Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

This Ain't Good

The only thing I would be shoveling was pieces of pork loin into my mouth. That thing would be getting hunted. It's gonna be awfully hard for the farmer to get that thing back in anyways.

Damn sows are good at breaking out of places. Dont know how many times ive had to herd back in the pens talk to the farmer first. If it aint his kill her bacon

And we hunters wonder why it's hard to gain hunting permission from farmers.:confused: Well, I guess it's your lease.;)

Yep Ive heard it a few times.......Yeah we use to let guys hunt then one of our horses/pigs/cows got shot so we dont let anyone hunt our ground anymore. Some may use it as any easy way to say no but still.....

Cooter and Randy, good thing I wasn't asking for your opinions on how I should deal with this situation, eh?

Cheers
:drink2:

Depending on the location, kind of ground the pig is on doesnt take to long to do some damage to crop fields.. If the pig isnt on the farmers ground its free game. Usually farmers want them killed if they cant get them back because of the damage the cause. I can remember a few years back a group got out and people where having a hayday filling their freezers.

Cooter and Randy, good thing I wasn't asking for your opinions on how I should deal with this situation, eh?

That's the beauty of an open internet forum, you'll get it anyway! ;)

It used to be neighbors would help each other out. They'd go knock on the door and say, "Hey, there is some livestock loose, are you missing any?". If the answer was yes, it was followed by an offer to help round it up.

I guess now it's SSS and I need to get with the times. :rolleyes:

That's the beauty of an open internet forum, you'll get it anyway! ;)

It used to be neighbors would help each other out. They'd go knock on the door and say, "Hey, there is some livestock loose, are you missing any?". If the answer was yes, it was followed by an offer to help round it up.

I guess now it's SSS and I need to get with the times. :rolleyes:

Seriously?

Does every thread on this site have to turn into a pissing match? What happened to this place.

If that hog got on the road and someone swerved to miss it and landed in the ditch and died, or hit the hog and died for whatever reason the farmer would be liable and would be out a lot more coin than the price of one hog. My guess is that nobody claims it for that very reason.

Kill the bastard and save me a coule packs of bacon Thomas.

Would the farmer be responsible for damage caused on the property the hog is on? Damage to crops and such?

If you do decide to try and round that thing up please let me know because I want to watch the hyjinks!

I used to work at a hog confinement, rounding up a 300 lbs. + sow is virtually impossible.... its especially not worth it now with the low values per hundy weight.

Would the farmer be responsible for damage caused on the property the hog is on? Damage to crops and such?

Im sure Bronc has the answer, just like always.

(in a whisper voice)
pssssst, yes they are liable..... however, a loose hog is considered feral.... but what do I know.....
:grin:

I used to work at a hog confinement, rounding up a 300 lbs. + sow is virtually impossible.... its especially not worth it now with the low values per hundy weight.

Im sure Bronc has the answer, just like always.

(in a whisper voice)
pssssst, yes they are liable..... however, a loose hog is considered feral.... but what do I know.....
:grin:

I would love to see you wrestling a 300 lb hog. :D Muddy and I can sit on the tailgate with a 6'er watching you run all over the field.

:D

Does every thread on this site have to turn into a pissing match?

I'm not trying to turn this into a pissing match. There are laws and practices in place for dealing with such situations. SSS is not one of them.

Legally: Try to contact the owner and call the Sheriff for assistance. Anything else opens yourself to liability/restitution. Yes, the owner is liable for damages caused by loose livestock, that's why you need the sheriff out to document damage. I don't think it is considered feral until the owner gives up on trying to recover it or it has been roaming for a certain period of time, but I'm not familiar with that part of the law.

No, it will not be easy to round up such a critter, but sometimes doing the right thing is not the easiest thing. Also, the sheriff might be the one who organizes the round up, so then you can really sit back and enjoy.:grin:

legally, he can kill it on site, its a Ferrel hog as soon as it leaves its confinement. he can kill it, and report it to DNR so they can have a tooth sample and life goes on. Yes, maybe give a farmer a call, but like he said, sows are NOT easy to round up, nor are they nice about it...if she drops a litter, one pig will turn into a hundred in 3 years or less. In missouri, they kill them ALL. Mom and little ones, no matter how big they are....they just don't want them around, and either does the DNR.

Coming soon to The Bowhunting Road.... "The Saga of Ol Porky"

I reiterate, I would pay good money to watch you wrangle this porker, even more if you do it from horseback!

:)

somewhere I saw on TV or in a magazine about a football player who has his dogs corner wild hogs and he jumps on them and dispatches them with a knife... let's try it!! ;)

I used to chase hogs when I was younger when we raised hogs, but I was 13 years old and running wasn't a problem back then. I do remember though when we sold out that a few young ones got out and they lived all summer in the draws next to the farm....when we tried to chase them on foot in the fall it didn't work too well.....we finally chased them into the cut alfalfa field and my dad ran them with the 3 wheeler until they were almost dead....they finally cooperated.....I thought we were gonna have to shoot'em they were so frickin wild.

Moral of the story.....I don't like chasing Hogs!!! Bullets catch them so much quicker. ;)

Top Bottom