Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tick Alert!

Had a tiny one attached a couple weeks ago. Thought it was a little early, but guess not. Need to try some of the Permethrin or something. A few years ago I was out shedding and came in with 30 or so crawling on me!!!!!! Blahh!!!! Nice surprise when I took my hoodie off and most were crawling around in the hood.

If you cannot find the permethrin, or forget to get it before heading out into the woods I recommend buying some dog tick/flea collars and putting them around your legs just below your knees. When we would go train up at McCoy I would do this, while guys were picking off 50+ ticks, I would be picking off 1 or 2 max!

Permethrin is fine as long as it is dry. It is VERY easy to use.

As stated by others, 0.5% final concentration is standard. Now as indicated earlier, 1.8 ounces per gallon; this is about 11 teaspoons. If you have a syringe with cc rather than ounces, that is about 53 cc per gallon.

Spray your clothing (wet things down really well). Allow them to dry completely. After dry, completely safe (according to manufacturers).

Something that hasn't been said...it stays in your clothes through several washings. I thought that was too good to be true, but we only sprayed our work clothes twice last year and it continued to work through at least 8 washings.

Note that this chemical is used to treat scabies (5% cream) and lice (1% solution), so 0.5% should be no issue.

Permethrin is a man-made compound that was based on the natural insecticide pyrethrum, which comes from chrysanthemum flowers.

There is some indication that it can be toxic if you breath the mist, so be careful when spraying. Just like for other things, so go into the wind.

You can get at your co-op locally. I've seen guys use it on their alfalfa when bugs were bad.
I am not a doctor or scientist so I don't want to give health advice. My own personal feelings are.... I like having a chemical on my clothes vs a chemical on my skin - which is exactly what you're doing with bug spray (deet & a million other things) is putting a chemical directly on your skin. Like above said, Permithrin is approved and supposed to be safe when dried BUT, in any case - it's gonna be a whole lot safer in my thinking, for me, than me getting Lyme's disease. Which, for how often I'm in the woods, is pretty likely. Also helps to treat socks and stops Chiggers which is huge for me & it works for mosquitos, flies, etc.

What happens when your clothes get wet from sweat or rain and they lay against your skin. Is there any chance of the Permithrin leaching back out of the clothes and onto your skin?

Just wondering.

What happens when your clothes get wet from sweat or rain and they lay against your skin. Is there any chance of the Permithrin leaching back out of the clothes and onto your skin?

Just wondering.

If that were to pose any risk at all it would not be legal to sell it for use as a clothing spray! The reason that it is not recommended for application on the skin is because in order to recommend it for skin use would require about a billion dollars worth of FDA testing & approval. :rolleyes: It's just easier to just say "don't do it". It's a CYA/liability issue, not an imminent health threat. The stuff is already used as a medication for some conditions but you can bet that you won't buy those products for this price as they do have FDA clearence and that is NOT cheap.

BTW, there is a new disease spread by ticks (specifically the lone star tick). It is called Heartland virus and it causes low white blood cell count and low platelet count. Not in Iowa yet, but has been found in Missouri.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncezid/dvbd/heartland/

So, yes, I'm thinking putting permethrin on your clothes is by far the best protection from known diseases. Also, it will keep mosquitoes from biting through your t-shirt, so less West Nile.

Last edited:
When I venture out I put everything on. P-on clothes,Avon oil on skin, along with Absorbene Junior,top off with some regular bug spray with deet in it. I still manage to get a Chigger bite or two, but I hate,,,getting bit!

When I venture out I put everything on. P-on clothes,Avon oil on skin, along with Absorbene Junior,top off with some regular bug spray with deet in it. I still manage to get a Chigger bite or two, but I hate,,,getting bit!

Soak your socks big time when you spray them with the permithrin mix. U will not have chiggers. At least I don't.
I still can't manage to get rid of my head lice but that's a separate issue. :)

We do need to have a sticky about Lyme's disease, Permithrin clothes treatment (a lot of guys do not know about it or know where to get it or realize it's THE BOMB for stopping ticks), etc. Several guys on here I know have Lyme's disease and picked it up right here in iowa. It's serious stuff & a horrible disease. If you spend tons of time in the woods like I do - I'm dead serious - you are pretty likely to be infected with it eventually. I've probably met 30 people now with it over the last 10 years - most were hard core woodsmen. Lots of folks have it and go un-diagnosed for a long time. It's very serious and very real. If you put it in real terms - it's just as serious to keep ticks off you long term as it is to wear a safety harness when you're in your stand.

I STRONGLY agree with Sligh; this needs to be a sticky.

Just what we know from ticks:
Rocky Mountain spotted fever (yes, we are at high risk in Iowa)
Lyme disease
Heartland virus
Red meat allergy (another new one, carried by lone star ticks)
Tularemia (not much in Iowa but it can be bad)
Ehrlichiosis (not high in Iowa but surrounded by states with high incidence)
Several other diseases too...

Don't forget that permethrin protects from mosquitoes too:
West Nile
Other encephalitis diseases carried by mosquitoes

I STRONGLY agree with Sligh; this needs to be a sticky.

Lyme disease
Heartland virus

West Nile

I'll echo Sligh's request as well. In fact, it would be a good idea to make a short Youtube video to go along with the narrative. I agree, properly guarding yourself against particularly ticks, but also chiggers, is vital information.

Just an FYI for those in southern Iowa. Not sure where I Picked it up but last nov I tested positive for the red meat allergy from the lonestar tick. every year I peel quite a few of them. At the time my alergest said furthest north they had been found is northern Missouri. I was the second case in the state at the time. another one was in mount pleasant. This is a permetherin is a must for me. Thanks!

HEY LONERANGER, COULD YOU EDIT YOUR 1ST POST TO INCLUDE THIS, SO SINCE THIS IS A STICKY, SOMEONE OPENING IT LATER CAN SEE THIS IN THE 1ST POST....

MAKE YOUR OWN PERMETHRIN SPRAY FOR A TINY FRACTION OF THE PRICE & THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST TREATMENT - IT WORKS!!!! - all season's worth right here.....
http://www.amazon.com/Permethrin-SFR...rds=permethrin

DOCUMENTARY ON LYME'S DISEASE - IT'S VERY GOOD - http://www.underourskin.com/ Go to "WATCH" obviously.

Lyme disease
Heartland virus

West Nile

MAKE YOUR OWN PERMETHRIN SPRAY FOR A TINY FRACTION OF THE PRICE & THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST TREATMENT - IT WORKS!!!! - all season's worth right here.....

http://www.amazon.com/Permethrin-SFR...rds=permethrin

Lyme disease
Heartland virus

West Nile

Last edited:
Ordered some permithrin after learning about it on here. The last 2 weeks after using this product we have had 0 ticks on us. On average between late season shed hunting, turkey hunting, mushroom and habitat improvements we would pick off 5-10 per day. So far this product has been a life saver, thank you!

Top Bottom