Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trail camera batteries

LYON

PMA Member
Alright, I've debated over what batteries to use in my cameras more than any person probably should. So, what do you use? What works the best?
I've run alkalines in mine for quite a few years with decent results during the warm months. When it gets cold, they freeze and die WAY too quickly. Frustrating.

This summer I bit the bullet and ordered a nice charger and some rechargeables. I have been marginally impressed with them. I got some high Mah (2800), low discharge ones and they do okay. The thing I didn't realize until AFTER I got into them is that rechargeable AA's only output 1.2 volts. Standard AA's (alkaline and lithium) should have an output of 1.5v. Our cameras are made to feed off of 1.5 volt batteries. So even with freshly charged batteries, my cameras never show full battery since the voltage is lower than what it's made for. Using the rechargeables, I've been needing to swap batteries every couple of weeks, granted I'm running my cams on video mode, so it definitely takes more juice. All in all, I like using them since I don't have to buy more, but it's turned out to be more of a hassle than I thought it would be. There looks to be a promising future for rechargeable LITHIUM AA's though. Right now there are only a couple of random companies that make them and they are super expensive, but that will likely be the ticket in the future.

I ran 4 lithiums in one of my cameras this year and was REALLY impressed. They are expensive, but man it was nice not having to worry about replacing batteries every time I checked that camera.

I have noticed a HUGE difference in alkaline between the really cheap off brands and name brands. Some of the cheap ones are horrible.

Just curious what everyone else does, what works, what doesn't. What brands are best etc. etc.

I run lithiums year round..generally 1 set it good all year unless its in a heavy pic area... This year I ran into a batch of bad ones by buying "bulk" off amazon..I wont be doing that again..

Lithiums hands down. Last a full year on most cams. Figure less than $10 per cam a year is worth not having to mess with them more often

LITHIUMS!!!! Bulk for like $1.30-ish each. Ultimate lithium’s.
I got rechargeables in my cell cams as lithium’s are no go - burn out in 2 weeks. I do batteries like u have and then I run a 6v 12amp battery on ground with cable plugged in so it can’t get pulled out. Usually get a month. If I add solar panel - lasts forever.

Rayovac from Menards. On sale a 48 pack is $10. They compare to enigizer as far as quality. Less than 21 cents a battery. On my heaviest use cams I'll run thru 3 sets a year. So for $.63/year/battery much cheaper than lithium. Price will keep coming down on lithium, but math isnt there for me yet!

I bought 100 Lithium's on EBAY for $80.00 bucks still on there right now.. Energizer comes in a 100 Pack Box. Worked great this year.

Lithiums just because I don't want to change them as often. However, the batteries will die with little to no warning. Only downside. Camera will show 100% then die 3 days later.

Had decent luck with standard energizers the last couple years in my coverts. I probably would have switched to lithiums a while back, but Costco always has awesome sales on copper tops or energizers. They don't perform like lithiums, but I'm still able to get 2-3 months out of them in winter months. I usually run August through November on the same batteries and then swap out. Most still had 2 out of 4 bars, but if they're low, they'll dive quick in cold temps and you'll be beating your head against the tree wondering what brute left the huge tracks right in front of your cam, while your batteries were dead! Lol

I did the rechargeable dance about 5 years back and found out it's not worth the hassle. Maybe they've improved since then, but 2 weeks was about as long as they'd go it seemed. After a couple times of dead batteries and lost intel I switched back to regular batteries.

Top Bottom