Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

TROPHY FISH WITH AIM-N-HIGH!!!!!

Dont need to say much , but me and freak did DAMAGE!!! and the first HOG sturgeon in my new boat!!
Freak has more pics on his cam , sure he will post also.

fish097.jpg

fish091.jpg

fish087.jpg

fish084.jpg

fish081.jpg

fish080.jpg

fish078.jpg

fish077.jpg

fish076.jpg

Oh ya, and THIS IS THE WAY TO PROPERLY HOLD A REAL CARP!!!

fish082.jpg

Asian Carp.... seriously... and they get big!!! we made it to Illinois water by 9 a.m. this morning and by noon my arm was shot from fighting fish!!! UNBELEIVABLE TRIP!!

I hope the sturgeon made it, they're Lake Sturgeon.

I hope you beat the heads of those carp against the Keokuk dam.

It's mottled color looks like digital camo. I've never seen one before. I'm not much of a fisherman.

I drive past that view of the dam every day and have yet to ever fish down there???

Nice to see you had some luck.

Muddy-we made sure to get the sturgeon into the water quick. Those are awesome fish. The smaller sturgeon in the picture is a different kind of sturgeon than the bigger one. You can tell by the head of the fish on the pictures. I THINK the smaller one is a "shovelnose" and the bigger one is rubbernose "lake sturgeon". You do alot of fishing research so is that correct?

I go up to Des Moines and Typ250 outfishes me. Then he comes down here and outfishes me at my own game. Thats not right.

We caught 12 different species of fish.

50+ Asian carp. Alot over 25 pounds. Some reaching 40
Lots of buffalo carp
Lots of perch
shad
small channel cats
8 Spoonbill
4 billy gar
3 blue cats
3 sturgeon
1 striper
Then we start joking about snagging a walleye. And what do ya know, Typ250 doubles up with a Walleye and a Common carp on the same rig.

Awesome fish guys! I've never seen one of those asian carp before either or a lake sturgeon in Iowa, cool pics. I may have to get AnH to take me sometime. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Aim-n-High, I am 100% certain that both of those sturgeon above are lake sturgeon. The body on the small one is just too thick, the scutes on its back are too large and far apart, the color is way off, and the head is shaped wrong. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Here's a poor picture of a shovelnose we sampled a few years ago, all my "good" pictures are at work.

sn2.JPG

Here's another view of the head on a shovelnose, way more pointed than the small guy up above. Still, it is nice to see younger lake sturgeon out there. That big one is probably older than two of you guys combined... seriously.

sn1.JPG

Thanks for clearing that up Muddy. It had me confused because you can tell from the pictures that the bigger sturgeon doesnt have a nose like the smaller one does. Must just be from aging or something.

I can see where the smaller fish he posted looks similar to a shovelnose, but it is not uncommon for lake sturgeon's rostrums (nose/beak/etc) to gain a "worn down" appearance as they age.
And after looking at the tails in his pictures and the one I posted you can really see the difference in the body right by the tail. Lakes are very thick and shovels are not.

I stand by my mad photo identification skills. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I might have to come down and fish now, I'd LOVE to see a lake sturgeon.

Did you snag the lakes? I see the smaller lake has a fish tail in its mouth. They'd hit dead fish like a channel cat would.

If you had a better picture of that cats fins then we could confirm if it's a blue versus a channel. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Though, below the Keokuk dam I'd buy it being a blue.

Ill vow that hes a Blue. We snagged 3 blues. They are almost white. Alot of people catch blues under the dam by drifting shad. Ive caught thousands of channel cats and they look alot different than a blue. Sometimes the channels look blue when they are spawning.

We snagged the sturgeon. Yes, that little one had a shad stickin out of his mouth. I thought they didnt feed on shad but obviously im wrong

Top Bottom