Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Top Dressing

2dblind

Question for you all that have more in depth knowledge than I. What if any do you sew in your beans in late August time frame? I was thinking of dressing the field with winter rye with hopes that when the bean leaves fall I can get some bonus feed in with the beans to make the plot last longer.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

There are other options, but I stick to one of two things.

1. Cereal grain

OR

2. Radishes (leave all other brassicas out)

In either case, broadcast them right when beans start to yellow.

Example of both:

Cereal grain
Beans%20%20winter%20wheat_zps2bse7pnb.jpg

Radishes
Beans%20%20Radishes_zpss0at9i0x.jpg

Last edited:
Yep did winter rye at that time frame into beans. Killed the rye this spring and frost seeded red clover into that.

I broadcast the seed direct without disturbing the soil and would add that the only time I have wasted seed doing this is broadcasting the seed too early. If you have good thick beans they can shade out and kill any sprouting seeds if done too early. I always wait till the bean leaves just start to yellow. Have had good luck with all cereal grains, clover, even left over turnip and rape seed. The brassicas will typically just be small and just for forage but have had nice field of golf ball size purple tops on a mild fall. I always add nitrogen (urea 46-0-0).

How would you get the urea into the ground in this situation? If you are no tilling into the beans. Are you basically waiting to do it prior to a rain forecast?

Top Bottom