Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

This Ain't Good

looks like a feral hog to me.Got this off dnr site.
Feral Hogs​
Feral hogs are trying to gain a foothold in
certain parts of Iowa. They use heavy cover, are
difficult to find and even more difficult to hunt.
Hunters are encouraged to watch for feral hogs
while out hunting other species and to kill them
on sight. It is legal to kill feral hogs on your own
property and on public lands where hunting is
allowed. Trespassing on private land to shoot a
feral hog is not allowed.
Feral hogs are not native to Iowa and no
permit is needed to take a feral hog.
Feral hogs are aggressive and prone to attack.
They spread diseases to humans, pets and
domestic animals. These animals damage crops
and forest lands which contributes to soil erosion
and siltation. They also compete with native
wildlife for food. They eat anything they can
catch including reptiles, amphibians, deer fawns,
bird eggs and newly born livestock.
If you should happen to kill a feral hog,
contact the local wildlife biologist (see p. 45).​
The DNR would like to collect a blood sample

its a Ferrel hog as soon as it leaves its confinement
DANG, missed my chance at some feral beef T-bones and steaks last fall.
doh2.gif

Feral Hogs​

Feral hogs are not native to Iowa

So how does an escaped Iowa hog automatically become feral?

doh2.gif

Rounding up a loose heifer, steer, bull, or cow is completely different from rounding up a loose 300 pound sow. Not saying it isn't doable, but have attempted at both. Always gotten the cows, but the hog ended up in the freezer. The farmer said "time is money, and I'm done wasting my time." He left and the hog took a bullet. I'm not saying in this case the hog couldn't be caught, but it isn't on his property and I honestly doubt that he is gonna waste his time and effort on trying to catch it.

doh2.gif

Actually i dont think in iowa you can legally shoot feral beef.But you can shoot feral hogs.

These animals damage crops
and forest lands which contributes to soil erosion
and siltation. They also compete with native
wildlife for food. They eat anything they can
catch including reptiles, amphibians, deer fawns,
bird eggs and newly born livestock.
If you should happen to kill a feral hog,

What do you think this pig is eating?

Also how do you think feral hogs got to the us?

Im pretty sure they started as someones livestock that got out.Now look at how many states have them.I would just nip it in the bud right now,and i would have fun doing it.

THA4 said:
Cooter and Randy, good thing I wasn't asking for your opinions on how I should deal with this situation, eh?

Cheers
:drink2:

Really????? Just not the ones you didn't want to hear. Evidently you liked the ones that say shoot it.

Go shoot that "wild" thing get it mounted tag and all.

I've chased a few pigs in my day.......

But you can shoot feral hogs.
The issue is what is the exact definition of feral and who gets to define it?

If you are so sure shooting this hog is legal, do this:
Go shoot it on film, burn 6 DVD's, deliver one to the County Attorney, one to the Local Conservation officer, one to the Sheriff, one to who you think is the farmer is that it escaped from, one to the local paper/media outlet and keep one for yourself (after you post to youtube). Are you willing to have that type of exposure to the event?

If he won't shoot it I will come down to Iowa and take care of it......it will save me a boat load when it comes time to make deer sausage this fall. ;)

Sounds to me like JNRBRONC is offering to catch the hog for you...go let the confinement know that his sow will be back. I'll supply the ropes, truck and the camera, and we will see how you fair on the sow...i'll also have a slug there when you decide to give up and the hog is easier dead. I'll be even more fun if she drops a litter and you get to chase all of those pip squeeks. If it was a bull, cow, or calf, my money would be on you...but hog....have fun. Like others have said, Hogs are not easy to round up.

and FYI, Pigs are NOT native to Iowa, but have been contained as captive live stock. This is brought to you directly from the Pork Producers website....

"The pig dates back 40 million years to fossils which indicate that wild pig-like animals roamed forests and swamps in Europe and Asia. By 4900 B.C. pigs were domesticated in China, and were being raised in Europe by 1500 B.C. On the insistence of Queen Isabella, Christopher Columbus took eight pigs on his voyage to Cuba in 1493. But it is Hernando de Soto who could be dubbed "the father of the American pork industry." He landed with America's first 13 pigs at Tampa Bay, Florida in 1539. Native Americans reportedly became very fond of the taste of pork, resulting in some of the worst attacks on the de Soto expedition. By the time of de Soto's death three years later, his pig herd had grown to 700 head, not including the ones his troops had consumed, those that ran away and became wild pigs (and the ancestors of today’s feral pigs or razorbacks), and those given to the Native Americans to keep the peace. "

http://www.porkbeinspired.com/About_TheHistoryOfPork.aspx

Therefore, ALL feral pigs were ONCE captive or are blood of a captive hog at some point in time...

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
The issue is what is the exact definition of feral and who gets to define it?

If you are so sure shooting this hog is legal, do this:
Go shoot it on film, burn 6 DVD's, deliver one to the County Attorney, one to the Local Conservation officer, one to the Sheriff, one to who you think is the farmer is that it escaped from, one to the local paper/media outlet and keep one for yourself (after you post to youtube). Are you willing to have that type of exposure to the event?
Didnt your first reply on this post say BACON!HMMMMM

Oh good grief... can't wait for these last 66 days to tick off and season to start.

If everyone is in agreement then what will JRBRONC have to prove anyone wrong about?

:moon:

:D

I am shocked that this went to page 6.

You know what's funny? The chances of Thomas actually going out and acting on the 3 S's are very slim...they would be for anyone on here. It's just people BS'ing in the off season during the doldrums of summer and a guy venting causing his cam pull sucked. It's shocking how people get so worked up over nothing.

Didn't your first reply on this post say BACON! HMMMMM

Yes, because I know THA$'s weakness for it.:D

Sounds to me like JNRBRONC is offering to catch the hog for you...

See, that's where everyone is getting stuck. It is not Thomas's, mine or anybody else's here call on what to do or how to catch the ESCAPED pig (it is NOT feral!). That pig is someone's property and nobody but the owner has a right to it. It is for the proper authorities. Call the Sheriff and Conservation officer, it isn't that hard, end of saga.

Coming soon to The Bowhunting Road.... "The Saga of Ol Porky"

I reiterate, I would pay good money to watch you wrangle this porker, even more if you do it from horseback!

:)

x2! I'll bring the beer and whiskey to watch that!

Lets oil that sucker up, blast some "Yakety Sax" on the truck radio and have our own Iowa Whitetail greased pig contest! Followed by hog roast of course! :D

Thomas, why are you posting pictures of yourself that your trail cam took ;)

Lol, man, I'm HUNGRY!

Top Bottom