Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trace minerals

Shedhuntermd

PMA Member
I was just talking to a land owner were I hunt and he was interested to make some feeding stations. We talked about having stations with trace minerals instead of mixing in the soil, for a more direct intake. Do any of you have any recommendations on a product to use, we do not want to use the over priced stuff. We are interested in something that is made for farm use, so it will be cheaper. You guys have any advice?

Thanks,

Ryan

1 part Di-calcium phosphate

2 parts Trace mineral salt

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

Is this what you mean Ryan? I have used some mixed with ground grain as well and they devoured it.

My family has used some mineral we use from the feedstore.

I dont remeber what exact name of it is; I think it says Calf mineral on the bag? But its basically just Calcium. We mix it with salt and pour on the ground. I know this probably isnt what your looking for but thought I would offer it.

Dean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 part Di-calcium phosphate

2 parts Trace mineral salt

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.
</div></div>

That's a pretty darn good mix! I just use sheep mineral (which contains the di-cal and more) along with trace mineral salt.

TM salt is like 95% salt with "trace's" of certain minerals added so one doesn't really have to add more salt to the mix.

Personally I think they eat it way better mixed with soil then in a container...but I haven't tried mixing grain with it either /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

When I p/u some next time I'll post the ingrediants /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

How much antler growth do you think these mineral licks put on a deer. 2%, 5% ???????
confused.gif

I'm curious b/c I'd like to whip one up and dump it in the forst where i hunted this yr, their diet isn't very high in protein there.

Saskguy are you trying to grow a 400"er LOL
grin.gif

It would not hurt. The Alfalfa around your place is real high in protein. I imagine the extra calcium and phosphorus would only make monster bucks bigger!

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about making a box with a Cover over it so it won't get as wet but I would mix it with Dirt in the box.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you mix grain or something that will spoil, the salt and minerals are better off not just on the ground but mixed in with the soil.

Here's a link to some pics and discussion on this subject: Mineral Mix

I can't say that I know why but they seem to eat it better if it's soaked into the soil.

We always used protective mineral feeders for our cattle when feeding loose mineral but I never had any luck with deer eating it that way
confused.gif

They really don't like eating the mineral anyway...it's the salt they are after.

The cattle were the same way...had to mix it with a molasses mix to get them to eat it.
smirk.gif

Pretty tough to say how much if any it actually helps antler growth but I figure it's cheap enough...it can't hurt.

I always keep in mind that this state was producing some huge bucks long before anyone ever dreamed of giving them minerals and choice food plots
smirk.gif

Here's what I use:

Trace Mineral

Sheep Mineral

The trace mineral is 90% min. salt and the sheep mineral has 15% salt as well as vitamins.

50# of TM is $6.50 and 50# of sheep mineral is $16 and some change.

You can buy some variation of this at most any feed store or TSC.

[ QUOTE ]
How much antler growth do you think these mineral licks put on a deer. 2%, 5% ???????
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Kaare,

I know that it sure isnt going to hurt anything. An uncle of mine claims that after a few years that he has used mineral blocks and a few small food plots claims he can tell the difference on his property from 8 to 10 years ago. He said its not huge like turning 6points into 10s or anything but he said the #1 he has noticed is increase in mass in the bucks he has taken and the ones he has seen. He said the body size of fawns and small does seems to have increased as well but he attributes that more to QDM than foodplots.

Dean

Interesting article in the WI newsletter but more interesting is the "label".

Can't see paying for 10% protein in a mineral mix.. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

WI News click on Beware! Deer Poison on the left side.

Compared to $16 feed store mineral:

Sheep Mineral

The article does have some good warnings if your mixing your own "concoctions" though...

More on mineral licks

Top Bottom