Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thunderridge QDM Harvest #'s

All, We started managing our deer herd about 7 years ago and have seen awesome results but still felt like we needed to do more. So to reach our potential we decided letting the young bucks mature wasn't enough. So this year was year one of bringing the buck to doe ratio closer to 3 to 1. We harvested 62 antlerless deer of which only 5 were button bucks. I am very pleased that our group was able to keep the number of button bucks to such a small amount. We did harvest 7 bucks this year off our property and 5 of those were 140" to 180". The other 2 were busted up a bit and scored in the 130"s. So I feel we had a good start in our journey to 1 to 3 ratio. I feel the social stress in the herd may be holding the bucks on our farms from reaching their potential. So anyone else out there already past this stage of management that has any advise or success stories??
Later T$

social stress is a BIG part of QDM. taking does will really help.

You are right on track. I've been studying these issues at length relative to a property I'm currently involved in. Check the thread on the book, Deer Management 101. It deals with just the things you are talking about and is an invaluable resource. It is also great if you have members or neighbors who need an education in qdm. You can get it through Grant or pick up a copy at our gallery in Ankeny. We just got another box of books in a few minutes ago.

Old Buck

Old Buck,
Did you see the post about David Yepsen?
I've been in a battle of emails with him this afternoon and I 'm not that good at this QDM stuff yet.Might not hurt to send the calvary in (you or Chris)
OA
Gary

Congratulations on the aggresive doe harvest. It will pay huge dividends in the future. Keep up the good work!!
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom