Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trail Cameras

S

Scooby Doo

Hi guys,
I was wondering if any of you were interested in owning a trail camera?
My friend and I have been trying to build a homemade one and we finally got it figured out.We were thinking about selling some of these,but were wondering if anyone would be interested in them first.We would sell them for around $250. A CamTrakker costs $459.We have got alot of comments from our friends.Ours has time date stamp rechargeable battery and charger and an optional day only sensor if you would like.
Well thanks alot!! Ill be glad to hear what you guys think about this. Maybe you wont even be interested.
TTM

Make it theft proof and I'll take a two of them. That is the main reason I have not thought about getting one.

[This message has been edited by scout (edited 12-19-2000).]

Scout,
There is no way that it can be totally theft proof. You could put a cable lock on one but all that is going to do is slow a thief down. All I can say is dont tell a soul where you have placed it. But if you hunt public land (or even private for that matter) there is someone going to be wondering around and could see it. So I dont blame you for that.
TTM

A metal box with a place to attach a heavy cable and good secure lock that could house the camera would be a good accessory perhaps. I would think that the auto wind would tip off anyone passing buy even if it was not initially seen. Imagine a coon hunter passing by it at night. After it freaked him out he would take it because it is evidence of him tresspassing. Mushroom hunters,ginsing hunters,coon hunters, alot of people are in most of the timber around here. Having permission or not.I'd be suprised if it would last one season without a good theft protection.

The camera is in the case with insulation all the way around it. Believe me you would have to be right up next to it to hear the film advance. But yeah if someone walks buy it at dark they will definitly see the flash and it would come up missing for sure some how.
TTM

Hey guys I have a question about how they would work when it is this cold? When batteries get cold they lose there power, wouldn't this cause a problem getting the camera to work? Would the lens get frosted over?

later
Doug

Doug,
The camera works fine and the lense dosnt get frosted over.I was worried about that also but my friend and I have had ours out for the last week. We went and got his film out of his yesterday and he rewond the film early so we can see how the pics turned out. They were fine, it works great. We were worried that the snow might have piled up around the camera lense but it didnt.He didnt get any pics of any bucks yet but got some nice pics of does.
I went and checked mine on yesterday and I had 12 pics taken so I moved it to a better trail and I hope I am developing some film on Sat. or Sun.I cant wait! As for the battery the way we figured it out the battery should last about 2 months but I dont know what this cold weather will do to it. Even if it lasts a month that will work fine for me.The battery in the camera should last 1 year.Well thanks alot!!
TTM

Scout,
I was doing some thinking about how to get the camera locked to a tree and I came up with this... I can put a steel frame around the box and then weld a piece of steel to the frame and a chain welded to that. After you attach it to the tree you put this steel frame around it and paddle lock the other end of the chain to it. It will slow someone down anyway.Well talk to you later!!
TTM

FYI, I had a treestand stolen that was locked on with a chain. So this year I used a cabel lock I use on my bike (about 3/8 in around) in the same tree and someone tried to steel it again. I said "tried to steal it".

Consider using cabels. They wont give to bolt cutters and are extremly hard to cut with hack saw.

Hey Scooby Do I get A cut? I think I have mine working better but it only had one picture. so I am going to move it. Send me more pics. I think you should know who this is.

ScoobyDoo, I also suggest using cable. Just crimp it on one side and let the proud owner choose the lock to use. You could also provide a lag bolt and wrench that have a goofy shape, as to not be tampered with. (like you see in the mens jon only bigger) It could be screwed to the tree AND cabled. All accessories sold at extra cost of course
wink.gif

How well would it work if placed about 10 feet off the ground? Any way to aim it or use a view finder?
You would think I live in a high crime area! Good luck with it!
What is the weight and size?

[This message has been edited by scout (edited 01-12-2001).]

I got an idea for those of you who think your camera might be stolen. What if the first picture on the roll was a photo of you holing a sign that said something like this:

"If the person who brought this film in to be developed did not inform you that this photo was on here, this camera has been stolen. Please call the police and inform them or call the camera's owner at [insert your phone number here]."

Then just make sure you inform them when you take your film in to be developed. Maybe the thief woldn't develop your film, but if he did, you might just catch him and get your camera back. Just thinking out loud. It might work.

I listed my Camtrakker on my homeowners policy. If I remember correctly it was $10.00 per year. If it's stolen they will replace it.

It sure sounds like you guys have a alot of thieves up in Iowa. And the worry about non-resident bowhunters killing all their deer

I have only had one stand stolen. That was out of my yard! Never lost one in the woods. A "trail camera" is much more likely to be stolen than a tree stand, due to its size and value. I'll put our crime rate per-capita up for evaluation with any other state and expect to do very well.
It's prudent to secure any item of value that is left unattended. No since creating a thief!

Top Bottom