Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree stand strap

turkeyriver

PMA Member
Thanks for the info and link on UCRs. I can see using them on steps but not stands. For many years I have been replacing straps with chains for my stands. I leave many of them up for months and I don't have to worry about squirrels or weathering. The best strap setup I ever saw was one where you pulled the loose end up tight and then you pushed the buckle back over center to really tighten it and dropped a pin in to hold it. Tough to describe but it was very similar to a load binder on a chain only this was with a nylon strap. I haven't seen one in years. Do any treestands still use them? Know where you can buy the strap separately?

Googling this topic brings up a black hole of emptiness. I'm wondering if they quit using these in the hunting industry? It appears you were right in your description of "over center" Turkeyriver. They seem to be called overcenter buckles and the only references I find deal with securing cargo. Looks to me like they'd be the ideal thing though, many have a breaking strength of a ton or more. Here's a page I found that has some nice ones:

http://boxertiedown.com/wholesale/-c-3_19

If you were to buy just the buckle like in the above link, does anybody know how to secure a separately purchased strap to it? Seems like one end of the strap would have to be permanently attached?

My search ended at the same site yours did Iowabowtech. It looks like the right thing. The one I have was never attached to a stand. I think I got it with a bunch of straps with some used stands I bought. Yes, you would have to sew one end of the strap to the buckle. The other connection is a flat steel hook that slips over the other end of the buckle. Actually, looking at it closer, the sewn end could be free since once the buckle is closed there is no pull on it. It looks like API now uses a ratchet strap. Anyone know for sure? I'm going to email them and ask why. This over center buckle looks like it would be perfect for stands, or steps for that matter.

I wouldn't trust sewing it though because then you no longer know the strength of the setup. Surely there must be a way to use a manufactured strap in some way. If I did have to build it, I wonder about using a double rivet to make a loop on the one side of the buckle. I'd really like to get away from ratchets. They're too loud for set and hunt stands.

Is this the kind of buckle you are taling about? This is what the API stands use. Never had a problem with any of mine, and they do lock tight.

API customer service worked with me on getting some extra trestand parts i needed. Very fast email replies and very nice people.

You can still get these new.

DSC05126Small.jpg

You could call them or use this email address. They usually get back to me within a day.

API Outdoors Customer Service
Attention: Cammie Arnold
602 Kimbrough Drive
Tallulah, LA 71282
Phone: 1-800-228-4846
customerservice@apioutdoors.com

What you would need would be part# AL102 (2" overcenter buckle, 3" quick pin, strap and flat hook) $12.95

Top Bottom