Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thompson Center ProHunter Muzzleloader ?

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
Anyone have one of the newer ProHunter stainless muzzleloaders? .... I used to hunt a few years back with an old style percussion cap hawken style muzzleloader.... put the gun down for several years and have bowhunted only.... thinking pretty serious about getting back into muzzleloading for late season. Would like to purchase it this summer to get used to shooting it.... Tired of sitting the sidelines after bowseason....

Anyone have any experience with this gun?

Gun is SWEET! Both my bros have them, love em! Not saying there ain't some other great models/manufacturers out there BUT my bros are happy with theirs. Downside is EXPENSIVE! I have the TRIUMPH and really like that. I was a cheap-skate though & didn't want to fork out the big bucks. You will not go wrong with Pro-hunter! *I think all they offer is the speed breech- just in case they have the old kind- make sure you get the speed breech!!!

*Yeah, both the bros have the more expensive one, maybe the Encore Endevor Pro hunter or whatever? The one with camo, thumbhole stock and stainless/weather shield. They are sweet!

Last edited:
I have an endeavor which is a step up from the older pro hunter and have just the plain encore...both in stainless and like them a lot.

My dad and I both have the TC pro hunter .50cals. They are both black synthetic and stainless, and I chose the thumbhole stock. I love the gun and am very pleased with everything about it. They are finicky on load selection ( as are most muzzleloaders) so play around until you find the load that you like the best. I have mine topped with a 3 1/2 - 10 Vx3 Leupold stainless and I am happy with the combo. I know quite a few guys that have them and I haven't heard any complaints from any of them. I don't think you will be disappointed with your decision :way:

CVA makes a quality muzzleloader as well if you want to save a little money and still get a good shooter. My dad has an optima elite .45 cal and likes that as well, it's a solid gun and a good shooter. Shop around a bit and you will find what you want. Personally I'm a TC guy for overall quality and durability, but to each their own.

Mine works great when its working, shoots 5" groups at 300yds. However it cost me a giant buck this fall also. Theres two spring activated plungers that kick the gun open when you pull the break lever. Well the two plungers also let the hammer caulk back and when the two plungers got stuck in the engaged position I couldnt caulk the hammer back. There I was 150yds from a booner and I couldnt get the fricken hammer to caulk back.
I tore it completly apart that night and found some corrosion in the very back of it that jammed it up. A very costly mistake in learning to clean it, I would guess 90& of the people that own them dont take that step when cleaning them either. Its not a simple job, and I over looked it for two years before it cost me.
Mine has a laminated thumb hole stalk and it split this year as well, so lets just say I havnt had the best of luck with it. But like I said, when its working it shoots great.
I shoot 150 grains pyrodex and a 350 grain Barnes expander. And use a leoupold tactical scope for easy adjustment from 100-300 yds.

Antlerfreak, Mine will do the same if it is not closed completely, meaning if you put the primer in for the first time you have to slame it shut. I took a small drill bit the size of the hole and made it just slightly deeper and fixed the problem.

I just bought a CVA Accura V2. The only thing I think the pro hunter has on it that is better are the stainless steel ram rod holders.

I just bought a CVA Accura V2. The only thing I think the pro hunter has on it that is better are the stainless steel ram rod holders.

Thanks Liv for pointing out the CVA guns..... I am really liking the looks of the CVA Apex.... that looks like a sweet gun in the black and stainless... will definately be taking a much closer look at these guns.... :way:

The Apex is a sweet gun as well. The accura v2 shouldered better for me with my glasses. The Apex seemed like I really had to get down on it more like a rifle. Both guns have a fully adjustable triggers as well.

The Apex is a sweet gun as well. The accura v2 shouldered better for me with my glasses. The Apex seemed like I really had to get down on it more like a rifle. Both guns have a fully adjustable triggers as well.

An adjustable trigger is a HUGE selling point for me.... I like a light trigger... have a tendancy to jerk the trigger if there is much pull involved... can't wait to check out these in person.... :way:

Top Bottom