Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Timber Stand Improvment

I would hit them with Tordon if you want to kill them ..

Be careful with Tordon, it will translocate through underground, cross connected roots and could kill adjacent, desirable trees while you are targeting undesirable species. Tordon will kill the fire out of whatever you apply it to, but just make sure your targeted tree is not too close to other, desirable trees.

I am not a big fan of Tordon. There are better options out there that I know of. Just wondering about the timing of the hack and squirt. I know we are past the best time. I didn't know if after hunting season was over if it would still be effective.

Tordon works anytime on a cut tree. Carefully spray into the cut.
To echo above..... if u are thinning, say, a crop tree white oak and killing 2 inferior deformed white oaks.... u cannot use tordon. Like above says- the root systems of like trees will connect and u can actually kill the crop tree. I don’t use much tordon. Only things I use on is invasives & occasionally some locusts, etc.
make it simple: don’t use tordon on good species like most the oaks, shagbark hickory, walnut, cherry, etc. Do carefully use it on invasive species: chinese elm, black locust, etc etc. it does have its place but double girdling correctly can take care of most trees. U can use it right now and really anytime. Works great. Just apply it carefully and u’ll Be in great shape. .

If you want to chemically kill a tree use Garlon 4 and bark oil. It does not translocate and is very potent to whatever you are trying to kill.
that is my plan with the garlon 4. I was just hoping it would still be effective in January. I'll have to look at the label.
Thanks for the responses

I’ve seen guys spray round up- pretty concentrated - In cuts too. Diesel. Lot of ways to do it. Cause I blaze over way too many acres- I find it easier to double girdle. Zero herbicides in many cases unless I have some nasty invasives.

Wife always calls or texts (out of concern)- “how’s tsi going” & i snap selfie to send to her. Kinda funny with paint, bruises, scratches - im doing a better job of stopping before I’m exhausted. Be careful guys. Stop before ur body is “telling u” to stop. I’ve been guilty of not getting that message.

1ec9f3620a1d7c18066dd80f09bf3bfd.jpg
daa3e418beebacf077910482ed11f3d3.jpg

c496ec0563c3d63726d82728edc9fe60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that is my plan with the garlon 4. I was just hoping it would still be effective in January. I'll have to look at the label.
Thanks for the responses
I've used garlon4 in Minnesota when the temperature has been below zero. It has worked although I haven't looked at the label to see if there is a recommended temperature.

Be careful with Tordon, it will translocate through underground, cross connected roots and could kill adjacent, desirable trees while you are targeting undesirable species. Tordon will kill the fire out of whatever you apply it to, but just make sure your targeted tree is not too close to other, desirable trees.

Thanks for the heads up Daver ...

Have used Tordon fairly successfully but considering risks, am thinking about switching to Garlon. Is there a preference for Garlon 3 or Garlon 4 for “hack & squirt” ? Dealing mostly with honeysuckle.

Garlon 4 is going to be more potent. Where foliar applications more common. Or harder to kill stuff like autumn or Russian olive, etc. if u r hacking and squirting- I highly doubt u notice a difference. 3 is weaker but also “safer” (say water run off). If it were ME & I was doing hack and squirt... I’d simply go with cheaper of 2 since I think both applied right will fry anything.
If I want to get u in the weeds based on my scattered memory.... kinda like 2,4-d, the formulations are somewhat similar..... where u have low volatility esters and u have amines. Ability to “spread or move around” in a sense. “Volatility” being the issue just like 2,4-d & the different formulations. Probably splitting hairs too. My memory makes me think it’s a related formula to 2,4-d with both formulations. Can research if u get bored or nerd like me. ;).

Merry Christmas to me!!! :). I do a LOT OF MARKING. Last year I got so far behind I had to enlist help. Well- getting to be a senior citizen (old man!!!! 39!!!)..... My hands actually are taking a nasty toll from gallons upon gallons run through my hand Gun. Saving my hands a little this year. Filling with compressor & pump if needed. My hands are thanking me already. ;)

bb370633cb287f67f839e8682168e387.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nerd alert. I use to have a restricted use license for ROW. Garlon 4 is a ester and can be mixed in water or with oil(like fuel oil). We used Garlon 4 in winter mixed in oil for a basal bark treatment. Less chance of the ester drifting. Garlon 3 is mixed with water and is a salt. Labeled for hack and squirt. Crossbow is a mix of 24D and garlon 4 in a weaker %. Both are esters.

Well done!!! U cannot argue with that footage. Frigin incredible cover. I have zero sycamore so i kinda wanna plant some for fun. But - good gosh- agree - looks amazing!! Yes guys- that’s what u want ur timber to look like!!! Cheapest habitat enhancement known to man and can be done on any size parcel of land. So nice!!!
Second one is great - those white oaks will start to flourish & reseed. Well done and second vid gonna be awesome cover after this summer. Well done!

Last edited:
Top Bottom