Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tipi with a wood burner is on it's way!!

Hardcorehunter

UL Shelter/Stove Geek
http://www.prolitegear.com/site/xdpy/ssg/Shelters/Tarps.html

I have been looking for a good deal and I placed my order on a Shangri-la 5 and a poncho/tarp. I placed my order at 7 am today and by 11:00 am I had a confirmation email showing the order was shipped and a tracking number. Shipping is free too. I now am ordering a Stove pipe jack for it from Titanium Goat, and titanium stove pipe through them also. I am in the process of building a take down box style Stainless steel stove for the SL-5. I am going to live like a king during out of state hunts, and am planning a local IOWA whitetail hunt with it too this fall. A woodburner, and shelter, all in the 5 lb weight range. Why anyone would want to sleep in a scrawny little tent when these palaces are available is beyond me. I have been wanting one of these tarp/poncho combos from go-lite too, so I ordered one of them too. Here is a SL-5. I will not use the mesh liner except during bug season when in Canada, MN, and the midwest. I prefer the open floor. The mesh liner(nest) has to be purchased separately Cheers!!!

From a Go-lite rep regarding making the sl-5 a tight pitch to the ground so as to keep warmth in:

It sounds like you have a sweet setup going. The close to the ground pitch is really easy to accomplish. pitch the 4 corners first. Then put up the pole. Then stake out the remaining points in the middle. That will ensure you have the tightest pitch possible. We are in the process of making a video on how pith the tarp tents as tight as possible. End of quote

25f0zv4.jpg

Guys have been using the SL-3 for years(it used to be called the Hex) with wood burners in them in sub zero weather and keep nice and warm. Of course the stove will need fed all night if you want to be super warm, otherwise climb into a nice down bag. Here are some videos that helped seal the deal with this lightweight tipi living and wood burners in them. These are Kifaru videos, and they are just extremely pricey, and no more then the couple of hunts I do a year that require camping, this SL-5 will perform quite nicely. I have had guys pm me that have owned/or used Kifaru's and Titanium goat tipis, and they have told me these Go-lite's are every bit as good as quality and are a 1/3 of the price as the above mentioned. They reportedly handle wind just as well too. I have been doing a lot of research. Made in China verse made in America is of course the price difference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY6IKp6OD-0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erRknTvDXrY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxKBA7zOGhI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaE7VzAz7qg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcWv7wSq4rw&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKs-rR1JzXI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7OgNhZ2RIg&feature=related

Here are the specs and description on a Go Lite Shangri-la 5
Shangri-La 5

2 lbs. 15 oz. | 1.33 kg
shelter specs

* type: 5 person
* height: 73 inches
* area: 90 sq. ft | 8.4 sq. m
* main body weight : 30 oz | 851 g
* pole weight: 13oz | 368g
* stake weight: 4oz | 113g

Ultra-light, expedition-ready, and simple to pitch, our improved Shangri-La 5 is a model of backcountry versatility and sheds wind and weather brilliantly. Nest and Floor sold seperately.

Materials:
15 Denier Ripstop Nylon; Silicone/PU 1200mm Waterproof Fire Retardant

# Two, larger peak vents optimize cross-ventilation
# External peak loop allows shelter to be suspended without pole
# Floorless shelter system works alone, with Nest, or Floor, depending on conditions
# Internal peak loop for attaching Nest, and perimeter clips for

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=370005110&mc=154&t=&lat=

I don't have a stove yet. Here are prices of the commercial ones.

https://www.kifaru.net/stoves2009.html

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/products.ht

Here is a pic of a fellow lightweight backpackable tipi owner and this is why I want one

xbgsqh.jpg

Last edited:
Total weight for this type of setup is less then what the total weight of what 2 hunters would normally carry in for shelter weight. This is why this is so appealing to me. Go-lite sells a Shangi-la 3 and it weighs only 7 oz less then the SL-5. For 7 oz, I figure I might as well have more room. 2-3 guys can easily hunt out of this setup. This would cost you approx $1300 if you went with kifaru or Titanium goat, and their stove/tipi combo. My setup will cost a 1/3 of this. Excellent, top notch quality, just made in China. Here is a Go-lite Hex 3, which is now called the Shangri-la 3. I have interviewed, researched, and pmed a lot of tipi gurus.

