterday morning telling my wife that I was headed to the river to get a leg bone from a deer. She looked at me a bit strange, said I was weird, and I was on my way. I knew where a dead buck had been laying since two hunting seasons ago so I figured this would be a quick trip. I was incorrect. A couple years of leaves and other woods stuff had completely covered the skeleton. What nature gives, she takes away. Thankfully, I knew where it was so after some digging was able to come up with some leg bones to use as a handle.
DCP_0986.JPG

After returning home I grabbed a cow leg bone I already had and cut a slab from it. This in itself turning into quite a task and a couple saw blades. Leg bone from cow is hard stuff!
DCP_0987.JPG

Now I figured it would be a short, filing and sanding job and the blade would be done. Wrong! I was trying everything in my arsonal of implements of destruction and this bone refused to give up. It was time to regroup.................

To be continued................................................

Re: The Bone Knife Saga!

I've got a bunch of rib bones and just don't think they would work very well. They are hollow and too thin if using just one side.
Keep laughing bud /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif ...............and to think I was going to give it to you. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shovelbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep laughing bud /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif ...............and to think I was going to give it to you. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

SSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO………….now I am going to have to pay through the nose for it huh, me and my big mouth! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

pawlinebrown.gif

feathers3.jpg

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
rwyllie@iowawhitetail.com

Here's the blade and handle roughed to shape. I need to notch the handle to accept the blade then put the two together and final polish.
I can't imagine doing all this work by hand, grinding to shape on a flat rock as Native Americans did centuries ago.
I like the old ways but I now own a small angle grinder. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

DCP_0990.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shovelbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't imagine doing all this work by hand, grinding to shape on a flat rock as Native Americans did centuries ago.</div></div>

I wonder how long it must have taken them to make something like this. Do you suppose it was more of a fighting/stabbing knife or a cutting meat type of knife?

Can't wait to see the finished product! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

pawlinebrown.gif

feathers3.jpg

PM
Ron Wyllie

Re: The Bone Knife Saga! Knife is done!

Well, here's the completed knife. I couldn't see wrapping good looking bone with leather so I just left it off. I haven't quite decided on a style for the sheath yet.
I have found out that sharp bone leaves a cut similar to a paper cut only deeper and a lot more ragged. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

bone_1.JPG

As a side note, I felt it fitting to have a primitive knife sitting on a piece of Mammoth tusk for the photo.

gun&bag.gif

The knife turned out really well Jay, you do excellent work. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I hope you didn’t cut yourself too badly? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

pawlinebrown.gif

feathers3.jpg

PM
Ron Wyllie

The knife and sheath is beautiful Jay, truely a work of the mountain man. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

pawlinebrown.gif

feathers3.jpg

PM
Ron Wyllie

Turned out great Jay! Looks awesome. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Wow. When you put your mind to something it just flat out happens. Great looking knife and sheath. What did you use to lash the two together? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What did you use to lash the two together? </div></div>

Artificial sinew.

Next picture better have some blood on the blade, and not your own.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Next picture better have some blood on the blade, and not your own.

The 'Bonker </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom