Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tractors

Any of the main three would be a great choice. As for John deere being the best that's the same debate as ford chevy dodge. I've run all three they all get the job done well. The difference in price of not buying a JD you could buy implements with

I think a skid loader is what I'm gonna buy. Can do all I need a tractor to do plus more. If set on tractor I agree buy bigger than you need. Mfwd and loader would be worth investment. As for which is better? Family farms with John Deere. I will say they are expensive and as for superior parts and service I disagree. I have a 4020 on acreage, was just quoted $2000-2200 at minimum, $700 parts and 12 hrs labor to replace brakes. Took myself and my father 5 hours and $700 parts but had to replace worn out parts that shop would have charged extra.

I could buy two badass tractors for what a new skidloader costs ;) Lots of great options out there.

If i wanted an all around tractor for ONE FARM for non agriculture stuff (say I was not doing 500 or 2,000 acres of crops or something large scale) - food plots, spraying, mowers, working up ground, dirt projects with loader & moving stuff with loader (infinite list on how often I use loaders), pulling small drill, whatever.....
Really small amount of work and non aggressive type stuff- could get away with as little as 30-35. Ideally I'd want 75-85hp. If pocket book allowed, 100-125hp. Big time depends on what ur Doing. If ur wanting to pull a 10-15' drill or pull a full fertilizer cart, stuff like that- u better be looking at 100hp+. U wanna pull 4 row planter, 500 lbs fertilizer spreader, 7-8' rotary cutter, 10' disc- pry 50-75. Smaller than that- can do smaller tractor. Also- remember there's a whole class of implements that have hydraulics- most. So if u r using those u need a set in back. Some folks may or may not need that. Last- category 1 or 2 hitch will also dictate some implements. Easy to match em up once u have ur tractor. I'd get more hp than u think u need BUT if ur telling me ur working 5 acres a year or 100 acres- that's pry gonna change my opinion of how big u need. What's primary or possible things u gonna do with it? How many acres? Transport it or no?

I am wanting it to help with food plots. Good plot totals are about 6 acres. Wanting a small drill, cultipacker (5'-6') and also a sprayer. Definitely want a mower and loader along with a small disc or tiller. Also want it for moving snow and little projects around the house. Would like something I can haul because my property is not at my house. Also don't need it for major dirt work because I have access to equipment through work.

I went round and round in my head a few years ago about new vs used, tractor vs skidloader, cab or open, which brand, etc. I chose this 75 HP tractor for several reasons and have been super happy with it.
- I chose new and went with CaseIH because that is the only Tractor dealership in Pella. Buying local and having service and parts locally is important to me.
- It has a universal loader on it so the bucket pops off and I can put other things on the front in seconds. I already have pallet forks and a grapple bucket and actually use those more than the dirt bucket that came with it.
- I work alone most all the time and my father-in-law gave me this advise, "if you have a skid loader and it tips forward or you have trouble with something on the loader you may get trapped inside as the door is on the front." With a tractor I can always get out or work on the load.
- 4Wd was not a question to me - it was 100% necessary. I don't leave it on all the time but have had to turn it on enough times that I know I couldn't be without it.
- Almost went without a cab but it was only $4000 more to get the cab with A/C, air ride seat, radio, etc and I thought it was worth it. Mowing food plots on 90 degree days or pushing snow in below zero temps, the heater and AC are awesome.
- Having a 3 point on the back lets me put plenty of things back there to do various jobs. I have a 7' brush mower, 7' box blade and a 7' rotary tiller - all big enough to cover my tracks and get work done fast.
- This tractor has an extra high road gear and will do almost 30mph down the highway so it gets from farm to farm rather quickly. Someday I may get a flatbed trailer that I could haul it with but driving is not too bad.
- I haven't second guessed my decision once and would buy the exact same setup if I had to do it again today.

75C.jpg

Boyd - what do you do with the grapple bucket v. the dirt bucket? I have a dirt bucket and use it all the time, but I am not sure what application I might have with a grapple bucket.

As to the original question...I have a 40hp, 4wd, with a FEL, 6' brush mower, 6' land scraper, 6' disk and a 10' drag harrow...for now. :D There are always more implements to get!

I love it and it gets the job done for me...and after many years of trying to food plot with an ATV, etc, the tractor has been a true Godsend.

The grapple bucket has slots in the floor to let dirt back out and two hydraulic arms on top to "grab" stuff. I use it for hauling away brush, moving trees and brush I trim down, clearing fencelines, picking up rocks, etc. Super handy to have on when mowing as if there is a tree down along an edge I can just pick it up and move it to wherever I want instead of just pushing it to the side like I used to do. Slowly getting a lot of fencerows trimmed back and cleaned up since it is so much handier to move away the limbs.
Not exactly the same but very similar to this.
RockGrappleBucketFrontRight-300x300.jpg

Last edited:
gunrunr,

I've got the same tractor. Bought it new in 2014. Couldn't be happier. It does everything I need it to.

I don't want to insult anyone's budget, opinions or what they think is required for Iowa acreages and food plots but below is about the MINIMUM I think any member should be considering for about any application. This is my smaller tractor (big tractor is usually pulling this little guy out), my little one - for like clover plots, light trail making & small area plots, etc....
picture.php

I sell green for a living gang, if anyone wants advice or pricing give me a call. 319-350-5825 (work phone)

LOL, look at the size of the bucket compared to the Truck, hate to see your fuel bill :)

I have a Mahindra 3535 and I can't say enough good things about it. When I was looking at buying it was between JD and Mahindra. The reason I went with the Mahindra was for the price point I was looking at I could get twice the tractor with a longer warranty, plus the dealer is just two miles down the road.

I have a Mahindra 3535 and I can't say enough good things about it. When I was looking at buying it was between JD and Mahindra. The reason I went with the Mahindra was for the price point I was looking at I could get twice the tractor with a longer warranty, plus the dealer is just two miles down the road.
they are the #1 selling tractor in the world for a reason

Hate to bump older threads but good info on here and I'm also in the market; at a much smaller scale. I need to get a riding mower for my yard and thinking about other uses for it. There are some subcompact utility tractors with mowing deck, pto, loader and ghp around 25 and PTO HP around 19. First priority is mowing. I could definitely use a loader and other attachments on plots, habitat work, etc. What can I REALLY do with this low HP? Push brush and deadfall, pull a small disc, carry some rock or am i dreami g? Might be concerned about non-turf tires in my yard as well and concerned with only turf tires at my farm.

I'm all about bigger is better and always wanting more hp. But, really I just want to take care of the landscaping and maybe get a little more out of having to buy something anyways. I can't consider an actual riding mower and a bigger tractor just for fun. Thanks guys

A lot more than people realize is the answer. My first "tractor" was a JD 4100 at a whopping 19 HP. Had a loader, 60" belly mower, 4' tiller was no problem. 4' brush hog too. Pushed trees, brush, etc. It was also my lawn mower. R4 tires won't be too hard on a lawn if you take it easy.

A lot more than people realize is the answer. My first "tractor" was a JD 4100 at a whopping 19 HP. Had a loader, 60" belly mower, 4' tiller was no problem. 4' brush hog too. Pushed trees, brush, etc. It was also my lawn mower. R4 tires won't be too hard on a lawn if you take it easy.

Amazing how just a few sentences can put me at ease :D

Top Bottom