Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tractors

Deere makes some great stuff. Some of the deere stuff I've bought is crap though. I like all my deere tractors... Are there better? I'm sure. If I buy a 50hp Deere with a loader & MFWD for food plots OR a Kubota or a Mahindra & have a good service place nearby, will I tell a huge difference in my results? Probably not. If I were any of you... I'd spend time researching which models are more "bullet proof" and which products and models are problematic. I've noticed this to the extreme with big HP tractors, buying the wrong year or S/N range, big troubles with XYZ. Just do your homework in the model you wanna buy beforehand or no matter the company making it, you could have known problems with that model or year. It's the same as vehicles really.

Rest of the stuff..... For BASIC STUFF guys on here do.....

Planters: can't beat finger pick-up 7000 Deere's or Kinze's.

Drills: Great Plains & a few others. Deere SUCKS, IMO.

Rotary mowers: RHINO, their heaviest duty (or even medium duty) is the best rotary cutters I've ever used, period. I have a CX-15 Deere batwing right now, it's the heaviest commercial grade batwing for constant 4" cutting diameters. Rhino's will beat it out. Same with my MX-7 Vs my 7' Rhino - Rhino is tougher by a good bit. Deere is good but Rhino is the premium in cutters, IMO. I don't like Woods and I don't like a lot of cheapies that I've seen as headaches unless used really lightly.

Discs: I lean towards IH. I have an IH 496 disc, I think 25' & I have 2 IH smaller food plot discs. Best I've used. I have some deere discs that are "good" but I give edge to IH. Both are good though & plenty of other quality products too if you can get parts & Support but those are 2 top ones with IH having edge IMO. Big stuff, mixed on sunflower discs & liked another that I messed with that's blanking me out.

Rotary tillers: geesh, I think it was the heavy duty Maschio that I recall having best luck with. Back in memory, the heavy one they made was worth the extra $ - slip clutches, heavy duty gear box, etc. No shear pins. Really well built but others are great too.

Sprayers: Sprayer specialties & Hardi are what I run on medium to large scale - quality, great. I think a few others are decent. I DESPISE, I MEAN WANT TO SMASH IT (like the photo copier scene in Office Space" - the FIMCO GARBAGE. I hate them so much it's unreal. I have re-fabbed every part on all my sprayers and bought everyhing from new pumps/motors, hoses, nozzles, switches, booms - you name it. All I have left that's original is the tank. That company makes the cheapest, BS garbage I could ever imagine. same with spreaders, any of their sprayers, you name it. I simply can't imagine how a company could go cheaper on quality. I mean, I instantly thought, "it has to be cheap chinese imports" - NOPE, cheap american garbage. All around bad crap. Horrid. I've re-fabbed at least 7-8 items of theirs from head to toe. Stuff I bought or inherited. NEVER EVER will I buy a FIMCO piece of crap. I'd rather buy a Chinese product that was made with child labor (under 7 year olds) & falls apart after one week - I'd actually feel better about that & I bet the 7 year olds would produce a better product.

Spreaders: JD, Earthway and a few others are pretty nice. Read reviews.

Sorry, killing some time in CA right now before I lose my mind in "crazy central". Hope you all get some quality stuff and can learn a few lessons on what not to buy and what's some quality stuff.

Kubota B3030

I have a Kubota B3030 that I use for food plotting, as well as mowing the yard, pushing snow, etc. I think that I bought it 8 years ago or so. Kubota has newer B3xxx models that would be similar. I have a mid-mount mower (60" deck) for mowing the lawn, as well as the front end loader, the back hoe, a 6' disc harrow, 5' tiller, box scraper, PTO 3-pt seeder (cone shaped looking thing), brush mower, old 3pt Brillion seeder without the box that I use for a cultipacker, and recently acquired a sickle bar mower and hay rake that are sized for the tractor. Great power, gets me into the timber food plots easily and the Mrs. can get on it with her bikini and mow. ;)

I have a Kubota B3030 that I use for food plotting, as well as mowing the yard, pushing snow, etc. I think that I bought it 8 years ago or so. Kubota has newer B3xxx models that would be similar. I have a mid-mount mower (60" deck) for mowing the lawn, as well as the front end loader, the back hoe, a 6' disc harrow, 5' tiller, box scraper, PTO 3-pt seeder (cone shaped looking thing), brush mower, old 3pt Brillion seeder without the box that I use for a cultipacker, and recently acquired a sickle bar mower and hay rake that are sized for the tractor. Great power, gets me into the timber food plots easily and the Mrs. can get on it with her bikini and mow. ;)

Perfect post! thank you! I'm looking to get the same use out of something like that

I am no expert but I have had 4 tractors and all were Kubotas. Kept going up in size. Started with a 24 horse and #4 was a 60 horse. Never had an issue with any of them. The one thing I will say is a good cab is worth its weight in gold!....

I went with a kubota. Older 30hp. Dangerous machine at that size...meaning it's enough to do a lot of things but you want bigger to do more! I agree that they make some pretty good little machines

I have a Kubota 58 hp and had a 37 hp Kubota before that and have had no problems at all with them.

Top Bottom