Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

To mow or not to mow

Daver

PMA Member
Regarding properly preparing to plant a food plot on what is now a standing CRP field(mostly brome grass)...

Is it better to first mow standing CRP before applying Roundup or is it just as effective to spray the standing CRP?

The first food plot will be a Biologic mix, some clover, brassicas and oats/rye.

Is this a plot for next year ? If it is mow it around labor day it will come back about 6 in before frost hit that with round up the gen. brand works next spring all the grass will be dead. Disk it up should work up pretty good but might be muddy from all the dead grass keeping it from drying out.
smile.gif

If you are fall planting, with your mix I assume you are, mow it - a couple times if it is tall to chop up the grass residue, then spray it with roundup after it grows back to 6-8 inches tall.

If you are spring planting, mow some firebreaks this fall and burn it next March. When it greens up and gets 6-8 inches tall, spray it with Roundup.

I've figured out that brome is much easier to kill in the fall and summer than the spring. I got the same advice Windwalker just gave. Have had decent luck plowing/disking to kill it then seeding rye or wheat late fall.

Top Bottom