Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trad vs Wheels

I am seriously looking at switching over to shooting a long bow. I am wondering what everyones goods and bads are about traditional bows vs compounds?

I was thinking the same thing . Only my mind is made up. This is the last season with the compound. Getting a recurve after season is over. Can't wait

Unless I limit my effective shooting distance to 5 yards, I cannot shoot them with acceptable accuracy. I have shot with people who are amazing with them, but I am not one of those people.

i'm like 150. tried for 2 yrs. might have got my range to 15 yds. takes a ton of practice but must be very rewarding to score with one.

My thoughts are pretty simple, I shoot a recurve all summer. But I work way to hard at getting in range of mature deer to risk anything with the shot.

There are a lot of variables that you can't control when hunting and doing your job (shooting) is the one thing that you can! For me, I need to be as lethal as possible when I get my chance. So I've got my compound in hand at all time.

I do think that it would be extremely rewarding to kill one with traditional gear, but the risks outweigh the reward for me.

I struggled for about 4 years to make the switch. Honestly, if you want to go traditional full time - you need to sell your wheels. Trust me, it has to happen.

From there, spend all winter, spring, summer shooting and get yourself comfortable to at least 15y. From there, you'll just need to alter set ups to bring deer within your comfortable range.

It may come down to what exactly you want out of hunting. Do you like the trad bow aspect of it or are you wanting to 'make meat' and shoot a big buck every year? There's plenty of guys who fill their freezer and get horns for the wall (see Wensel bros), but it is harder. If you dont think you can be lethal or have any doubts - you may need to re-think.

For me, I like the reduced weight of a trad bow - quicker target acquisition and the art of shooting a traditional bow. I love hunting big bucks but also love eating venison. I'm perfectly happy shooting a doe if the situation calls for it.

It's a totally personal thing. And you can kill big bucks year over year with one. It just takes a lot more time devoted to shoot a trad bow well.

I struggled for about 4 years to make the switch. Honestly, if you want to go traditional full time - you need to sell your wheels. Trust me, it has to happen.

From there, spend all winter, spring, summer shooting and get yourself comfortable to at least 15y. From there, you'll just need to alter set ups to bring deer within your comfortable range.

It may come down to what exactly you want out of hunting. Do you like the trad bow aspect of it or are you wanting to 'make meat' and shoot a big buck every year? There's plenty of guys who fill their freezer and get horns for the wall (see Wensel bros), but it is harder. If you dont think you can be lethal or have any doubts - you may need to re-think.

For me, I like the reduced weight of a trad bow - quicker target acquisition and the art of shooting a traditional bow. I love hunting big bucks but also love eating venison. I'm perfectly happy shooting a doe if the situation calls for it.

It's a totally personal thing. And you can kill big bucks year over year with one. It just takes a lot more time devoted to shoot a trad bow well.

The reduced weight and faster targeting are the two things that are drawing me towards trad. I have messed around with trad bows in the past and could hit a pie plate at 15 yds. I am hoping that if I mess with it more, I will get better.

After the last 7 years of not getting a shot at a decent buck and letting a lot of smaller 120-130s walk I am thinking about giving up on chasing antlers and just meat hunt. Not to mention, I could possibly done filling the freezer before it gets cold out.

You'll be much more thankful and satisfied with your harvests with a trad bow - I promise you. It's more work to be a traditional archer/hunter but the reward is well worth it.

I would be happy with a 120-130" deer anyday - wheels or trad bow honestly. But, you'll need to make the most of each shot opportunity since your effective range will be cut in half. That's what I struggled with it at first. But, once you get your first harvest under your belt, confidence will grow and you won't miss it.

Now is a good time to quit the wheels and go trad. If you've done it before - you know what you are getting yourself into. I really love shooting my trad bow - where as my compound the luster had died off.

I guess after this season is over I will start to spend more time on my form and release. Just have to find where I can do it inside till it warms up.

That pretty well sums it up. What do we want out of it?

Top Bottom