Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Treehopper

150 Class

Dos and don'ts with the Treehopper systems... please add to this thread if you have any pointers. The treesteps thread a month ago saw quite a few people mentioning the Treehopper systems. For those treestands that you leave out for days, weeks, or months, there is no better system than using these (in my opinion). I have been using this system for years. For me, it is no more than a drill bit and the bolts (tree steps) from Treehopper, my cordless drill, a treestand and tools to prep the area such as a ratcheting pruner, saw, etc.

Do...

• Use the proper drill bit. It drills to the proper depth of the tree and leaves the proper amount of the bolt exposed for safe climbing.
• Drill into tree at a very slight angle.
• Make sure your bit is in tight. Tighten that chuck. Those bits are hard to find on the forest floor, even when you know where you dropped it (yes, I have done this).
• Do bring more steps than you think you will need. There is no such thing as too many but there is such a thing as not enough.
• If you pull the bottom few steps to deter thieves, put a small stick into the hole to mark the hole for you. Even though you know they are there, it will save you some time finding them if they are marked. Even if thieves are not a problem in your area, pulling the bottom few steps (or all steps) can save you a few bucks by putting in the steps when you get there.
• My 18v drill is good for placing two stands, but I have two batteries and bring them both, even if only placing one stand. My 9v drill weighs less and works well for the same day hunt and I know of others who do this too but I would recommend 12v-15v or Treehoppers hand drill (I have not tried this, yet). The 9v won’t be enough if you redo a few holes. Something else I have done many times since it always seems at least one step needs to be moved a few inches this way or that.

I am sure I will think of more later and I hope others will add to this.

Bucket of tools.

DSC00801.JPG

Drill bit from Treehopper.

DSC00796.JPG

Grade-8 bolt (3/8" x 6") installed in hole that I just drilled into the tree.

DSC00854.JPG

Stick placed in hole after I pulled the bolt. That is so it is easier for me to find the hole for the bolt when I return to climb the tree.

DSC00855.JPG

Access to a treestand that I put up preseason.

DSC00795.JPG

I too have used the Treehopper drill and bolt system for years. I personally can't imagine a system I would like better....however, I really have not used the drill bit system much (ie. cordless drill)... I much prefer the hand drill they sold years ago. It takes slightly more effort, but I like it better. I always pull the bolts after the season so the tree holes reseal closed during the spring growing season. They are easily reopened by drilling into the bark wart that forms over the previous hole.

I switched to galvanized bolts a couple of years ago to aid in the prevention of residual rusting. The grade 8 bolts can be painted but it is just more hassle. Does anyone know if galvanization of a bolt affects its tensile strength?

Some guys use the longer bolts but I prefer the 6" bolt for the added strength and resistance to bend. I also discard any bolt that shows the slightest indication of bending.... they only cost around 35 cents each or so. I generally like to prepare my stand sites no earlier than the first weekend of September to prevent the bolts from getting too tight to remove by regrowth of the tree. I remove them during a warmer spell after the season closes. Bolts become very difficult to remove if the temperature is much below freezing.

I had my wife use some heavy duty canvas and sew me a belt pack for my bolts along with a spot to conveniently carry my hand drill.... it fits right on my safety harness at the belt buckle area... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I wish I could get my hands on one of the hand drills they use to sell.

I think the bolts sold by Treehoper are 8". I have wanted to find a local suppy of these but I have not as of yet. Anybody have any ideas as to where to buy the #8 or #9 bolts locally. Anything less that that could be subject to bending couldn't it?

Cornfed are the galvanized bolts of this strong temper? I have never had one bend even the smallest bit.

You should be able to find them at one of the bolt houses here in DSM. Most have a minimum order, but if you could find several people to go in with you it should not be a problem meeting your minimum. Try Des Moines Bolt Supply, Des Moines Industrial Products, Fastenal Products several in town.

Top Bottom