Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tonights Observations

jw_wildfire

Finally got back out tonight after having been sick for a week. Got to my stand and in a weeks time the woods have exploded. Within 100 yards of my stand there were 12-15 freshly rubbed trees and several really fresh scrapes.

Got in the stand at 3 and saw the first deer at 430. At about 5:30 about a 110" 8 pointer came from directly down wind and walked within 3 yards of the base of my ladder stand. He stuck around for 10 minutes or so and then headed toward the corn field. He met 3 does on the way and proceeded to chase them in a few circles and then off into the woods. In total I saw 10 does and 4 bucks with the 8 pointer being the biggest.

Things seem to really be coming to life in the woods!

Were the winds blowing like they were down here in Cedar Rapids?

They were blowing a good 25 or so and had my tree rocking pretty good. And they were not particularly favorable for the stand I was sitting in, but I had to get out.

Interestingly enough, most of the deer came from dead down wind and I never got busted. I had an acorn rage buck bomb and sprayed a bunch of that around me in the stand and on the ground. I sprayed it on a bunch of leaves on the trail in one of my shooting lanes and sure enough, when that 8 pointer walked by he stopped and took a few moments to sniff that spot. Would have been awesome had he been a shooter!

Saw my first two decent bucks this morning. One 170 10 pt. 65 yds away and too dark to shoot. Discouraged to find over 300 acres of crp turned back to crops so tactics had to be changed. Due to health reasons i'm looking for my biggest one ever this muzzy season. Prob be my last real hunt where I can still take them on the deer's own terms. Love to still hunt big bucks. The 170 was straight downwind from me and not freaked at all. Wish I could say the same for myself. Perfect broadside and me waiting for enough light to see clear. I'll be leavin shortly for my first late day hunt this year..........ck

jw wildfire, that would be baiting deer and would be illegal to do in Iowa. Any deer you take from that stand would be considered tainted.

Tim Hull said:
jw wildfire, that would be baiting deer and would be illegal to do in Iowa. Any deer you take from that stand would be considered tainted.

It is a scent ..... Not illegal

Sent from the iPad using IW

Tim Hull said:

Huh? Buck bomb is no different than doe pee in a bottle. There is nothing there for a deer to eat or lick. I guess I don't agree with your assessment but will be checking with a warden. Maybe I am unaware of some rules regarding scents?

Tim Hull said:

Huh? Baiting with a buck bomb? Its no different than doe pee in a bottle. there is nothing for a deer to eat or lick. Is there something in the law regarding scents that I am missing? I guess I don't agree with your interpretation but I will be checking with a warden......

I seen the acorn rage and thought the same thing.But i think it is a spray can,I know that is what buck bomb is.

Top Bottom