Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Toad" Smith

all4s

Life Member
Any of you old timers remember this guy? He was a friend of a friend who I had the pleasure to meet. They tought me the art of sneaking the corn, can't wait for a windy day. Anyone else out there get a charge out of this type of hunting?

Hunt on All4s

I met the guys several times,quite a character.PM me your address and I'll send you a copy of his book. The IBA has several of his books if anyone is interested.

I've hunted this way a few times in the past, but seemed to run into bedded does and fawns that I found difficult to manuever around without setting off a foot stamping, nose-snorting, "deer explosion", kinda wrecking the element of surprise. It is a rush though to spot a deer on the ground at close range and be able to get so close to it.

I'm no old timer, but are you guys talking about the Toad Smith, the great catfish hunting who helped write a catfishing book for In-fisherman?

jason

Yup, Toad really had his heart in the game, so much so that he actually used a piece of his own heart to catch a catfish!
shocked.gif

Hunt on All4s

I've got an artical about him in one of my mags. It was about him and deer hunting. It is an older mag. I believe it was right after he died.

speaking of Toad having a heart. i read in one of his articles that he had a heart attack and a small part of his heart was damaged. he then wrote that he kept the heart and used it for catfish bait. that's all i remember him for was that and the fact that he was a flathead catching machine.

When he had heart surgery, he asked the doctor if he could see the piece of heart they took out, and the doctor brought it to him in a jar. He took one look at it and said "I'm taking that with me." He actually did use it to catch a catfish. He told me this himself and he also told me quite a few other stories that really make you shake your head.

He went on an african safari and he said he "happened" to have a turkey diaghram call with him so he put it in his mouth when he was sitting around an evening campfire with a bunch of hunters and native trakcers. He would stick his finger in his ear, then yelp on the call as he twisted it. By the end of the hunt the natives all thought he was some sort of witch doctor or something.

He was quite a character. He did author a book on deer hunting but his true specialty was fishing northwest Iowa Rivers. He had them dialed in. His claim to fame was that Doug Stange put him on the map. Doug was a high school english teacher in Sibley, where Toad lived, and they were fishing buddies. Doug got hired as the editor of Infisherman magazine in the early days when Al and Ron Lindner were just getting it up and running. Doug would always write about some weird experience with Toad which made him pretty well known. Last I knew Toad's daughter still had a few copies of his deer hunting book.

In response to the original question, yes I do a lot of cornfield hunting. I was first introduced to it in a vide back in the late 80's called bownunting October Whitetails. It is a classic and I see it is circulating in stores again.

I modified their technique and created what I call the "sneak and peak" method. I have killed quite a few deer this way. I wrote about it in my 1993 book Corn-Fed Giants.

While looking around at In-fishermans website.. I found a cartoon and artical about Toad... Heres a little from the artical, and the web address. This is Toad Smith at his best! Enjoy!!

"Fast chickens," Toad called 'em. But not fast enough. A few of the chickens, as I came to expect over the years, would have a 22 caliber bullet hole placed just so. "No time to be chasin' chickens," Toad would say. What he meant, of course, was that he'd slowed some over the years. "You double ding-dang betcha," Zacker would have agreed, cackling like the old rooster he was. Add to this larder of fresh veggies and fast chickens a few of the small cats we'd catch from the river. Call 'em fast cats if you want. But not fast enough.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/exclusives/if0406_CampCatfish/index.html

Top Bottom