Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Widow-Maker Strikes Again (PIC HEAVY)

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
So, for once, there isn't much to this story. :grin:

I had an opportunity to hunt for only two mornings in extreme northern Missouri this past weekend and wasn't expecting much due to lack of time and the fact that you can only hunt until 1pm in MO. It was just another inexpensive way to get out with a couple of buddies and hopefully get lucky. :grin:

picture.php

Saturday morning was difficult, we didn't see a bird while hunting. Got to sit in the blind with an old friend Saturday night trying to film him kill an Iowa bird with his bow. Got close, but didn't seal the deal--but that didn't matter.

Sunday morning there was a HEAVY dew and I knew the birds would have to be out somewhere. It was an amazing morning for sure!

Lucky for us, we spotted a bird in a hay field that was "sneakable" with the fan.

Before today I had yet to actually give this tactic a try. So this was my maiden voyage. This is much harder than it seems. Your pace is important, not being fat is important... which I am.. but having a bit more stamina and not requiring my wrists to hold up so much weight would have been nice... And, this trick is a RUSH!

This bird initially acted like he was going to charge me, but actually went submissive--yet strutted the whole time. But, in closing the final 50 yards, he began to move off. I moved fast and closed as much ground as possible when he strutted facing away.

Being drenched in sweat and dew (my glasses were nearly completely fogged over) and feeling like I was at 35 yards, I pulled the shotgun from my back, popped up and his eyes got big and I think I heard him say "Oh Sh#*!" and I dumped my first Widow-Maker bird and LOVED IT!

I highly suggest giving this tactic a try, it'll challenge you and make your heart pound in your throat!

Here's a good view of the sneak in.
picture.php

My final view from the WM
picture.php

Dead Bird!
picture.php

His final view
picture.php

The whole scene.
picture.php

In this picture you can see my trail in through the dew.
picture.php

24-10 lbs., 1-1/16-inch spurs, 9.75-inch beard.
picture.php

Curt got his later that morning. Sunday was a great day!
picture.php

This all couldn't have happened without Ty. Thanks brother!
picture.php

Glad to see a fellow Bedford guy get some credit! Congrats on the bird, I am going to try this tactic come forth season. I think the best way to do this would be a mid-morning tactic/evening tactic. Try to get one in the morning the "traditional" way, then if it doesn't work you back out and then go around glassing and try to find a gobbler out in a field. I definitely think a property that has a long line of sight is important where you can see the gobbler in the distance and they can see you. I think if you went out int he morning just hoping to do this you would run into birds coming from different directions and getting busted.

Anyone willing to get their boys soaked by freezing morning dew is a real die-hard! :D Congrats on the sneaky assault! :way:

:way: Congrats, you sure earned that one, I did a cold, wet crawl like that myself one time back in the day. :grin:

I can see a whole new line of new products for the turkey hunter now though... :grin:

1. A head to toe rubber "crawl suit" called "The Creeper".
2. Scentless lube spray to apply to your belly to make the crawl less noisy and easier.
3. A plastic "fan holder" to carry the fan in your truck safely.

Give me a minute, I can get come up with a few more I am sure.

I agree with muddy...this one would've been worth the price of admission to watch :D

Congrats Thomas...looks like a great time :way:

NWBuck

Top Bottom