10nwd4y.jpg

The only advantage I can see with going with the sl-3 over the sl-5, is that it is smaller, so would be easier to heat, and you could use a smaller, lighter stove.

Here is a pic of titanium goats stove packed up and ready to transport, to give you an idea of what these look like, and how compact they go down to.

19a1de.jpg

My SL 5 came yesterday and it sets up very easily. Stake out the 4 corners, install the pole, and stake down the rest of it. It pitches right to the ground, and makes a nice seal. Very nice quality from what I can see. I got a confirmation email today that shows my ti goat stove jack is on it's way. I also ordered 12" X 100" of .004 ss shim stock and it arrived today, and now all I have to do is assemble my stove. I also got a confirmation that my 2 REI ti plates have shipped. Working on getting ti rods or ss to connect the 2 plates to the cylinder body. I am basically duplicating a pic of of Ti Goats cylinder stove. Basically in a nutshell, here are my costs to have an ultra lightweight shelter with a woodburner in it.

$280 for the Go Lite SL-5
$40 for ti goat jack
$48.00 for the SS shim
$30.00 for 2 Ti plates
$30 at the most for Connectors

$428 and total weight should be approx 5 lbs for entire setup.

I got my stove jack sewed in tonight and I also have my stove 3/4 way done. Both of these ventures were very easy. I really like this Titanium goat stove jack. It is a nice jack and well made. DJ gives you a silnylon pattern to trace for your tipi so you know what to cut out of your existing tipi, and he gives you a drawing to cut out for the stove jack too. These are both cut out AFTER you have sewed it in. It comes with a velcro rain cover even for when the jack is not used. The rainfly is gray and matches the golites gray color very well. Here are some pics of the installation. Stove pics will be coming when completed, as the setup burning wood in it will be too. It took me 45 minutes by hand to sew this in. I used 80 lb teflon treated spiderwire fishing line. It is green in color and fits in a standard needle eye and is tough excellent material.

2hcgsxw.jpg

wmbazq.jpg

3326iyt.jpg

Pinned in a few places to guide me.

10pod3c.jpg

Jack is sewed on, and This is the inside now and I am getting ready to cut out unwanted tipi material so that a hot pipe can come thru

209qdkk.jpg

28iyd5g.jpg

2rdhmpc.jpg

Jack is sewed on, this is the Outside of tipi with raincover in place
Now I have to treat the sewed on area with silicone to waterproof it.

Two weeks without a reply. lol... Get the picture? :confused: Helloooooo McFly, anybody home?????????:drink1:

Well, I got the stove all done, except for the legs. This was so simple, ONCE I brainstormed how I was going to complete it. I wanted it to meet 3 main requirements:
1.No parts that could be lost
2.Easy assembly
3.Ultra lightweight

This is so easy to assemble and only takes a few minutes. The stove drafts excellent and the pipe seals real well where it goes into the stove body. I'm quite happy. Here are some pics of tonights maiden burn. I used charcoal so I could get it hot. Wind was blowing hard.

1stburn11.jpg

1stburn10.jpg

1stburn8.jpg

1stburn7.jpg

1stburn6.jpg

1stburn5.jpg

1stburn4.jpg

1stburn3.jpg

1stburn2.jpg

1stburn1.jpg

You have a problem. An intervention to get you to admit that you're addicted to gear is in the future. ;)

:D:D

I used a heavy duty strainer that I bought at wally world for a spark arrestor for the time being. It was way too big and took some cutting and shaping to make it fit. I am going to use 2 of these in the stove pipe, but I am looking for some different material or product. Maybe just some mesh from lowes.

