Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trout in Colorado??

Gladiator

PMA Member
Anyone ever Trout fished in Colorado??? I am heading to Denver next weekand am looking forward to a day fly-fishing possibly in Estes Park. I guess more than anything, I'm looking for anyone who might possibly share a "go-to" spot knowing that this may be my only trip out there in a long time!!

I'm taking a friend out there for his second time ever...

Any advice would be appreciated.

I was advised on 4x-5x tippet with size 6 stoneflies...possibly a split shot rig, with smaller roll-type casts making sure it gets down there! Possibly a hopper for an indicator, or yarn???

Thanks!!

I fished Grand Lake, last year. The colorado river starts below the dam there. It was beautiful there. Lots of trout in the river. I did not havbe the best luck caught one nice rainbow 17 inch ,then broke my fly rod ! When we left there we went to Estes Park I think we took 34 out of Estes Park most places to fish are privite The Big Thompson runs along the road about 15 to 20 miles ther is a public park where the river goes undr the road, caught some nice trout on spinners there . Didnt havelots of time to spend there Sorry do not remimber thr name of the park .Hope this helps a little, good luck fishing

I don't have any Colorado experience, but I have a sister out in Montana and have fished there quite a bit. My advise is to bring a spinning rod and some worms for back up (if allowed). There is nothing better than fly fishing when the fish are biting, but it doesn't always work out that way. I don't think I've ever been skunked out there with the good old wiggley worm.

Also, there is nothing better than ripping a couple nice ones out of a hole some guy decked out in all his orvis gear and 1,000.00 fly rod just pounded with no luck.

Good luck!

Top Bottom