Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Timber Cover Suggestions

boonerz

Hey Guys

I was curious if anyone had any suggestions or know of something that works for something I'm trying to do. No clue if its even possible or not. But I have some river bottom area, about 15 acres, and I know the deer love to bed in it. It has some hardwoods and some crap trees. Its got some decent undergrowth but not real thick. My question is, does anyone know of anything a person can just broadcast in this area to grow some good cover and provide even better bedding? I know it wouldn't get a ton of sunlight and being timber I won't be able to disc or anything so maybe its not possible. Just curious if there is anything a person can do to create bedding and cover grass in a somewhat open timber area.

Thanks!

I would really like to hear a response to this, Im kind of in the same boat as you. I would think some hinge Cuttin would work but if theres anything to plant i dont know.

It is doubtful you will be able to broadcast anything. Plants flush growth in the understory at different times of the year. Have you been in there in the spring/summer and looked to see what is growing? Best bet to increase understory cover is always opening up canopy to allow sunlight to the forest floor. Now, what you get in those gaps is going to be a result of what species are present. In order to predict that, someone would need to look at your site.

Top Bottom