I decided to burn wood in it today, to get it really hot, as advised by Woods Walker from another forum. Woods Walker is a tipi survival ul stove expert and has forgotten more about this stuff then all of us will ever know. The pipe rolls up easily for packing and when unrolled it goes back to it's stove pipe form due to being heat treated.

Keys in this pic are for reference. Look how insanely tiny this set up goes down to.

1stburn12.jpg

I installed a 1/16" cable so I won't burn my fingers on the door anymore.

2ndburn1.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I got up early today and put another hour into finalizing improvements to the SL 5. I clipped all of the tie down buckles and straps off, except for the 2 on each side of the door, which I left for different door configuration options. The rest were useless for a hunting tipi. I then used the straps I cut off and added another staking loop in between each of the other tie downs. This created another 16 stake down loops for an extremely tight pitch now for wind, snakes, and spiders. I sandwiched the sil nyl between the webbing strap for a rock solid, tear proof point. I then sewed the over sized eight stake down loops, that have reflective material in them, in half so they make a very tight pitch and this also creates two stake locations at the same stake loop, in case two stakes would be needed in sandy soil. I then sewed the stove jack rain cover in place on the top, and sewed parachute cord above and under it, so that I can tie it up with several square knots, when a stove is used. I had debated on whether to just remove the rain cover each time, but I just saw this as a way to lose it. This is now the ultimate backwoods bow hunting palace. I used 80 lb spider wire to do all of the sewing. I love this stuff. It fits in a sewing needle eye, and is TOUGH.
1stburn13.jpg

1stburn14.jpg

1stburn15.jpg

1stburn16.jpg

1stburn17.jpg

1stburn18.jpg

1stburn19.jpg

1stburn20.jpg

24qv254.jpg

16c7tap.jpg

2uz8rap.jpg

xkx5lc.jpg

I had a stream with a little water fall by my camp

5l2oso.jpg

a3pfgx.jpg

rhsxf6.jpg

This is my stove and pipe taken in the dark to show how hot it gets

2v13dxi.jpg

Legs for my stove are done. I took 4, 12" long ,1/4" aluminum rods. I then took 4, 3/8" steel spacers, and drilled and threaded a hole in each. I then put an eye bolt in each threaded hole. This design is simple, lightweight, allows my stove to be placed at various heights, and allows each leg to be leveled individually, depending on the terrain. It keeps the stove very solid, and the legs store inside of the stove pipe and stove body, saving pack space. About as simple as it can get. I also put 2 spray paint lids on each end of the stove pipe, and this protects my pack and it's stuff bag from sharp edges.

legs2.jpg

legs1.jpg

legs3.jpg

legs4.jpg

legs5.jpg

I silicone treated the stove jack early this am, as it is nice out, so I pitched the sl5 and did it up, and am leaving it to cure all day. I also painted up my stakes orange, for easy visibility. Today I just staked out all 4 corners, and then unzipped the door, went in, and installed the center pole. This is really simple, BUT, you don't get a 6' high pole extension, it is shorter. This is quite acceptable though. I did not drive the stakes all the way down, but left them half out, so that you can see how many more tiedowns I installed, and how truly a tight seal to the ground is achieved with my modifications.

legs8.jpg

legs7.jpg

legs6.jpg

My stakes which will be easy to find

legs9.jpg

I also added reflective guy lines to the tipi for night illumination

I made a tent stake puller also out of a 3", 1/4" diameter aluminum rod, and 1/16" ss aircraft cable. I painted it orange too. This is so I am not tempted to use the shelter tie down loops for pulling up stakes.
legs10.jpg

Last edited:
Your stove looks like it is melting into a crumpled up mess.

I bet your neighbors keep a pretty close eye on the kids.:D

12 posts on your own thread, nice. Admin may want some of their bandwidth back. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks tk:way: Also, These stoves will warp, as this is the nature of the beast. That shim stock material is only .004 thickness, so once it heats, it will warp a little. This only affects the appearance and not the functionality of the stove though. These stoves will probably last a guy a lifetime, no more then an average hunter uses them on a couple of hunts a year. The ss shim stock is thin, but durable.

Top Bottom