Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thoughts from the stand

chipterp

PMA Member
Looking forward to another year of hanging out in the tree. Tonight after trimming shooting lanes and sweating through everything I caught myself saying make it rain, make it rain, while I doused myself in scent away. What are some of the weird and funny thoughts that go through your head while out there? a few more that come to mind are: man if all those cottonwood trees were walnuts we'd be rich, I shot a doe tonight and immediatey thought well that fawn just got weened.
And a not so good one the other day when I was hanging a stand and happened to forget my backpack with my rope that I attach to the tree was man I'm glad my phones in my pocket for when I hit the ground.

Unfortunately I think about work a lot. Then I think about why do I have to think about work. I also tend to think of old friends that I havent seen or heard from in a long time. Sort of depressing lol.

All day sits have had my mind thinking some crazy things. Like, what super power would make killing a mature buck the easiest, being invisible, flying, or being able to snap my fingers and be in a different spot. Or wishing that the biggest buck that has ever walked within 20 yards of this tree would walk by today. Too often though, I'm thinking about all that I need to do and what I should be doing instead of sitting in a tree.

I imagine great stories that I'll never write, I compose beautiful music that will never be performed, I think of fantastic machines that I'll never build. You know, the ordinary every day tree stand stuff. But mostly I wonder if TR is going to try and sneak tapifreakinoka in his stew again.

Like bowman, I have also given super powers for deer hunting some thought. I've decided invisibility would be the way to go.

For some dumb reason, I often think of whether or not I could jump from my stand to a nearby tree should the tree I'm in happen to fall!

Like bowman, I have also given super powers for deer hunting some thought. I've decided invisibility would be the way to go.

For some dumb reason, I often think of whether or not I could jump from my stand to a nearby tree should the tree I'm in happen to fall!
I have also had the "where could I jump to" in the event of my tree going over. Some I had other trees as options and others require me to hold on as long as possible and then trying to jump, tuck, and roll after severing the safety strap with my knife

Some thoughts I've had..
"Should have sat the other stand.."
"I'd like to be almost invisible like that Alien on the movie Predator..."
"Crap! That raccoon is coming up my ladder!"(actually happened this morning)

The other day I was sitting there and all I could sing in my head was "rain drops keep falling on my head" unfortunately the acorns were hurting a little more than raindrops

I've thought about having a pet doe I can bring hunting and send her out to round up bucks to parade by my stand. I also spend a lot of time trying to invent something to make me rich.

I'm with MN Slick in that I spend a ton of time both in the stand and out thinking about what I can invent.
A common thought I have is how much my mom would enjoy being in the stand at times. She loves photography and would really enjoy the pics she could get from a stand. Both of landscape and close up animals.
Off the top of my head I can't really think of many common thoughts I know I have. I know there are more, I'll just have to start remembering them from now on.

Besides thinking about my family, friends, and other things going on in life, I usually think "a big one could come at any moment, right?", or "should have went to xyz stand", or "is that squirrel laughing at me?", or "how far is that bush I just ranged 5 mins ago?", or "what is that doe that I can't see snorting at?", or "that squirrel is laughing at me", or "how can I make xyz myself", or "man I gotta pee, hope this doesn't ruin the hunt", or "man, I need xyz", or "should I switch stands?", or "man it would suck if my stand fell right now", or "why is that squirrel laughing at me?", or "wonder how many deer I'm missing just over that hump or behind that thick brush", or "if a coyote walked by the stand right now, I'd try to shoot it", or "was that a deer or that squirrel rustling those leaves?", or "man, I forgot xyz in the truck", or "man, I have to pee again?", or "can I make xyz and sell it?", or "if that squirrel would come right across from me on this other tree, I could let an arrow fly, but how would I get the arrow back?"

I've thought about having a pet doe I can bring hunting and send her out to round up bucks to parade by my stand. I also spend a lot of time trying to invent something to make me rich.

I've thought about the pet doe in heat too. When she is ready take her out let her run round a little and then bam.

I too think about work, and how the stand is so quiet compared to being home with my 22 mo old. But what really gets me are those squirrels. By god, I swear I have albia buck times twelve running at me, heart starts to race, stomach queasy, *thump* squirrel down.. then this happens 3 more times... and I'm left with one arrow remaining. Then my thoughts are.. albia buck times twelve will come by my stand, I killed 4 squirrels at 20-30 yds, and I'm gunna miss him at 15...

Wayne, you summed it up my friend. The evolution of a bowhunter is something.. as each fall passes, the more I'm just grateful to have a chance. In the old days I did anything and everything to arrow a big one. In those days I had nothing better to do, life catches up and we realize what is actually important. Deer hunting is fun again for me.

The mind games definitely start up during those long all day sits. I always wonder how much of a factor thermals/swirling winds are in the hill country hardwoods I hunt and if I'm not seeing deer because of that. I gathered a bunch of dried up milk weed pods so I can check this out from the stand this year. I also end up going through almost every scenario I can think of in my head and try to make sure I can get a shot depending on what trail they come down.

meyeri said:
The mind games definitely start up during those long all day sits. I always wonder how much of a factor thermals/swirling winds are in the hill country hardwoods I hunt and if I'm not seeing deer because of that. I gathered a bunch of dried up milk weed pods so I can check this out from the stand this year. I also end up going through almost every scenario I can think of in my head and try to make sure I can get a shot depending on what trail they come down.

Uh oh, now you're gonna have a problem. Since I started using milkweed fluff I find myself tossing it out there every 15 seconds. Lol

This year it has been a lot about work- which has NEVER been the case in the past. but a common thought I always seem to have in the stand- is "what is the biggest buck within a few miles"- or when im fishing- what is the biggest fish in this lake-Its not that I even want to harvest it (which of course I would) but at the moment- i just want to see it

another thought I have a lot is when I see 3.5 year old bucks or older that arent on my hit list- i always think about which person I could get out to this area and help kill their first buck and how this would be a perfect buck for so and so......

I have also had the "where could I jump to" in the event of my tree going over. Some I had other trees as options and others require me to hold on as long as possible and then trying to jump, tuck, and roll after severing the safety strap with my knife

This is me too - "if this tree falls over, how would I jump so my harness doesn't pin me under the tree?" haha
or
"I want to just jump out of the tree and spin around it on my harness."
or
If I was that bald eagle, I could see where they are bedding or running....
or
I wonder if there is even a shooter within a mile or two of me...
or
God - when am I ever going to see a deer?
or
Man, I'm so glad I have this handlebar mustache, I wish my wife had the same appreciation of a well-scaped stache. :)

Top Bottom