Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Things Learned / Mistakes Made

MO-APE

What are some mistakes you made early in your habitat management journeys and what are some things you've learned that could help others. I'll start.

Mistake - Not prepping or planning ahead for tree plantings. I lost gallons of sweat, hundreds of dollars and loss of pride by planting trees by the "place and pray" method. I didn't kill fescue/competing weeds or protect saplings before pushing them in the ground. Literally 500+ trees didn't make it over the early years. It is better to plant 3 trees the right way than 3,000 the wrong way.

Lessons Learned - Use and take advantage of the free/low cost expert technical assistance out there. This sounds ultra obvious but I'm still shocked on how many deer stewards I meet that don't do this. If you bought a new farm, one of the first things I would do is schedule a visit with your local State private lands conservationist. I've been able to get the following done at a minimum of 50% cost share on a few farms, not to mention their expert coaching:
-prescribed fires
-forest stewardship plans
-TSI execution
-permanent timber clearings for food plots
-food plot development including seed & fertilizer
-NWSG reintroduction Including seed & fertilizer

This doesn't include other services like CRP, etc. Also, don't forget other available technical resources/biologists from the NWTF, Quail & Pheasant Forever, etc.

Oh man, I could go on and on about this. :eek: Great topic!

I'd say the #1 thing we've learned is preparation is KEY in all habitat projects. Especially tree plantings like you mentioned. Killing the cool season grasses (brome, fescue, etc) is a must IMO. When tree planting we've also made the mistake of killing all the cool season grasses in the entire area and that just released a mess of weeds, so now we focus on killing strips or spots for each tree/row of trees.

We've fought tree plantings, NWSG plantings and trying to establish food plots without properly killing the cool seasons grasses and all have been a battle and nearly complete failures. We also have planted 100s... probably more like a couple thousand trees in the early years and not a single one lives today.

One thing we're also discovering this year that's made establishing NWSGs and switch easier is that we can get a big sprayer out there from the local Farmer Co-op or Ag Supply store to spray whatever chemical we'd like for a couple hundred bucks vs us trying to fight spraying 5 acres of grass with a 4-wheeler and getting spotty applications. For the ease of making a phone call and having it done right, it's a simple decision for us to have this type of stuff sprayed professionally now versus us spending hours upon hours doing it and not getting near the results they can achieve.

One last thing... I'd take great habitat over great food plots any day! Of course having both is ideal but if I had to do start over with a new farm I'd focus on improving the habitat by doing chainsaw work (hinging, TSI, edge feathering, etc) first and then food plots second. And focus on getting NWSGs established since those produce excellent cover fairly quickly compared to tree plantings (2-3yrs for NWSGs vs muuuuuuch longer for tree plantings)

Last edited:
The biggest thing I've learned is to pay attention trying to think like a deer. By that I mean taking placement into consideration and thinking through why something makes sense or why it doesn't.

Lot's of potential with this thread...good idea! There are already some valuable ideas shared. Here are just a couple of my thoughts right now...

I believe it was Paul's son Jesse Knox that said, "If you don't have rabbits, then you don't have deer...". The message behind this saying was that you need to create "low" brush and cover much like a rabbit would need/prefer and voila...the deer will be there. When all of the terms like "TSI", "hinge cutting" were new to me, I was struggling to make sense of all of it...but when the concept was explained in simple terms, like a rabbit needing low brush, etc, then it started making sense fast.

Like already said...preparation and planning are vital. Get a good map of your place and create a design on paper of where the bedding areas are, where the food is(or can/should be), etc. Sketch that out and then review it with someone knowledgeable and revise and review again as necessary BEFORE tearing into things.

Be very careful before going into your timber with a chainsaw, you could be making some big mistakes that will take YEARS to correct. That being said...there is no more powerful tool to the land manager than the chain saw IMO.

Learn how to burn. While it can be a destructive force if control is lost, etc. It is also a natural thing and an awesome land management tool.

I would really like to see a PMA membership farm tours type program where we could visit farms or have others come and view our farms and provide tips, etc. Would be a great way to meet members and share ideas. Almost like some of the REALLY expensive courses that QDMA offers.

Be very careful before going into your timber with a chainsaw, you could be making some big mistakes that will take YEARS to correct.
GREAT advice - this goes along with MO-APE's orginal post about getting free advice from private lands biologist and foresters. Definitely a great idea before heading to the woods with chainsaws! :)

I would really like to see a PMA membership farm tours type program where we could visit farms or have others come and view our farms and provide tips, etc. Would be a great way to meet members and share ideas. Almost like some of the REALLY expensive courses that QDMA offers.
Another great idea! It's always enjoyable seeing other people habitat projects/ideas. Seeing others pictures on the internet is great but a real walk through could be even more valuable.

Dont go crazy with the hinging. My last farm became to thick to even walk through, even for deer to some extent. I have a fresh slate now, I will be doing more pockets rather than a 40 acre chunk. Diversity is key, deer are lazy and need open timber to travel in, it cant all be bedding area. Same thing with crp, wont be doing all switchgrass, will do different mixes of natives. Food plots need to be in spots that allow undetected access and I will be planting some I will never have any intention to hunt but are just there to carry the deer through the winter. I was just thinking today of all the things i wont be doing to the new farm based on past experiences.

I would be more then happy to show off the habitat work that I have done on my property (although I am by no means an expert) as well as see other members properties.

Get a state forester to evaluate your timber for a possible harvest before doing TSI. Better to make money improving your timber if you can.

Soil tests. For $10 you can save yourself hundreds in lime and fert. Find out exactly what your foodplots needs and nothing more.

Jim ward and grant woods both have field days on their own farms each year. I know grant woods gets a lot of attention because of his show...and I'm not saying it isn't warranted...but imo Jim ward is one of the smartest people I've ever met when it comes to thinking like a deer. His #1 tool is a chainsaw....not a tractor. His approach to creating better deer habitat is simple and no nonsense....Which I appreciate. Lots of people tend to overthink the process. Which is one of my biggest mistakes in the past. Fortunately I'm able to remember that now to help not only my properties but my clients as well.
I prefer the KISS method of habitat improvement

Daver said:
Like already said...preparation and planning are vital. Get a good map of your place and create a design on paper of where the bedding areas are, where the food is(or can/should be), etc. Sketch that out and then review it with someone knowledgeable and revise and review again as necessary BEFORE tearing into things

Old thread but a good one. Quoted above is my biggest problem...the part about reviewing with someone knowledgable. Suggestions? I've been with foresters and private lands biologists and mapped and remapped 100 times...just want expert opinion on how to make this place more huntable...making movement more predictable

Top Bottom